Video of 1971 Blue Devils

Can't remember where exactly that was but I was there. I was in the Cadet Corps at the time. I actually joined up because I saw them in exhibition in 1970 at one of their first performances at a drum and bell competition at Ygnacio Valley High School. Sounds a lot worse then I remember them. Hornline has sure come a long way since then.

Was starting in the corner the standard (or the rule) for Jr corps in 1971? Have seen some 72 DCA vids and starting in the corner was "it" then too. Of course who's rule was being followed? My guess is AL for both groups.

Was starting in the corner the standard (or the rule) for Jr corps in 1971? Have seen some 72 DCA vids and starting in the corner was "it" then too. Of course who's rule was being followed? My guess is AL for both groups.

Jim ... DCA allowed corps to enter the field from the corner in 71 and 72 ... in 73, they allowed corps to enter the field from the back sideline ... I think 77 was the first year corps were allowed to start their show "on the field" with no "entry" per se ...

:-)

You could start, I think, anywhere in the endzone (including the corner)in 71, but at least in the junior world you still had to come in over the endzone line, not over the sideline. In Garfield, we had an elaborate endzone drill that formed a corner wedge, and the drumline ended up closest to the sideline edge of the field. We were told in no uncertain terms to never enter across the sideline, but it was up to the hornline not to 'push' us over too far.

Jim ... DCA allowed corps to enter the field from the corner in 71 and 72 ... in 73, they allowed corps to enter the field from the back sideline ... I think 77 was the first year corps were allowed to start their show "on the field" with no "entry" per se ...

:-)

Thanks Andy, 1974 Westshore stared from the corner with the guard already set up on the field. But we were rebuilding after being off for a year so probably was a recycled drill. Have 1974 Carlisle show DVD and now can see the corps entering from the back sideline.

1976 and 1977 run together for me as we did a lot of RCA shows and not sure if the rules were the same for entering the field. One of those years we ran into a problem at York, PA (RCA) show as there was a snow fence right behind part of the back sideline. Really screwed up the start of the show for some corps and result was judges were told not to do execution for the first 45 or so seconds at the start of the show. Pretty sure it was 76 and horn and drum line was behind the line except for (maybe) a soloist that started the show.

Wasn't that just around the time when Jerry Seawright decided to transform them into a Drum & Bugle Corps?

I remember starting on the goal line...toeing the back part of line so that you didn't cross the line for fear of a penalty.