Cadets2 question...

Unfortunately he probably is serious. Obviously he doesn't know what it takes to have great keyboard skills - nor has he ever witnessed a great piano player or taken piano lessons for any length of time. Sad, but consider the source.

So are we talking about the skills needed to be a synth player in DCI (Garys post) or what makes a great piano/keyboard player (your post)? Would ask what's needed in DCI for synths but that would be another thread. Would also say "consider the source" but I don't know you (hint...hint).

On topic: Why DCA.... gee dunno... Not having to take off from job or other responsibilities for even a short tour. Already have a corps (Cadets) in the DCI world, why not expand to the "other" side? s/ Guy who did "Senior" corps from age 16-22 cuz he wanted to (aka fit his life better).....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Why DCA? It's simple.

Reach out to a ton of other students who can't afford a full tour but want to compete in a drum corps. They get to keep their summer, have a job and still be a kid.

And yet again...you can have ALL of those same benefits as a DCI Open Class Corps. Nothing presented here is any different than that of MOST DCI Open Class corps and their schedules.

Listen! Competing in DCI Open Class require NO MORE OS A TIME commitment than DCA. That is a FACT!

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

Obviously you dislike DCA as you can see nothing in the positive options that people have given you. If you feel so strongly, instead of asking on here and getting nowhere, why not email George Hopkins yourself and ask?

PS No reason to yell if you don't like the answers to your question....

Edited by LegalEagle50
  • Like 1

So are we talking about the skills needed to be a synth player in DCI (Garys post) or what makes a great piano/keyboard player (your post)? Would ask what's needed in DCI for synths but that would be another thread. Would also say "consider the source" but I don't know you (hint...hint).

On topic: Why DCA.... gee dunno... Not having to take off from job or other responsibilities for even a short tour. Already have a corps (Cadets) in the DCI world, why not expand to the "other" side? s/ Guy who did "Senior" corps from age 16-22 cuz he wanted to (aka fit his life better).....

I'll repeat it AGAIN. You can be a weekend only corps without any big tour and have the same amount of show days OR LESS than DCA in a DCI Open Class corps.

As for the keyboard discussion? It can apply to either. But let me give you an example. Let's say C1 writes for one keyboard player that requires both synth pads AND a pretty difficult piano solo and you have 2 kids trying out for that one spot. One kid gets it, the other goes home - instead of having the opportunity to play that same role in C2.

THEN (to take it a step further) that kid goes to another DCI corps (hopefully) and the next year when the C1 keyboard player ages out (hypothetically), that kid that got cut has no interest in trying out for the Cadets again.

To me, it just makes more sense all around to have C2 compete in DCI Open Class for all of the above reasons I mentioned. But oh well, not my call. Interesting subject for discussion though.

• Like 1

I'll repeat it AGAIN. You can be a weekend only corps without any big tour and have the same amount of show days OR LESS than DCA in a DCI Open Class corps.

No, you can't.

FYI: I have taught a DCI Open Class corps and understand how the tour works. Quite simply, there aren't many DCI Open Class shows within a couple hours drive of Allentown, and the ones that do happen...

A) Aren't necessarily on Saturday nights

and

B) Aren't happening once the DCI Open "tour" begins about two weeks before finals in Michigan City/Indy.

Cadets2 have made it clear that they are marketing to kids who want a weekend only experience. That means Friday evening through Sunday afternoon. You CANNOT do that and participate in DCI Open Class (unless you just want to do a show or two). You CANNOT do it. I'll say it one more time. CANNOT.

Obviously you dislike DCA as you can see nothing in the positive options that people have given you. If you feel so strongly, instead of asking on here and getting nowhere, why not email George Hopkins yourself and ask?

PS No reason to yell if you don't like the answers to your question....

Listen, I don't dislike DCA. I buy a fricken ticket to finals EVERY year and enjoy every minute of it. I'm just making conversation here. Debates get heated. No big deal. At the end of the day, we all are a part of and love the same activity called "drum corps". Don't make me a bad guy for expressing my opinions on a forum designed for doing just that.

Finally, I should make this statement before I'm accused of any other "anti- this or that". I'm just glad the Cadets2 corps exists! I think it's awesome. I just think Open Class DCI is a better fit. Just my opinion. That's all.

If you want me to take it a step further and prove that I'm not "anti-DCA". Another reason I feel this way is because I think C2 has a greater advantage that could be borderline unfair to other DCA corps. DCA is for "all age corps". C2 has an age cap. They are going to get younger kids who are in better shape than the average corps in DCA and quite frankly...will SLAUGHTER everyone on the DCA field this year with their younger and more physically fit talent. Mark my word on that!

• Like 1

And yet again...you can have ALL of those same benefits as a DCI Open Class Corps. Nothing presented here is any different than that of MOST DCI Open Class corps and their schedules.

Listen! Competing in DCI Open Class require NO MORE OS A TIME commitment than DCA. That is a FACT!

I see you only quoted ONE section of my post.. the rest of the post ties directly into the rest of the reasoning, I will not argue with you that being an open class dci corps can provide the same opportunity but thats one SMALL part of it. DCI costs a fortune to join and operate under DCI rules and regulations. DCA not so much. You have to think with business sense here as well.. Obviously YEA!'s question to themselves one day way: "How can we provide kids the opportunity to perform in a drum corps while learning "The Cadet" way AND be cost effective?".. DCA is your answer. They can give the performing opportunity once again to the recent age outs to help mold these new members into maybe one day joining the Cadets. Leadership in a brand new drum corps... hard to come by... they found the best way to make this happen. I'm sorry, excellent leadership is hard to come by.

They are being smart by going this route. It's super cost effective. Drum Corps is a business.. businesses are all about being cost effective.

Again, they want to get more kids involved in the activity.. period. They are doing this the smartest way possible, no doubt.

Edited by MrStellar

DCA is "weekend only" for rehearsals and performances, for the most part,..........

DCI Open Class is not,...........mini tours, finals tour, etc,............MUCH different from DCA

No, you can't.

FYI: I have taught a DCI Open Class corps and understand how the tour works. Quite simply, there aren't many DCI Open Class shows within a couple hours drive of Allentown, and the ones that do happen...

A) Aren't necessarily on Saturday nights

and

B) Aren't happening once the DCI Open "tour" begins about two weeks before finals in Michigan City/Indy.

Cadets2 have made it clear that they are marketing to kids who want a weekend only experience. That means Friday evening through Sunday afternoon. You CANNOT do that and participate in DCI Open Class (unless you just want to do a show or two). You CANNOT do it. I'll say it one more time. CANNOT.

Yes you can. There are DCI Open Class corps that do it all the time. VK, Music City, SCVC (on years they don't go to finals), Colt Cadets...the list can go on and on...depending on the year...and the corps. But there are DCIOC corps that do weekends only (or close to it). Yes, it does happen. Rare? Perhaps. But you CAN do it.

And you said it yourself. "Unless you only want to do a show or two". Exactly.

However, as I mentioned in my last post - I'm starting to get the picture at least with regards to one reasoning. The cost to participate in DCIOC. THAT makes a lot of sense.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

As for the keyboard discussion? It can apply to either. But let me give you an example. Let's say C1 writes for one keyboard player that requires both synth pads AND a pretty difficult piano solo and you have 2 kids trying out for that one spot. One kid gets it, the other goes home - instead of having the opportunity to play that same role in C2.

THEN (to take it a step further) that kid goes to another DCI corps (hopefully) and the next year when the C1 keyboard player ages out (hypothetically), that kid that got cut has no interest in trying out for the Cadets again.

To me, it just makes more sense all around to have C2 compete in DCI Open Class for all of the above reasons I mentioned. But oh well, not my call. Interesting subject for discussion though.

Do you really think they are going to tell the kid "sorry there are no synths at cadets2"? Really dude? No, a good instructor would provide him with whatever he needs to get to a Cadet 2 camp and explain that "hey i know you wanted this spot here, but *insert the youre cut speech here* however at Cadets 2 they dont have synthesizers but I know "so and so" and they cant definitely help you with synth stuff outside of rehearsal during your summer at Cadets 2."

Organizations dont just toss kids to the side.. they provide every opportunity possible to them that they can to keep them interested. If the kid doesnt want those opportunities provided that is up to the kid.