W. Francis McBeth (1933-2012)

I was sad to hear of the passing of a great band composer today. Although he did not directly work with drum corps so many of us that did march corps were lucky enough to perform his music at some point in our lives. I would love to hear a corps perform Kaddish this year. My personal preference would be Santa Clara. Thoughts?

W. Francis McBeth was an incredible composer for bands.

This music educator will honor his legacy.

One of the few band composers back in the 70s whose work actually asked us percussionists to contribute in a meaningful way.

From that standpoint, he was 20 years ahead of his contemporaries. RIP.

Francis never recovered from a stroke he suffered in November of 2010. I found out about the stroke from Jared Spears when I ran into him at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention. Jared updated me at the recent Midwest Clinic. (Jared was a good friend of Francis...They both taught in Arkansas.) Several years ago, I attended a breakfast at the Midwest as a member of the VanderCook College of Music Alumni Board of Directors. The college band was performing pieces by both McBeth and Karel Husa later in the day and both composers were at the breakfast. For reasons I didn't understand, I was assigned to sit between both McBeth and Husa. Both were impressive conversationalists with someone who was a non-entity in the music world. I hadn't thought about that until reading of Francis' passing. He was a real gentleman and he influenced many composers who are presently contributing to the world of educational music.

Very sorry to hear this news. He was an interesting composers and will be missed!

If only a drum corps would play some of his music. Westerville South MB (1991) did a WONDERFUL job with his music when they were annually in BOA finals.

I can only imagine what Phantom, Crown, or SCV could do with this music. Maybe even Academy would fit...

Listen to Of Sailors and Whales and tell me that wouldn't be a great show for some corps! thumbup.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

Kaddish is a fundamental piece that shaped my tastes and understanding of classical music. I was 14 when I first tackled it, and it opened my eyes tremendously. Just a wonderful playing experience for an entire ensemble.

I hope contemporary wind writers pay him the tribute he deserves.