My earlier answers were based upon those venues that still exist. However that is not the only path this thread has followed.

If you're talking "best stadium" as far as atmosphere or ambience, Roosevelt Stadium, site of The Dream, The Preview of Champions, The 1966 VFW Nationals and The 1963 World Open, and the 1972 DCA Championship wins, hands down, no comparison. But, as others have said, the field was usually pretty awful. Often, the field was more dirt than grass, dusty from baking in the hot summer sun (though a few years saw it as a 'mud bowl!'), and the grandstand had generally less-than-desirable customer 'creature comforts' (some would call it a dump!).

Still, the number one fond memory of stadiums in which I marched and competed. The atmosphere was electric, whether we came in first or last. If you were never there as either spectator or competitor, you have no idea how special those Dream Contest afternoons were! :thumbup:

You're right, John. One could pretty much write a history of drum corps by using just Roosevelt Stadium and Manning bowl as the backdrop. As a competitor and spectator at both, for me these two would stand out as the "Valhallas" of the activity.

You're right, John. One could pretty much write a history of drum corps by using just Roosevelt Stadium and Manning bowl as the backdrop. As a competitor and spectator at both, for me these two would stand out as the "Valhallas" of the activity.

I'd put Kennedy Stadium in Bridgport in that category also ... hosted the 65 WO ... 66 & 67 DCA ... 71 Senior WO ... and a ton of memorable Barnum Festivals from 65 to present ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

I had refrained from replying as I have little experience in DCA stadia before 2004. As for a non DCA site, the best grass field ever is/was Spartan Stadium (San Jose State).

Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ was NOT just a "DCA" Stadium. The "Dream," had 5 of the TOP Junior Corps in North America, AND 5 of the Top Senior Corps in North America, , The "Preview of Champions", same as "Dream", The "World Open"(at that time) had Prelims for Both Jr and Sr. The VFW ('66) was Junior only. One of the larest ever held (48 Corps in Prelims).

I'd put Kennedy Stadium in Bridgport in that category also ... hosted the 65 WO ... 66 & 67 DCA ... 71 Senior WO ... and a ton of memorable Barnum Festivals from 65 to present ...

I have both Competed in, and been a Fan at "Kennedy Stadium". Great Place, Great Shows, Great Crowds and all. Yes. But there was nothing like "The Roosevelt Stadium" Experience. It most likly will never happen again.

Though small in size for attendance (maybe 5,000) and parking is a problem I have to say that Erie Veteran's Stadium may be be one of the best as far as accoustics and field to crowd relationship. Just sayin.......

I have both Competed in, and been a Fan at "Kennedy Stadium". Great Place, Great Shows, Great Crowds and all. Yes. But there was nothing like "The Roosevelt Stadium" Experience. It most likly will never happen again.

For some reason, the grass at Roosevelt was thick for the 1969 Dream ...

25354_1286100906531_1050416909_30685770_8344081_n.jpg

Edited by Navillus WP

"Bridgeport, Bridgeport"....

Bridgeport CT's Harding High Schools "Hedges Stadium" also had a very rich drum corps heritage. A great many "Barnum Festival's Parade of Champions" was held here (Among the most memorable was the 1963 Skyliner upset of Hawthorne's Caballeros after almost two years UD), as well as numerous shows hosted by Bridgeports St Raphael's Buccaneers, PAL Cadets, Connecticut Royal Lancers and St Anne's Loyalaires.

The 1964 World Open (The last senior WO Finals) was also held at olde "Hedges Stadium" Almost every major contender, in both the Senior and Junior arenas appeared here at one time or another.

Great memories....

Elphaba

Aquinas was okay, but wouldn't be my first choice (though I did win both my DCA titles there). I think it might be too small if it were still around unless a renovation were to expand it.

I am somewhat partial to JFK Stadium in Bridgeport, site of the '66 and '67 DCA's, and several World Opens in the 1960's. Today, it has been completely renovated and has a gorgeous field. Neighborhood and parking issues work somewhat against it. Same thing for the Scranton Schools Stadium (not the Lackawanna County baseball park). It's a terrific venue since it's been renovated, but parking and surroundings are less than ideal, but not terrible.

Allentown -- Nice stadium, but that climb up to the field level from the street below with a drum is murder, and again, parking has always been a tough situation, but DCI East seems to thrive there.

Just one 'oldtimer's' rambling observations.

john to small??? it would hold 20,000 people. how is that to small? i think for me it was perfect. but that's just me.

another great place was soldier field in chi town.

actually, '66 DCA was in Bridgeport JFK (speaking of great drum corps venues)

'67 was first year at Aquinas and it was a HUGE crowd...

Now those were compromises... to keep peace between Lefty and Cos... Vince Bruni got to become DCA President and have the championship move to Rochester... Think of it... Brigs and Cabs were in DCA for 1966 Bridgeport... Crusaders still held out... then... in one year... 1967... Cru joined DCA, Had their director elected President and got to have the championship moved to their home... now that Vince Bruni guy... how he could maneuver (politically)... I still miss him...

in 1969 we had 20,000 people there . standing room only. biggest crowd ever for finals. it was great.