Did this really happen?

Why wouldn't this have been a better solution all around. You make the kid run a bunch of laps, put him under specific restrictions and supervision for the rest of tour, has to serve in the food line until everyone is fed and eat last, but if he does these things you let him finish marching, and at the end of tour you let him know your plans to have a serious conversation with his parents about what happened and allow them to deal with it. In no stretch of the imagination is that getting off the hook, and no one but him suffers for his actions.

got it! break the law, run laps!

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

I can't really condemn the guy for what he did. He acted a fool, but I still think it's a pretty cool drum corps story, really. But that's just me.

But it's mind-boggling that some people think he shouldn't have been kicked out of the corps. A drug arrest is not something a corps can just shrug off. Think about what kind of reputation BD and drum corps as a whole would deservedly earn if they did. Housing sites, sponsorships, donations, everything would be put at risk. If it's a choice between guarding the welfare of the corps or indulging a member, then the corps is going to win every time.

When kids get together they do stupid things. Even if it's the Young Mormon's Quilting Society they're going to do stupid things. Corps can't control their kids at all times. They can forbid whatever they want, but there's nothing much that can be done until someone gets caught. And if you're dumb enough or unlucky enough to get caught you deserve everything you have coming. "But everyone was doing it to!!!" is not a valid excuse . . . anyone that thinks it is missed some of the essential lessons drum corps is supposed to teach. Spare me the lame brained whining about morality, double standards, and fairness. It's not the job of your corps to stop you being stupid. It's yours. You get caught . . . TS.

• Like 2

this whole thread is kinda funny 11years later. There can be threads for years going back to the beginning of our activity of stupid things and cover ups from EVERY CORPS. JMO..not saying its right but this for sure is not a one time thing and just from 1 corps. Every corps over the years have had their own issues and hopefully handled it as it should have been.

Edited by GUARDLING

There are many illegal activities taking place during the summer of various offenses that i've seen and heard of. Most don't get caught apparently.

What offense is far enough to take a summer away from a kid.

There are many illegal activities taking place during the summer of various offenses that i've seen and heard of. Most don't get caught apparently.

What offense is far enough to take a summer away from a kid.

Breaking state and federal laws. Putting the name of the organization at risk (a newspaper article stating that Corps X had members busted for smoking weed is not exactly the headline DCI wants in the local paper, were that ever to happen).

Or how about just being an asshat who couldn't wait another couple days to go home and get high? That seems a decent enough reason too.

Funny thing is, if the kid was as sneaky with his weed as he was with getting onto the finals field, nobody would be the wiser.

• Like 3

Breaking state and federal laws. Putting the name of the organization at risk (a newspaper article stating that Corps X had members busted for smoking weed is not exactly the headline DCI wants in the local paper, were that ever to happen).

Great recruiting tool, eh?

Read this and had a flashback when my Sr corps opened the door wide to minors (only way to get back on the field). One big concern was "little Johnny and Suzie" (quote from BoD member) would do something stupid while on corps time (sex and drinking mainly) and parents would sue because of "lack of control" or some reason a smart lawyer could find.

Next line was kind of funny "what the #### would we pay off with... a couple of drum sticks is about all we own outright". But fear was (and still is) a corps is only one lawsuit (valid or not) or stupid ###ed action away from disbanding.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

got it! break the law, run laps!

:rolleyes:

Really? Not letting him march finals is the letter of the law? I suppose if he had been turned over to law enforcement they would have just said, Meh ,no finals for you. The corps isn't above the law either, are they, so are they complicit for covering it up and not reporting this horrific ILLEGAL DRUG USE? Lets not pretend like the legal factor is a factor, because the corps didn't approach it that way, and because they didn't that leaves the door open for a number of approaches to consequence. Get off your freaking high horse.

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 2