Did this really happen?

To me, the most interesting part of this story is that while everywhere else kids are sneaking into places for the purposes of stealing, robbing, raping, looting, killing, etc., this kid snuck onto a football field for the purpose of performing a dci show.

and like those of your examples that get caught, this kid was given a punishment. except they selfishly decided to ignore it.

• Like 1

Really? Not letting him march finals is the letter of the law? I suppose if he had been turned over to law enforcement they would have just said, Meh ,no finals for you. The corps isn't above the law either, are they, so are they complicit for covering it up and not reporting this horrific ILLEGAL DRUG USE? Lets not pretend like the legal factor is a factor, because the corps didn't approach it that way, and because they didn't that leaves the door open for a number of approaches to consequence. Get off your freaking high horse.

the corps obviously either a) had a policy they enforced or b) made a decision to punish the kid in a way that fit the crime.

They didnt hide it...the cops caught him at it! What the #### is there to hide? The kid got busted.

and I'm not on a high horse. Not even on a Shetland pony. Remember, one of the great recruiting lines for DCI is "come learn life's lessons".

Well the kid learned "get busted smoking pot finals week, BD's going to kick you out".

Except he decided to not man up to his punishment. So he learned "hey I can flout the rules again!"

wait til he tries that in the real world.

You could: if you were a naive apologist I guess (yes, I marched drum corps in the drum line and understand how removing a bass drummer at any point, especially Finals week, would be detrimental)

Anyone defending the young man who broke the law and selfishly defied corps administration has never taught morals to young adults.

One could argue that while unfortunate this incident taught the entire corps (especially the bass line/drum line) that one's selfish actions have a dire effect on the entire group. THAT is far more important than scores or placements, and while it would absolutely suck to have to deal with that on Finals day, sometimes life deals you a lemon and you have to quickly learn to make lemon aid.

Plus, as I said in a previous thread, BD's percussion came in 6th place: after the bass line spent the entire day essentially relearning the show, don't you think that by having someone run out at the last second to compete would a) throw everything out of whack as far as emotions/taking away focus and b) screw things up based on what the bass line had been rehearsing all day.

If you were talking about something happening, say, around dinner time, or during the last second of the day, or coming off of the buses and the bass line had zero time to prepare that would be one thing. But the bass line spent an entire day 'relearning' their show to accommodate.

Oh, and the guy allegedly broke the freaking law, so really your entire argument is invalid IMO. If you're saying the good of the bass line supersedes corps policy and corps administration/leadership's decisions then no argument from any logical adult will be able to counter that type of selfish thinking.

well to be honest, with that snare line, even a bass drummer couldnt save them

Really?! Marching laps and serving food = appropriate punishment for allegedly breaking the law?! Really? Maybe we should do this with the entire US penal system. What would you say is an appropriate punishment for murder: go to bed early, line the field every day, and wash the buses? Really?! And you assume that telling his parents means something: I'm sure you know the average age of Blue Devils was 19+, meaning in all likely hood the accused was a legal adult. So your "punishment" is for this young adult to have Gibbs give him a stern talking to, and let his parents ground him when he gets home: really? Maybe mommy and daddy can also slap him on the wrist when he gets home from tour, after he defiantly broke corps policy (and US state & federal law) but still got to do everything he wanted. REALLY?!

this has been "REALL?!" with Seth Meyers

:spitting:

Why wouldn't this have been a better solution all around. You make the kid run a bunch of laps, put him under specific restrictions and supervision for the rest of tour, has to serve in the food line until everyone is fed and eat last, but if he does these things you let him finish marching, and at the end of tour you let him know your plans to have a serious conversation with his parents about what happened and allow them to deal with it. In no stretch of the imagination is that getting off the hook, and no one but him suffers for his actions.

Because that's stupid.

• Like 3

zing: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(it's funny because it's true :ph34r: )

true story. Semis day, wandering around the souvie area preshow. A guy walks up to BD's souvie trailer with a 6 pack of toilet paper. Hands it to the lady in the trailer and asks her to give it to the snareline so they can wipe the #### off their drums after they play

true story. Semis day, wandering around the souvie area preshow. A guy walks up to BD's souvie trailer with a 6 pack of toilet paper. Hands it to the lady in the trailer and asks her to give it to the snareline so they can wipe the #### off their drums after they play

Wow....how very classy of him.... :thumbdown:

Well like it has been said, "You can't fix stupid!"

Because I am sure he could have done it better, or made them cleaner if he had been a tech. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Jeff....that is the kind of redeeming story that defines us as upper primates. :blink:

And while I'm on the subject, how about the courage of the guy walking up to some 58 yr old woman in the souvie trailer and bravely confronting her with his corrective action. Prolly never crossed his mind to hand them to a tech or the line itself directly....ahhhh, the quality of character surrounding the DCI critic.

• Like 1