Malaguena

It may be considered blasphemous to say this, but I like Cadets 2003 the best.

I agree...there's alot of excitement in that version...I would also put Muchachos 1974 at a VETY close 2nd....

Sorry folks.

I'm not following where this thread is going.

What minus? I don't see one. Who cares anyway? One is entitled to one's opinion as long as it doesn't harm anyone, but I saw no negatives on this thread. Am I missing something?

Kevin

Relax, Kevin. There were some negative (red) "votes" not negative posts. Those were all taken care of. All is well. :cool:

While the 84/85 Caballeros' Malaguena with back-to-back undefeated seasons is probably the most iconic Malaguena in my mind (and certainly the model for what Madison did in '95, since A Drum Corps Fan Dream was absolutely a Caballeros tribute- you don't turn a pinwheel playing the rumps by accident!) the Caballeros' 1990 arrangement is, I think, one of the most interesting ones you'll come across- there's a development section where the entire soprano line comes in either one by one or two by two in really thrilling counterpoint, building up to the classic hit.

There is ONLY ONE Malaguena in which all other standards are set IMO ... Madison 1988! The first time I had ever heard Malaguena was in 1991 in Scott Stewart's apartment in Madison, they were playing the 1988 video on television. When I heard the beginning of Malaguena and saw the four count turn leading into the first drill set I turned to my friend Scott and said, "now this is drum corps!"

I did not like the Cadets 2003 version and my reasons are personal ... "A Few of My Favoriate Things" is the title of that 2003 show ... come on.

• Like 1

Malaguena Moog!

This album also spawned my love for Carmen (which dozens of corps have also done).