If *show* competed this year....

So, I was curious. Would there be any winning shows from past years that would still get the gold if they competed against the corps from last season or 2012? What do you think?

Maybe, but they need to fit within the current judging criteria. I'd guess that not having synths and being kind of small compared to today would hurt many past champions. Also, I think their guards would be too small too.

It's really about the show design. Unlike many people here, I don't believe that it just keeps getting better. I feel that it keeps changing and is excellent, but it's not better or worse.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Maybe, but they need to fit within the current judging criteria. I'd guess that not having synths and being kind of small compared to today would hurt many past champions. Also, I think their guards would be too small too.

It's really about the show design. Unlike many people here, I don't believe that it just keeps getting better. I feel that it keeps changing and is excellent, but it's not better or worse.

I agree completely. I think there are some shows that would certainly compete, but the criteria and expectations have shifted a lot. For example, just having drill from dot to dot isn't really enough anymore. There are a lot more visual responsibilities involved in modern design. Performers are expected to play a role just as much as hit a dot and play the right notes. The groups you would see competing against modern design would be the groups that were pushing the limits of their own time. A show like Star 93 might do better now than it did 20 years ago. Its always been interesting to me to look back a decade or two and see what groups were doing something that, at the time, was really controversial, and whether what they were doing eventually became the norm.

I almost resurrected a chunk of '74 for this seasons DCP Fantasy League... :tongue:

crimsonlionsxvii.jpg

Maybe I'll use it next season. hehe!

So, I was curious. Would there be any winning shows from past years that would still get the gold if they competed against the corps from last season or 2012? What do you think?

Well, you did not define the time frame of your " past years ", so its hard to respond appropriately to your question it seems to me. That said, its probably an impossible question to answer as the judging criteria and sheets are so different in " past years " than in the year 2011, or 2012. We can assume, for example, that the show designs of " past years " were written under a different judging system altogether. As a result, most of the " past years " shows for example most likely would not have been designed the way that they were at the time, if todays judging sheets are utilized. Additionally, the instrumention used in competition were not the same in 2010 -2011 compared to " past years " either. For example, if todays Corps performance were judged under the scoring sheets of " past years " these Corps of 2010-2011 would be buried on those judging sheets used at the time... on penalties alone for inappropriate instrumentation useage, over the line penalties, narration, and about a dozen or more other infractions that would have been assessed under that scoring system of " past years ". So it really is impossible to compare dissimilar things under dissimilar judging criterias it seems to me. Its really comparing apples to oranges. No can do, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Agree assuming no penalties for overtime, etc. Probably the best chance (IMHO) are SCV 89, Garfield 87, and Star 91.

• Like 1

I agree with many posters that the 'competition' part probably would suffer in some way as they were designed for a specific era in drum corps (and that era has changed several times in my 20+ years of drum corps!).

BUT there are many popular things that drum corps have done over the years, like signature moves (SCV bottle dance, PR wedge kick, SCV cymbals, Madison Fleur-de-lis) always brings a strong response from the crowd. In that respect, the old does compete well with the new.

As for bringing back an exact copy of an older show, keeping the details exactly the same? No, I don't think the championship show of more than 10 years ago would be a champion today.....but the show would sure be loved by its fans!!!!