Restructuring Classes

DCI should be structured by financial/logistical ability first and competitive outcome second. If DCI were structured based on infrastructure alone, the Top 12 would look vastly different.

Absolutely. This is the absolute truth, and if we did rank the top 12 corps by administration, infrastructure, and financial viability it would absolutely shock people how different it would look.

• Like 3

In another thread there a point came up that seemed like it might be interesting to discuss as a standalone topic... the idea of restructuring classes in order to have greater competitive parity within each class, and the ability for more corps to succeed at the top level of their tier.

I honestly don't think that your restructuring here is really going to make all that much difference in terms of competitive parity within these classes/groupings BETTER THAN the current structure already. I am not going to even address the financial implications to many of these corps here...that could be an entire discussion in and of itself. What purpose would restructuring truly serve? I already enjoy the battles from top to bottom from 1st through 21st regardless of the corps competitive standing on the score board. Extra recognition to more corps perhaps? I'm not really buying into that idea and can't imagine what the purpose of that change would actually do to further the activity of drum corps anyway...Besides what happens if there is a breakout corps during a certain competitive season and other anomalies?

• Like 2

I don't understand the purpose of the idea in the OP. Is it so more corps can "win" each year in their grouping?

I don't think it creates more interest at all. The people who only pay attention at the top will still only pay attention at the top.

The Greedy7 already tried to banish the other corps and create their own group. I don't really see how this is any different.

• Like 3

The problem that we all face (and always have) is that we're engaged in an activity that the average person knows nothing about. Some call us "bands" and others call us crazy. The former being the abolute insult and the latter being abolutely true.

• Like 2

Continually re-dividing, realigning, restructuring does little to solve an important problem: critical mass.

You need a certain critical mass of corps at a somewhat comparable level of competition who are geographically compatible in order to structure any kind of reasonable tour. Touring expenses are already huge and rising. What if your corps is now placed into some new division that causes you to significantly increase your miles traveled just to find other corps in your new division so you can compete?

• Like 1

So instead of the same corps medaling every year, the same corps would medal every OTHER year.

Well like I said probably not a good idea, just something that has run through my head a few times. I don't know why people don't pay attention to the whole post sometimes.

Edited by MetalTones2012

Each corps gets its own class. Every corps then is a winner. No one goes home without a gold medal. Self-esteem rises to new and glorious mountaintops of whatever self-esteem rises to. Every marcher receives a patch that declares, "Congratulations, you ARE a winner." Brandt Crocker's voice will go hoarse from continually saying, "In first place, with a score of..." The most esoteric corps shows will be understood by all. The OP receives the Nobel Peace Prize. The United Nations declares the final day of the DCI season to be "International Kum-Ba-Yah Day." Rebecca Black will record "Saturday" and everyone in Lucas Oil Stadium that night will sing, "It's Saturday, it's Saturday, it's Kum-Ba-Yah Saturday." Lions shall lie down with lambs. The meek shall inherit the earth. There will be peace on earth. An archeologist will discover a centuries-lost Mayan calendar that reveals the end of 2012 is the beginning of centuries of universal brotherhood. Everyone who wants a new car will find one sitting in their driveway. Those without driveways will have driveways provided. I'll be able to eat tofu without passing gas.

You either get on board the Glory Train or it runs you over at the station.

"And two chickens in every garage!" ($.25 to The Tubes, wasn't worth a buck) :tongue:

I've actually put a little thought into this and structured it a little differently. Basically it would be the same as the old Div I/II/III set-up, but slightly different in how corps are classified.

DCI would be split into perfect thirds to make up the classes. The top 3 corps in II and III would move up a class the next year, and the bottom three in I and II would move down a class. That way the classifications are about competitiveness, not money and other stuff. As an added side effect, it would prevent the same corps from consistently medaling in II and III so those groups get more competitive and interesting.

That's just what I thought of though, probably not a good idea and definitely not gonna happen. Other than BDB and SCVC dominating every year and never thinking about moving up, I don't see a problem with the way things are now.

how do you figure out the pay? right now, WC gets $$, and OC often doesn't.

DCI should be structured by financial/logistical ability first and competitive outcome second. If DCI were structured based on infrastructure alone, the Top 12 would look vastly different.

Any thoughts on how it might shake out? Not taking issue with your point, just wondering who you see as the strong business models.

Fred O.