Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

Something Old ~ Fanfare & Allegro

Something New ~ ?

Something Borrowed ~ Candide or Make Our Garden Grow

Something Blue ~ La Mer

While I'm thinking about La Mer ~

Much love for the bass line . :thumbs-up: I have no idea if any of you guys are here but WOW. I love the whole show but the runs that you guy execute during the opening statement are absolutely beautiful. I LOVE listening to you guys. Well Done! :smile:

They've already played Candide (both The Overture and Make Our Garden Grow). But I'd have no problem with them playing it again!

John Mackey if true would be amazing. So far I haven't been amazed by arrangers work with his pieces though. But he definitely is one of my favorite composers out there. And I remember he did mention on Facebook months ago that he got a drum corps request he was excited about..so maybe this.

Assuming the poster above is correct.

Like I said,

Mars

Jupiter

And john mackey unless they just changed their mind which is possible I guess.

Mackey would certainly fit into the "something blue" category. One of his recent tunes is Hymn to the Blue Hour.

Some have bagged his music, but I think most everything he writes is well-suited for drum corps. As for his original wind ensemble medium, I can't comment on it from a music theory perspective, but it's fun to listen to as an audience member and I'm sure fun to play as a musician.

As for his original wind ensemble medium, I can't comment on it from a music theory perspective.

It's okay. I don't think his compositions are as technically sound as, say, most of Eric Whitacre's stuff... but they aren't bad. Unsurprisingly, I don't think he's as good as most of his fans prop him up to be, nor do I think he's as bad as his detractors make him out to be.

I haven't heard "Hymn to the Blue Hour," but listening to "Kingfishers", "Turbine", and a few other of his works I can't possibly see how they could be successfully blended with The Planets. Then again, there's a reason J.D. Shaw is a genius drum corps arranger and I'm not. In Shaw We Trust. :music:

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 1

Acting on a tip from an informant :tongue: I headed over to Vanguard's page and checked out their photo gallery from their recent camp at Independence HS in San Jose.

One of the pictures is captioned "George explains Grover's Corner to the audience..."

SCV 1985 - Grover's Corner (From "Our Town") by Aaron Copland

Looks like this piece might be making a return in 2012.

Acting on a tip from an informant :tongue: I headed over to Vanguard's page and checked out their photo gallery from their recent camp at Independence HS in San Jose.

One of the pictures is captioned "George explains Grover's Corner to the audience..."

SCV 1985 - Grover's Corner (From "Our Town") by Aaron Copland

Looks like this piece might be making a return in 2012.

Encore.

According to SCV's facebook page, "Something Blue" is indeed Mackey's "Hymn to a Blue Hour".