Madison Scouts 2012

Just watched this show for the first time on FN. Wow. Really really great stuff!

• Like 1

Wow...Scouts thread dropped all the way to fifth page. I got to see the guys for the first time live this year in Atlanta and I very much enjoyed the show even though there were some rough patches...no doubt to new changes. The ending had my mom nearly in tears and had goose bumps running up my arms.

Now that that's out of the way, I DO need to rant on something.

For as long as I've ever followed the Scouts (before and after I marched with them)the corps as a whole has held a certain persona of masculinity, toughness....sometimes even downright scary. That tough, hard-corps, kick-a** look appealed to me. There were a few rough years recently but a big point fans have mentioned the past three years is how the Scouts have returned to "the look" or have "that Scouts presence again"

That said, I absolutely hate seeing the Scouts horns/drums doing all the overblown and unceccesary body movements. I understand a big effect these days are body movements...especially with the legs. Some of that is fine and some of it cool. However, when you're a group that has, for years, prided itself on that big, bad, rough, tough, uber-manly image....it all goes away, at least for me, when you lay on the field, arch your back, kick your legs, roll over and hump the dirt (so it looks like) ... just doesn't seem to fit with what the MEN of Madison have been about for years. Find other ways to get some GE....like, march your a** off. Leave all that laying on the ground-synchronized leg lifts and kicks for other groups.

And I know I sound like a old fart.."You kids and your dirty hoochie dancing"....I'm not. I think that stuff is all good for plenty of other corps out there....just NOT the Scouts. It just doesn't go with that "Superman image" I've always thought of when I see a Madison Scouts performance.

Now I'll sit back and anxiously await all the people calling me an idiotic dinosaur.

• Like 5

<snip> I absolutely hate seeing the Scouts horns/drums doing all the overblown and unceccesary body movements. I understand a big effect these days are body movements...especially with the legs. Some of that is fine and some of it cool. However, when you're a group that has, for years, prided itself on that big, bad, rough, tough, uber-manly image....it all goes away, at least for me, when you lay on the field, arch your back, kick your legs, roll over and hump the dirt (so it looks like) ... just doesn't seem to fit with what the MEN of Madison have been about for years. Find other ways to get some GE....like, march your a** off. Leave all that laying on the ground-synchronized leg lifts and kicks for other groups.

And I know I sound like a old fart.."You kids and your dirty hoochie dancing"....I'm not. I think that stuff is all good for plenty of other corps out there....just NOT the Scouts. It just doesn't go with that "Superman image" I've always thought of when I see a Madison Scouts performance.

I agree with swmstom. I tell ya'. That kind of stuff might work in Madison but it would never go over here at Penn State!

Signed,

Your Friend

Jerry Sandusky

:dancin:

I agree with swmstom. I tell ya'. That kind of stuff might work in Madison but it would never go over here at Penn State!

Signed,

Your Friend

Jerry Sandusky

:dancin:

Zing!