Should my 14 year-old march

I don't know anything about Jersey Surf and their rehearsal style, but back when I marched, things could get fairly, um... raunchy. Lets just say that the F-bombs were flying! Add to that self imposed push-ups for ticks, rookie talent shows, jokes in the shower, the list goes on and on. It was not a G-rated experience.

All in all, I think corps are more professional in their approach these days, but you should be aware that the above MAY happen. If you're not comfortable with that, you may want to rethink letting your child march until they are older.

That being said, we had our share of young people marching and they did fine. It wasn't like they had NEVER heard that sort of language before!

In my opinion, the number one thing a corps teaches you is not only responsibility for your own actions, but an awareness that you are representing something bigger than yourself. You're representing an organization with a proud history and tradition. And above all else, you don't want to be "that guy." Mostly because of the fear of letting down your brothers and sisters in the corps. It's a very powerful lesson and it automatically leads to a very strong work ethic and sense of responsibility.

In the 27 years since I marched, I have yet to experience the sense of teamwork and comradery in my academic and professional career that I experienced as a member of a drum and bugle corps. Drum corps is an emotionally difficult, physically painful, and mentally exhausting activity. It's not for everyone. But I think when we look back on our collective experiences, we all agree that the benefits FAR outweigh the costs.

I hope that helps. Best of luck!

I think by and large a kid has to lead a VERY sheltered life these days to show up on tour and be shocked by what they seen and hear. Sailor's mouth kind of comes with the territory.

• Like 2

You're right, he won't be 14 forever, and yes, he has to meet the so called elephant. That being said, a parent shouldn't put a child in a situation he/she might not be ready for, especially at 14.If he were 18 or even16, that would be a different story.

Mothers are natuturally protective of their offspring. All mammals have that instinct, but he won't be 14 forever. Sooner or later in life you have to meet the elephant. I'll bet he does just fine.

Edited by Tim K

A few years ago, I made arrangements for the mother of a 14-year-old boy to meet staff and management of Pioneer at a show. (I knew them both from community band.) The boy joined the corps the next year as a 14-year-old and did very well. He's now with another corps, but he's stayed with drum corps and will age out in corps. It's been an incredible experience for him and he's learned to balance his life with drum corps.

If your child is mature, eager to learn and one who will thrive on challenge, they will do well. If they feel they are ready for drum corps, they may be more mature than a couple guys I marched with who were 20 or 21. Take the spouse to a corps weekend and let the whole family meet and talk with management and staff. I've known of spouses who were initially not very excited about the prospect of sending their child away for the summer who, once seeing what drum corps did for other kids (from talking with parents who were there), became the biggest proponents of marching I've seen.

There's no one more committed to an idea than someone who is a convert to the cause. In my years with the activity, I've seen many. They are the best advertising we've got.

Exactly. I remember we had 3 12-13 yr-olds in 83; One aged out of Star, another the Cavaliers, and the last Blue Devils. And we also had members that aged out after 10+ years with the Corps...

I think by and large a kid has to lead a VERY sheltered life these days to show up on tour and be shocked by what they seen and hear. Sailor's mouth kind of comes with the territory.

Brings to mind some of the instructors we had back when I marched. They didn't believe in mediocrity and that included freaking out. Some of them made Patton look like an Eagle Scout. We took it all in stride though.

Although this was many many years ago...

I was on my first bus ride as a Blue Devil... I sat next to a guard member who I had never met but had ummmm... been watching...

We talked and talked and really hit it off on the way to our first evaluation show in 1981. I did the unthinkable... I kissed her...

I was 19

After the bus ride the guard captain came running up to me and pushed me up against the bus and started yelling at me that I had just kissed a 13 year old. I was mortified... And believe me this girl did not look 13... heck she looked over 18! But this stuck with me for the rest of my BD years and I am still embarrassed to this day when she and I talk... So I suggest a nice O/C corps...

Edited by Big Bad Bari

Although this was many many years ago...

I was on my first bus ride as a Blue Devil... I sat next to a guard member who I had never met but had ummmm... been watching...

We talked and talked and really hit it off on the way to our first evaluation show in 1981. I did the unthinkable... I kissed her...

I was 19

After the bus ride the guard captain came running up to me and pushed me up against the bus and started yelling at me that I had just kissed a 13 year old. I was mortified... And believe me this girl did not look 13... heck she looked over 18! But this stuck with me for the rest of my BD years and I am still embarrassed to this day when she and I talk... So I suggest a nice O/C corps...

Man, that has to be hard to deal with, but I'm sure that if you knew the details of the situation at the time you wouldn't have done it.

• Like 1

Man, that has to be hard to deal with, but I'm sure that if you knew the details of the situation at the time you wouldn't have done it.

Oh heck no... And I even have photographic evidence that she looked my age at least... But in an effort to keep things somewhat discreet... I will not post those!

How can you manage high school and corps at the same time ? summer tour would start before school is over wouldnt it ? I would LOVE to start DCI now (15) but with school I just cant until 2015. By then when i start going to audition camps (fall 2015) ill be 19, which means ill only be able to march through summer 2018 because ill turn 22 that fall.

Please answer my question about doing highschool and DCI, and please correct me if im wrong about only being able to march 3 years because of my age, id love to march as many as i can.

sometimes kids can get out early from high school by a couple weeks.

sometimes kids do what they can on fri/sat/sun during spring training, and go back to school mon-thurs.

it also depends a lot on where you live... where I live, the high schools don't get out until June 20th-ish, so that makes it really hard. But if your school gets out late May or early June, then it is easier to miss some school and miss some parts of spring training.