Cadets2 question...

I just looked at MCDC's tour schedule. They have SIX shows scheduled. SIX! From what I can tell, it's mostly weekend stuff. In fact, if you count every Saturday and every Sunday in a given month, that doesn't even count for a full month's worth of weekend dates. I think that's a GREAT Open Class Schedule. Why couldn't C2 do an OC schedule like that? Kids could still have their jobs and their lives and the corps would be with in competition with it's closer relatives (BDB and SCVC).

As for the "other variables", I'm starting to buy that argument. I'm just not buying the "scheduling" argument. From what I see, it can be the same (or close to) that of DCA. In FACT, in some ways, DCA is harder for the young kid in school. DCIOC is done before school starts. DCA isn't and usually requires kids having to take days off of school the week of DCA championships.

if you don't tour as an East Coast OC corps, where will you perform?

maybe a DCA show. with luck a DCI show if one is in the area. Go look at the DCI schedule...let me know how many DCI shows, WC or OC are around on weekends here.

I'll wait.

Right.

I almost would. I'm predicting a gap of no less than 4 points between Cadets2 and whoever is in 2nd place. I'm that confident that they will be that much better than everyone else.

I'm your huckleberry

I've already agreed with several people about the money thing. I get it, got it, agree with it. Not arguing that one at all. Still discussing the scheduling debate - which I have not bought opposing arguments to (yet). Let's stick to debating me on what I have not agreed with yet.

The money debate makes your scheduling argument baseless.. to choose to join dci because of scheduling would be dumb when there are a million and one reasons why not to... including scheduling. Their location, once again, is the prime location to run a dca corps and schedule a weekend only ensemble as the resources are in their region. DCA provides a better opportunity in the northeast than DCI.

I could also go back to the leadership and everything as to why they are DCA not DCI.. there are a ton of other goals they are trying to accomplish here imo and DCA is the best fit for those goals.

Edited by MrStellar

if you don't tour as an East Coast OC corps, where will you perform?

maybe a DCA show. with luck a DCI show if one is in the area. Go look at the DCI schedule...let me know how many DCI shows, WC or OC are around on weekends here.

I'll wait.

Right.

But hang on here? How many DCI shows on the east coast would you NEED if we are talking about a corps that wants to be weekend only? Eh? Eeh??? Huh??? :)

• Like 1

I'm your huckleberry

I'm not going to bet anyone, but here are my reasons why I predict this.

A) They are intercepting staff from Buccs. We all know how relentless they have been (until this past season).

B) Add to that an age cap and you have a yet another advantage.

C) They are part of the Cadets organization and will intercept a large majority of kids who did not make the Cadets. Anyone remember the Crossmen (when they were last making finals and part of YEA)?

Put those three things together, and I don't know how anyone can conclude otherwise. This corps is going to be a powerhouse. Therefore, they need to be fair to both DCA AND themselves and compete where their real competition is and where corps have members THEIR SAME AGE.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

A) They are intercepting staff from Buccs. We all know how relentless they have been (until this past season).

C) They are part of the Cadets organization and will intercept a large majority of kids who did not make the Cadets. Anyone remember the Crossmen (when they were last making finals and part of YEA)?

Put those three things together, and I don't know how anyone can conclude otherwise. This corps is going to be a powerhouse. Therefore, they need to be fair to both DCA AND themselves and compete where their real competition is and where corps have members THEIR SAME AGE.

Then I guess DCA rules arent fair. They allow the corps to set age limits.

Once again you take the meaning of this new organization and you turn it into OH THEY JUST WANT TO WIN!

And crying wolf that its not fair.. it's completely fair. The rules are the rules.. they haven't broken any of them. Why do you insist that they are doing the wrong thing? Why? So what if they win because their kids are younger and they may have recent Cadet age outs leading the corps.. why does that even matter? why? if they are good then its better for the activity can you think of it that way?

Edited by MrStellar

But hang on here? How many DCI shows on the east coast would you NEED if we are talking about a corps that wants to be weekend only? Eh? Eeh??? Huh??? :)

Not sure there's a specific number here.

Obviously when looking at the entire venture, DCA made more sense to YEA; likely for many of reasons that have been mentioned here. You want to parse out specific issues, but I doubt that's how the decision was made. It was more likely made by looking at the venture in it's entirety.

By limiting the age of the members, they're also likely limiting the years of experience their members have. There are trade-offs to every decision.

As far as point C) There may be some kids who don't make Cadets and then try for Cadet2, but I don't think it will be as many as you think. The majority of the Cadets don't live locally....which members of Cadets2 will need to do (at least within reason). Also, most kids trying out for the Cadets want a full touring corps experience (which is why they're trying out for The Cadets), I would guess that they'd more than likely try for another World Class corps....not a weekend only corps.

given that at best a summer season is 8 weeks long for DCI, you'd need 8 weekends worth of shows. I'm pretty sure right now at best DCI has 3, maybe 4 weekends with shows in the East Coast, and I can pretty much figure many of them require longer drives to get to than DCA shows would.