Did this really happen?

I heard it was worse than that, he wore speedos.

no. too constricting

:ph34r:

Jeff, I just think it is WAY to speculative to insinuate or assume that he put anyone in a "position". No one else was disciplined, and the line didn't suffer missing a bass player for finals. You ASSUME they had to put their morals on hold by covering for him, when I personally think it far more likely a good number of the rest were just thanking their lucky stars they didn't get caught too. When you take what we know, which is that drug use occurs sometimes in drum corps, and what we've heard numerous times, which is that a good number of BD members at times haven't been shy about puffing a little, it just sounds too pretentious to imply that he somehow threw his fellow members under the bus by what was probably just "joining in."

the line didn't suffer

Well, they came in 6th at Finals, so maybe they would've scored higher w/out him and playing & marching what they'd been practicing that day... :ph34r:

* yes, I know they also might've scored better, and I honestly don't know how they'd be scoring up to Finals night (they might've been consistently that "low"): maybe they would've placed even lower with out him. Regardless, having him on the field seemingly didn't give them any sort of competitive advantage in the percussion caption

Edited by perc2100

I went to college with the guy, Western Illinois University.

He's from Chilicothe, Illinois. Hell of a drummer, great guy, stupid decision on many parts.

I think it's wrong what happened, and what he did.

I also have a hard time though with many of the people that blast incidents like this when there are drug problems in pretty much ever corps. If these kids had to take a #### test like professional athletes, how many holes would we have to see on finals night?

While I certainly don't condone the illegal drug use, that's not my issue here, and at the risk of speaking for others here, I don't think it's theirs either.

It's the "I'm above the consequences of my actions" attitude he displayed in marching finals after being booted from the corps.

While I certainly don't condone the illegal drug use, that's not my issue here, and at the risk of speaking for others here, I don't think it's theirs either.

It's the "I'm above the consequences of my actions" attitude he displayed in marching finals after being booted from the corps.

One could also say he was "too loyal to his bass line" to have them suffer from his actions by not marching. Anyone suggesting the late season removal of a member of the bass line doesn't negatively affect the line has never marched bass.

• Like 3

Why wouldn't this have been a better solution all around. You make the kid run a bunch of laps, put him under specific restrictions and supervision for the rest of tour, has to serve in the food line until everyone is fed and eat last, but if he does these things you let him finish marching, and at the end of tour you let him know your plans to have a serious conversation with his parents about what happened and allow them to deal with it. In no stretch of the imagination is that getting off the hook, and no one but him suffers for his actions.

• Like 1

One could also say he was "too loyal to his bass line" to have them suffer from his actions by not marching. Anyone suggesting the late season removal of a member of the bass line doesn't negatively affect the line has never marched bass.

One could say that...

If it was his decision to exile himself and then, upon further reflection, decided it would be a bad idea.

But he was booted from the corps by Gibbs. And I'm pretty sure Gibbs was aware that the late season removal of a member of the bass line would negatively affect the rest of them. But he went ahead with it anyway (and rightly so).

And if he was that loyal to his line, he maybe shouldn't have done something that would risk his removal from the corps....

• Like 2

Jeff, I just think it is WAY to speculative to insinuate or assume that he put anyone in a "position". No one else was disciplined, and the line didn't suffer missing a bass player for finals. You ASSUME they had to put their morals on hold by covering for him, when I personally think it far more likely a good number of the rest were just thanking their lucky stars they didn't get caught too. When you take what we know, which is that drug use occurs sometimes in drum corps, and what we've heard numerous times, which is that a good number of BD members at times haven't been shy about puffing a little, it just sounds too pretentious to imply that he somehow threw his fellow members under the bus by what was probably just "joining in."

he did put people in a position.

he put his fellow members through the drama of having to relearn a show on ffinals day.

he put the staff through the drama of having to deal with the siutation...his family as well.

Sure maybe others are lucky they didnt get caught. But then again, he was dumb enough to a) do it and b) get caught. Sorry, no sympathy for him.

yes I know drug use happens. I saw it play a part in killing my corps. I didnt partake, and I surely didnt #### away corps funds on it. But I also have no sympathy as I watch those that did see their lives unravel into hell.

• Like 1

he was so loyal they had to spend finals day re-learning the show.

thats loyalty

:rolleyes: