Cadets2 question...

Yes you can. There are DCI Open Class corps that do it all the time. VK, Music City, SCVC (on years they don't go to finals), Colt Cadets...the list can go on and on...depending on the year...and the corps.

None of those are eastern corps.

Mike

Do you really think they are going to tell the kid "sorry there are no synths at cadets2"? Really dude? No, a good instructor would provide him with whatever he needs to get to a Cadet 2 camp and explain that "hey i know you wanted this spot here, but *insert the youre cut speech here* however at Cadets 2 they dont have synthesizers but I know "so and so" and they cant definitely help you with synth stuff outside of rehearsal during your summer at Cadets 2."

Organizations dont just toss kids to the side.. they provide every opportunity possible to them that they can to keep them interested. If the kid doesnt want those opportunities provided that is up to the kid.

MmmMMMMM??? Ok. I'll buy that too. I'm listening people. I really am. My scale is just not fully tipped yet on this issue - but I'm getting there...

Again, I'm just excited that the corps exists. Such a great opportunity!

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

And yet again...you can have ALL of those same benefits as a DCI Open Class Corps. Nothing presented here is any different than that of MOST DCI Open Class corps and their schedules.

Listen! Competing in DCI Open Class require NO MORE OS A TIME commitment than DCA. That is a FACT!

actually if you look at my post, as well as MOST of Open Class schedules, you'll see a) you're wrong and b) there's a ton of other variables

• Like 2

actually if you look at my post, as well as MOST of Open Class schedules, you'll see a) you're wrong and b) there's a ton of other variables

I just looked at MCDC's tour schedule. They have SIX shows scheduled. SIX! From what I can tell, it's mostly weekend stuff. In fact, if you count every Saturday and every Sunday in a given month, that doesn't even count for a full month's worth of weekend dates. I think that's a GREAT Open Class Schedule. Why couldn't C2 do an OC schedule like that? Kids could still have their jobs and their lives and the corps would be with in competition with it's closer relatives (BDB and SCVC).

As for the "other variables", I'm starting to buy that argument. I'm just not buying the "scheduling" argument. From what I see, it can be the same (or close to) that of DCA. In FACT, in some ways, DCA is harder for the young kid in school. DCIOC is done before school starts. DCA isn't and usually requires kids having to take days off of school the week of DCA championships.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

I just looked at MCDC's tour schedule. They have SIX shows scheduled. SIX! From what I can tell, it's mostly weekend stuff.

Do you remember the money part of this conversation?? How much more expensive it is to be a dci corps vs dca. Music City is ONE drum corps... YEA! is now going to run TWO drum corps. Once again, cost effectiveness.

And Music City is no where near the Northeast.. DCA is huge in the northeast, period.. why not use the circuit that is provided in the region? Championships are only 3 hours from Allentown, Reading is right up the road.

I sound like a broken record... YEA! clearly wants this to work well so why would they risk the chance of it failing due to money? Then the forums would blow up with the "hopkins failed" and "hopkins let the kids down" topics?

COST EFFECTIVENESS!!

Yes you can. There are DCI Open Class corps that do it all the time. VK, Music City, SCVC (on years they don't go to finals), Colt Cadets...the list can go on and on...depending on the year...and the corps. But there are DCIOC corps that do weekends only (or close to it). Yes, it does happen. Rare? Perhaps. But you CAN do it.

The years the west coast corps don't go to finals their season ends in July. I'll say it again. JULY. Why? Because there are no more shows, other than the shows sponsored by...wait for it...the DCA corps!

On the east coast you can attend a show in a manner DCI Open Class corps can. Rehearse Friday night, drive to the show in the morning and rehearse at or near the show site. Drive home and rehearse Sunday before leaving for the weekend. Cadets2 want to avoid travel beyond a couple of hours. DCA is a great way to do that, plus have a full season of shows.

Cadets2 were formed with DCA in mind.

Listen, I don't dislike DCA. I buy a fricken ticket to finals EVERY year and enjoy every minute of it. I'm just making conversation here. Debates get heated. No big deal. At the end of the day, we all are a part of and love the same activity called "drum corps". Don't make me a bad guy for expressing my opinions on a forum designed for doing just that.

Finally, I should make this statement before I'm accused of any other "anti- this or that". I'm just glad the Cadets2 corps exists! I think it's awesome. I just think Open Class DCI is a better fit. Just my opinion. That's all.

If you want me to take it a step further and prove that I'm not "anti-DCA". Another reason I feel this way is because I think C2 has a greater advantage that could be borderline unfair to other DCA corps. DCA is for "all age corps". C2 has an age cap. They are going to get younger kids who are in better shape than the average corps in DCA and quite frankly...will SLAUGHTER everyone on the DCA field this year with their younger and more physically fit talent. Mark my word on that!

care to wager?

• Like 1

Do you remember the money part of this conversation?? How much more expensive it is to be a dci corps vs dca. Music City is ONE drum corps... YEA! is now going to run TWO drum corps. Once again, cost effectiveness.

And Music City is no where near the Northeast.. DCA is huge in the northeast, period.. why not use the circuit that is provided in the region? Championships are only 3 hours from Allentown, Reading is right up the road.

I sound like a broken record... YEA! clearly wants this to work well so why would they risk the chance of it failing due to money? Then the forums would blow up with the "hopkins failed" and "hopkins let the kids down" topics?

COST EFFECTIVENESS!!

I've already agreed with several people about the money thing. I get it, got it, agree with it. Not arguing that one at all. Still discussing the scheduling debate - which I have not bought opposing arguments to (yet). Let's stick to debating me on what I have not agreed with yet.

• Like 1