Your 2011 "Most" Awards

Just a random interjection here... Star 92 is probably the most underrated drum corps of all time. That hornline was unreal, and the things they were doing visually were actually more revolutionary than 93, as 93 just built on this.

People are often dismissive of this show, simply because of the flash, but they were killing it until quarters... but the judges just didn't get the movement... and dumped them in visual.

They were running their ##### off almost the whole show, had killer feet and doing all this crazy innovative stuff... while we stood on dice, wandered around a bit, and just sort of stolled through the last tune.... and we beat them in visual by 4 tenths???

Go back and watch Star 92... look at the recaps again... you'll see how little sense it makes. I'd say 92 is why Star left drum corps... not 93.

Whoops, my bad. I meant the '93 show was the one with all the body movement I didn't care for, the Medea show that lost by a tenth of a point.

I loved '92 Star, the Star Spangled American Variations year and I agree with every accolade you threw at them. Frankly, I thought that show should have won that year. I took my young kids to see them at Columbus that year, and I was so blown away, I called off work the next day and took the kids up up to Erie PA to watch them again. They were phenomenal.

If any of you young'ins want to compare the modern Crown to an old school corps, this particular Star of Indiana show in 1993 had "the sound" and "the power" that Crown virtually owns today. That 1992 Star stacks right up there with any power corps of any era.

Edited by wvu80

Whoops, my bad. I meant the '93 show was the one with all the body movement I didn't care for, the Medea show that lost by a tenth of a point.

I loved '92 Star, the Star Spangled American Variations year and I agree with every accolade you threw at them. Frankly, I thought that show should have won that year. I took my young kids to see them at Columbus that year, and I was so blown away, I called off work the next day and took the kids up up to Erie PA to watch them again. They were phenomenal.

If any of you young'ins want to compare the modern Crown to an old school corps, this particular Star of Indiana show in 1993 had "the sound" and "the power" that Crown virtually owns today. That 1992 Star stacks right up there with any power corps of any era.

Star 92 had loads of choreography in it, probably as much as 93, just a lot of it was behind scrims or not as exposed, so not as obvious.

While the 93 book was intense.... seems like 92 was a better line.

• Like 1

The most like they were in the 80s and 90s: Blue Devils

The most powerful crowd reaction: Madison Scouts

The most improved: Spirit Of Atlanta

The most strange and slightly offensive show concept: Santa Clara Vanguard

The most anticlimactic follow up to their 2010 season: Bluecoats

• Like 4

Most Innovative- The Cadets

Most Entertaining- Carolina Crown

however...

Most "cheese"- Carolina Crown

a little over the top with the "Rach Star" for my tastes. I got it, you are rock stars, now march and play!

Most improved- Blue Knights or Spirit

Most disappointing- SCV and Blue Stars

Most traditional- Phantom Regiment

Most overhyped- Bluecoats

Most Enternaining year of DCI- 2011

• Like 2

Most anticipated tank - Regiments percussion section. Didn't happen! Not as good as '10, but certainly not worthy of the "tank" label. I do say parts were over written, especially for the snare line.

• Like 3

most intimidating preshow: bk

most agressive: cavies

most emotional: phantom

most emotional: madison

most clean: bd

most weird music: SCV

most time spent lying down: boston

most run thrus per day: crown

most time spent not sleeping: cadets

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Most Shocking moment of my summer- How warm friendly and receptive the Blue Devils fans were in California! ( I still had the 2007 BOOOFEST in my mind! I was ready to punch first! Ask questions later! But, California fans were GREAT! ) only 1 or 2 idots.

Most Unnecessary Use Of Movement- Bluecoats in Creep. When a song is that beautiful and Powerful! Let it speak for itself! Very little if any movement needed!

Most Disappointing Attendance at A Show- Seattle Washington 7/02/2011 about 100 people in the stands.

Most Fun Show To Watch- Crown! Those kids looked like they had a lot of fun!

Most Entertaining PreShow- Cadets Demons/ Boston Intro Song onto the field.

Most Disappointing Show- Blue Stars. It didn't gel until August.

Most Surprising Corps- Oregon Crusaders, Academy, Spirit

Most cute little funny catchy thing- The Blue Devil Color Guard Cat Paw movement sequence in Wives and Lovers. I smile and giggle every time I see it!

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1

Most Beautiful Ballad - Crossmen (still humming hallelujah as I type this)

Most Intense Visual Package - *TIE* Cavies & Cadets

Most friendly - Jersey Surf

Most Impressive Corps Director - Chris Komnick

Most Surprising - Boston Crusaders (Wasn't sure how they would do this, like themselves in '88 or Cadets in '89)

Most underwhelming - *4-WAY-TIE* Crown, Bluecoats, SCV, & Phantom

Most Surprising Open Class Corps - 7th Regiment

Most Looking Forward to Seeing in 2012 - Jersey Surf

Corps causing most argument with student - *TIE* EVERY CORPS IN EXISTENCE (He hates all drum corps b/c he claims that they aren't musical.)

• Like 1