The DVD has landed

On the DCI facebook page there is a post in which they (DCI) all but state that the rights to the synching is/was up to DCI to purchase, and my guess is they didn't want to spend the money ... even though many of us paid $170.oo for the advertised, promised, content.

I have not spoken with anyone about this, but I know from a prior circumstance that if an organization pays a higher fee to one copyright holder, then that organizations is required to pay ALL copyright holders the same higher fee. And in that case, the product would be priced out of reach and $170.00 would be left behind in a trail of dust.

I think the people who received their DVDs today either had one day shipping or they live near the state that the DVDs were shipped from. My guess is that the people who paid for 2 day shipping will get their DVDs tomorrow.

Those of us in Canada have to cross our fingers when DVDs are shipped here.

Tracking stops at the Canadian border. At that point, we have to pray that the postal service has sufficiently fed the sled dogs they use to transport the DVDs - nothing is worse than under-fed sled dogs shredding the DVD packages looking for a decent meal.

Edited by LincolnV

I think the people who received their DVDs today either had one day shipping or they live near the state that the DVDs were shipped from. My guess is that the people who paid for 2 day shipping will get their DVDs tomorrow.

When I pre-ordered I ordered priority air shipping (and I'm only in Pennsylvania). Last week I got a credit to my order for the priority shipping...no communication...just an e-mail telling me about the credit. I still haven't received mine yet. I hope they come soon.

Right?! it was awesome just to see that show again. And onother thing on the DVDs. All of the close ups on performance and soloists were spot on this year

I can't wait to see the multi-cam of The Cadets on the Blu-ray. I've seen two different versions of a multi-can video of The Cadets' finals performance, and I wasn't very pleased with the angles. Your post makes it sound like what's on the Blue-rays are great!

Is there anyone that ordered the Blu-ray via the FanNetwork subscription that has received their Blu-ray yet? If you also ordered the CD via the DCI Store, did it come in the same package or was it packaged separately? Just wondering, as I've received my CD but not my Blu-ray and am wondering if I should be alarmed.

Thanks.

I received the blu-ray yesterday and I'm very pleased with it. The quality is phenomenal and and the sound is as close to being there as it can get. I have yet to watch the Cadets (I'm still a little bitter about not seeing the demons win at least once winky.gif) but the other corps were masterfully done.

• Like 1

I have not spoken with anyone about this, but I know from a prior circumstance that if an organization pays a higher fee to one copyright holder, then that organizations is required to pay ALL copyright holders the same higher fee. And in that case, the product would be priced out of reach and $170.00 would be left behind in a trail of dust.

I'm pretty sure this is a "Favored Nations" clause, and yes, it does come into play every year. This is why it takes BOA a long time to produce their DVDs. Until finalist bands are announced, they have no idea WHO is going to be on the finals DVD. They have to know that before they can begin negotiations on the synch rights for the finals DVD. So if you have 12 bands, and let's say each band used four copyrighted pieces of music in each of their shows, that is 48 pieces of legal paperwork you are dealing with. And let's say that 47 of those copyright holders want $1 per tune in licensing, but the 48 copyright holder wants $5. Doing that math, that would NOT be $52 in licensing fees, but $240 in licensing fees (48 x $5).

As it relates to DCI, I'm pretty sure Kiwanis Kavaliers did get the synch rights, but the royalties that would have been required by this favored nations clause would have made the DVDs way to expensive for DCI to produce and sell.

Got mine today!! Can't wait to pop them in and relive this last season! However, I do have a question/complaint. I got the full DVD/CD bundle which includes both DVD's and CD of the top 25 corps....or so I thought.

On the CD track list it looks like this (by finals placement):

1-18

20-21

24-25

Bonus Tracks

19 (BDB)

22 (OC)

23 (SCVC)

The DVD list looks like this

Disc 1:

1-12

Disc 2:

13-18

20-21

24-25

No Open class corps included on the DVD's at all. I assume Pioneer was included on the DVD/CD's because it is a World Class Corps which makes me happy because I thought they would be excluded for falling below 25th. Now did I miss something completely where it said Open Class Corps were being excluded from the 2nd DVD even though they were in the top 25? That's a major bummer because I really enjoyed those shows this year and was expecting them to be on the DVD's as well. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

Got mine today!! Can't wait to pop them in and relive this last season! However, I do have a question/complaint. I got the full DVD/CD bundle which includes both DVD's and CD of the top 25 corps....or so I thought.

On the CD track list it looks like this (by finals placement):

1-18

20-21

24-25

Bonus Tracks

19 (BDB)

22 (OC)

23 (SCVC)

The DVD list looks like this

Disc 1:

1-12

Disc 2:

13-18

20-21

24-25

No Open class corps included on the DVD's at all. I assume Pioneer was included on the DVD/CD's because it is a World Class Corps which makes me happy because I thought they would be excluded for falling below 25th. Now did I miss something completely where it said Open Class Corps were being excluded from the 2nd DVD even though they were in the top 25? That's a major bummer because I really enjoyed those shows this year and was expecting them to be on the DVD's as well. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction?

Their website says,

2011 World Championships DVD Vol. 2 Description

Featuring 13th-23rd placing World Class Corps

Featuring:

Glassmen

Troopers

The Academy

Colts

Crossmen

Pacific Crest

Teal Sound

Mandarins

Cascades

Jersey Surf

Pioneer

No mention of Div. 2 corps being included

Their website says,

No mention of Div. 2 corps being included

Hmm, interesting. I wonder when that was posted, because I still have my pre-order ticket and it says:

"World Championships DVD Vol. 2

- Features 13th-25th placing World Championship Corps"

It doesn't distinguish between World and Open class there.