Cadets2 question...

By limiting the age of the members, they're also likely limiting the years of experience their members have. There are trade-offs to every decision.

As far as point C) There may be some kids who don't make Cadets and then try for Cadet2, but I don't think it will be as many as you think. The majority of the Cadets don't live locally....which members of Cadets2 will need to do (at least within reason). Also, most kids trying out for the Cadets want a full touring corps experience (which is why they're trying out for The Cadets), I would guess that they'd more than likely try for another World Class corps....not a weekend only corps.

Yeah, I can see that possibility. It would be interesting to find out specifics on that type of statistic. I suppose we would not be able to find such things out for another couple of months when C1 starts making cuts.

• Like 1

I've been around corps for a couple of years so take what I say, however you want....

Cadets2 is an awesome idea! I think it is super that they are choosing to compete in DCA. I think the big reason for the negativity toward the corps is that it is being formed by, probably, one of the most successful corps directors in drum corps history. Now I am not always a Cadets fan BUT what George Hopkins has done since taking over the corps is phenomnal.

Lets be happy that another corps has been added to DCA, let them rehearse in peace and comment after you've seen them next summer.

I agree with you, Keith. Which is why I concluded several of my posts that I was "just glad the corps exists". I've made it clear that despite my questions and opinions on the circuit choices of the corps, I'm a supporter of this new corps and can't wait to see them on the field.

• Like 1

LOL, I can agree with this post. I'd say 6 of one, half dozen of the other as for DCA or OC.....

Know the DCA side better and have seen a few well run corps make a great impression their first time at DCA. Not even counting the non-North American corps (Kidsgrove, Yokahama) Renegades, Rochester Phoenix and a bunch of French-Canadian corps have come out of nowhere to snag a Finalist spot their first year at DCA. Wonder if any of that history is part of the decision to go DCA.

I wondered the same thing about the whole "history" thing. I guess we will never know all of the reasons for the choice in drum corps circuit unless someone wire tapped the meetings. Any Hop stalkers out there have anything? LOL

• Like 1

I've been around corps for a couple of years so take what I say, however you want....

Cadets2 is an awesome idea! I think it is super that they are choosing to compete in DCA. I think the big reason for the negativity toward the corps is that it is being formed by, probably, one of the most successful corps directors in drum corps history. Now I am not always a Cadets fan BUT what George Hopkins has done since taking over the corps is phenomnal.

Lets be happy that another corps has been added to DCA, let them rehearse in peace and comment after you've seen them next summer.

That and t has a lot of corps that are scared of the completion.

I'm not going to bet anyone, but here are my reasons why I predict this.

B) Add to that an age cap and you have a yet another advantage.

I do not understand the reasoning that limiting your potential member pool to such a narrow age range is an advantage. To say that it is an advantage is to say that it is not possible for a 26+ year old to out play or out march a 25- year old.

I don't believe their intent on the age cap is to make their corps youthful for the pupose of being able to handle difficult visual requirements. If it is their intent, that would be silly. IMO, it would be much smarter to allow all ages to audition and through the auditioning process...narrow down the applicants to those that they feel will be able to handle what they plan to do on the field, regardless of their age. If that ends up being 25 year olds and younger....so be it.

For whatever reason, they chose to restrict the age of the members (which they are perfectly free to do). I believe that gives them a disadvantage as they are selecting from a smaller pool of candidates that the other corps they are competing against.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that as a 41 year old, I'm pretty sure I could be a very capable member of that corps. However, they don't even want to see me. That's their choice. I'll march elsewhere. Life goes on.

• Like 1

I do not understand the reasoning that limiting your potential member pool to such a narrow age range is an advantage. To say that it is an advantage is to say that it is not possible for a 26+ year old to out play or out march a 25- year old.

I don't believe their intent on the age cap is to make their corps youthful for the pupose of being able to handle difficult visual requirements. If it is their intent, that would be silly. IMO, it would be much smarter to allow all ages to audition and through the auditioning process...narrow down the applicants to those that they feel will be able to handle what they plan to do on the field, regardless of their age. If that ends up being 25 year olds and younger....so be it.

For whatever reason, they chose to restrict the age of the members (which they are perfectly free to do). I believe that gives them a disadvantage as they are selecting from a smaller pool of candidates that the other corps they are competing against.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that as a 41 year old, I'm pretty sure I could be a very capable member of that corps. However, they don't even want to see me. That's their choice. I'll march elsewhere. Life goes on.

I hate to break it to ya. But there are very few over 35 who could physically handle the kind of show design that a Cadets drum corps (C1 OR C2) is going to put out there with the kind of physical strength and endurance of.an 18-24 year old. Are there exceptions? Of course, but let's not kid ourselves here. These bodies AGE and become less flexible and tolorant of physical stress the older we get.

• Like 1

I hate to break it to ya. But there are very few over 35 who could physically handle the kind of show design that a Cadets drum corps (C1 OR C2) is going to put out there with the kind of physical strength and endurance of.an 18-24 year old. Are there exceptions? Of course, but let's not kid ourselves here. These bodies AGE and become less flexible and tolorant of physical stress the older we get.

Exactly! It is these exceptions that they will never have the opportunity to recruit. Oh well. Plus the whole range of 26-34 which you left out. You've helped to solidify my point. Thank you.

I'm not saying they are doing a bad thing by restricting the age (they obviously have a reason for doing so). I just think that to call that an advantage is foolish.

Edited by KCWolfPck

Unfortunately he probably is serious. Obviously he doesn't know what it takes to have great keyboard skills - nor has he ever witnessed a great piano player or taken piano lessons for any length of time. Sad, but consider the source.

you are incorrect in all of your assertions,...........

I'm not going to bet anyone, but here are my reasons why I predict this.

A) They are intercepting staff from Buccs. We all know how relentless they have been (until this past season).

ALL DCA Staff is relenteless, and every champion has always been knocked off the top by another staff at one time or another.

B) Add to that an age cap and you have a yet another advantage.

The average age of most DCA corps has lowered over the past few years, and keep in mind that some of these younger people have now marched a few seasons together, which is an advantage.

C) They are part of the Cadets organization and will intercept a large majority of kids who did not make the Cadets. Anyone remember the Crossmen (when they were last making finals and part of YEA)?

Those kids that tried out and didn't make it came from all over the country with the premise they would be with Cadets all summer, now they will have an abridged schedule, do you think a kid from California is going to fly out each weekend to march weekends only with Cadets2? While you think they will have a larger pool to draw from, it's actually smaller. You'll only get locals that didn't make it, and while I don't know the demographics I'm thinking very few locals actually try out for Cadets.

Put those three things together, and I don't know how anyone can conclude otherwise. This corps is going to be a powerhouse. Therefore, they need to be fair to both DCA AND themselves and compete where their real competition is and where corps have members THEIR SAME AGE.

That is how I conclude otherwise. I am sure they will be very good, but I'm not putting any horse before a cart.............

• Like 1