Madison Scouts 2012

What is going on with scoring in Atlanta? How could the Cavaliers and Boston have passed them up with such an increase in scores? SLOTTING.

• Like 1

What is going on with scoring in Atlanta? How could the Cavaliers and Boston have passed them up with such an increase in scores? SLOTTING.

I initially felt the same way but there are a few things to think about. Madison got the bad end of the draw this time around, and both Boston ad the Cavaliers have cleaned up quite a bit. I certainly don't think this will stick.

• Like 2

I was also quite peeved about the score/recaps and in my emotional state, was slamming

a couple of the judges in my mind, but after about an hour, returned to reality,

which is A) performance order really does make it hard for judges to get a good read as to how you

are doing compared to your most recent close competitors. B) In those weaker scoring captions, there is

a possibility of performance tears happening. C) I've been hearing of many changes being put in the

show only a couple days before Hotlanta. Thankfully, they have a pretty good draw for Allentown (first on

AFTER the intermission) and hopefully that will boost them.

• Like 2

The scores reflect the reality of how the judges truly feel ----- before and after a restroom break. Madison will come back strong in the last two weeks.

Wow...Scouts thread dropped all the way to fifth page. I got to see the guys for the first time live this year in Atlanta and I very much enjoyed the show even though there were some rough patches...no doubt to new changes. The ending had my mom nearly in tears and had goose bumps running up my arms.

Now that that's out of the way, I DO need to rant on something.

For as long as I've ever followed the Scouts (before and after I marched with them)the corps as a whole has held a certain persona of masculinity, toughness....sometimes even downright scary. That tough, hard-corps, kick-a** look appealed to me. There were a few rough years recently but a big point fans have mentioned the past three years is how the Scouts have returned to "the look" or have "that Scouts presence again"

That said, I absolutely hate seeing the Scouts horns/drums doing all the overblown and unceccesary body movements. I understand a big effect these days are body movements...especially with the legs. Some of that is fine and some of it cool. However, when you're a group that has, for years, prided itself on that big, bad, rough, tough, uber-manly image....it all goes away, at least for me, when you lay on the field, arch your back, kick your legs, roll over and hump the dirt (so it looks like) ... just doesn't seem to fit with what the MEN of Madison have been about for years. Find other ways to get some GE....like, march your a** off. Leave all that laying on the ground-synchronized leg lifts and kicks for other groups.

And I know I sound like a old fart.."You kids and your dirty hoochie dancing"....I'm not. I think that stuff is all good for plenty of other corps out there....just NOT the Scouts. It just doesn't go with that "Superman image" I've always thought of when I see a Madison Scouts performance.

Now I'll sit back and anxiously await all the people calling me an idiotic dinosaur.

I had the exact same thoughts as I watched the Scouts performance in Atlanta. For God sakes, stop the odd leg movements. It's ok to stand there & play.

Color Guard & visual people have hijacked the Drum & Bugle Corps activity.

The Brass & Percussion body movement has reached a level of ridiculousness.

• Like 2

Glad to see some one agrees with me there FlamMan. All that interpretive dance-looking stuff is just not Scouts. I compare it to one of the top BOA bands out there suddenly trying to pull off a full on HBCU show.....it just looks and feels weird to see it. It's awkward....Same thing if an HBCU like Morehouse suddenly tried to duplicate Star '93.

• Like 1

I was also quite peeved about the score/recaps and in my emotional state, was slamming

a couple of the judges in my mind, but after about an hour, returned to reality,

which is A) performance order really does make it hard for judges to get a good read as to how you

are doing compared to your most recent close competitors. B) In those weaker scoring captions, there is

a possibility of performance tears happening. C) I've been hearing of many changes being put in the

show only a couple days before Hotlanta. Thankfully, they have a pretty good draw for Allentown (first on

AFTER the intermission) and hopefully that will boost them.

You forgot D) Cavies and Boston may just be better at this point.

• Like 1

I had the exact same thoughts as I watched the Scouts performance in Atlanta. For God sakes, stop the odd leg movements. It's ok to stand there & play.

hmnn... it appears that its actually not better "to stand there and play" the instruments... (or march with them). Its actually better to put all the instruments aside and do a closer to end the show filled with lots and lots of( as you said )"odd leg (and arm) movements."

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

You forgot D) Cavies and Boston may just be better at this point.

LOL! You are nothing if not predictable. I was wondering how long it would take you to chime in with one of your little digs.

• Like 1

hmnn... it appears that its actually not better "to stand there and play" the instruments... (or march with them). Its actually better to put all the instruments aside and do a closer to end the show filled with lots and lots of( as you said )"odd leg (and arm) movements."

My wife ( who is not a big drum corps fan ) said , " Thats the biggest cheerleading squad I've ever seen. "

• Like 2