Saving Drum Corps part I: Defining the problem

Thirty five years ago there was the 3rd of two decades of PBS DCI Broadcasts with up to 14 million viewers because everyone either was in a Corps or knew someone in a Drum Corps. No advertising was needed for their were so many Drum Corps Nuts in virtually every high school that word of mouth only was needed.

Other than the fact I’m confused how there can be a third or two decades, only in 2001 did the Masters Golf Tournament surpass 14,000,000 viewers. The finale of “Lost” only generated 13,600,000 viewers. The finale of “The X-Files” 13,200,000. “The Sopranos” 11,900,000. Heck, “24” only got 8,900,000 for its last broadcast.

Thirty five years ago, there were tens of thousands of drum corps age outs…

Tens of thousands of age-outs? Did you read what you wrote? Let’s take 20,000 as our sample, being that it’s the smallest number of multiples of tens of thousands. If 150 corps of the maximum (back then) 128 members aged out EVERY single member, that wouldn’t surpass 20,000 members. And there were nowhere near 150 corps that had 128 members.

Now DCI has 85% of age outs with music and performance arts masters degrees asking paper or plastic hoping to someday be like “Mr. Shuster” on Glee getting the ten or so music jobs in an entire school district or college. OOH another jab. Trying to be nice.

Above you wrote, “80% are music or performance majors.” Did drum corps pick up some more music or performance majors since you started formulating your diatribe?

Thirty five years ago, on any given summer day, one could find their Drum Corps News and find a really good Drum Corps show within a few hours. Now there are many states that haven’t hosted a Drum Corps since Autumn Leaves (at 3:14)-which didn’t receive a single deduction because there aren’t any for anything.

My brain just hemorrhaged trying to make sense of that last sentence.

Thirty five years ago, a corps could compete in 40 shows against great corps without ever having to be more than a few hours from their hometown, where everyone in the corps lived.

1977 was my age-out year in The Cavaliers. I just went to my 1977 corps yearbook and counted all the shows we were in. The total was 25, and that included prelims contests. That number included shows we travelled to on tour. We also had multiple members from Canada that year, so “everyone” didn’t even live in the United States, much less Park Ridge.

• Like 2

Thirty five years ago, virtually every city or suburb had one to up to 6 really good corps.

According to the Newspaper Association of America (NAA), in 2009 there were 862 morning papers and 525 daily afternoon newspapers, compared with 380 morning papers and 1498 afternoon papers in 1940. 1977 would be close to the center between those two years. Let’s add up the morning papers and the afternoon papers for each year, ignoring that some cities had both. That gives us 1387 papers in 2009 and 1878 in 1940. If the average between those two amounts (1632.5) of cities each had just one corps, since you stated, “virtually every city or suburb had [at least] one corps,” then that would be far more than the number of corps you say existed in 1977. And that doesn’t even include the suburbs that didn’t have their own newspapers.

Maybe George Hopkins will get Drum Corps to perform to all recorded music with brass players doing a brass equivalent of lip sincing.

Have you thought of suggesting that to George?

Thirty five years ago, most everyone knew of Drum Corps. Now Drum Corps has become totally disconnected from the public: no parades, few local performances no youtube allowed, few libraries with The Legacy Collection and about 90% of members don’t even live in the corps publically announced city’s state. And the first question I get when meeting former Caballaro is, “Is DCI and Drum Corps still alive?”

My own parents didn’t know what drum corps was. But then, we lived in the hinterlands of the Chicago suburbs and had only gotten electricity 80 years earlier.

Thirty five years ago, Drum and Bugle Corps was part of the American landscape with a corps in virtually every parade, festival or other event. Now, DC’s have disappeared like are Soap Operas Disappearing.

I went to the LaGrange Pet Parade when I was in high school. There was no drum corps. There was no drum corps in the Steger “Kiddy Parade.” There was no drum corps in the Park Forest 4th of July Parade or the Chicago Heights Christmas Parade. I must have lived in a deprived region.

Thirty five years ago, a High Schooler would see a poster about a drum corps practice in their music room. They might have to take a public bus or their falling apart Gremlin and begin a youth to adult commitment to the corps that taught them self worth.

The Gremlin was introduced in 1970. I’m not so sure more than a small handful of them were still operating on the road by 1977.

Now, members fly around the country auditioning hoping to “just get in a corps” so they can enhance their education and life that 85% of parents are financially supporting. The flight about $400, audition fee about $200. Most apply online to all corps all at one time.

Where do you get your percentage statistics?

As corps went to music majors, the public disconnect made fund raising less successful.

I was one of those music majors back in 1975-1977. I guess I share some of the blame for helping to open the floodgates.

• Like 3

Many corps still fraudulently lists their mission statement as being a youth activity.

Fraudulently?

If Secretary’s of State had the time, they should order drum corps to state their misson statement to be sarcastically like, “A recreational activity for legal age collegiates who want to avoid getting a summer job to pay for college, getting a degree that has virtually no market value.”

Secretaries of State (or Secretaries of the Commonwealth) in US state governments are largely responsible for governmental functions, such as license plates and elections. How would this be part of their duties? I’m not sure many of them would have a really great handle on sarcasm. Your proposed wording is beyond jaundiced.

A donation to a college isn’t tax deductible, why should Drum Corps?

I’ve donated to colleges and have received letters for my tax preparation. Where did you come up with this one?

Drum Corps are Educational Institutions for music majors seeking better employment possibilities-thus more profitable lives. It could be legally argued that their 501 c3 status should be revoked for corps are no longer social service organizations and everyone is directly out for a profit.

Well, I’d pay good money to see you legally argue that. Drum corps are institutions for members seeking fun while having the experience of their lives.

Although Star of Indiana’s bizarrely overly intellectual not comprehendible shows of the 1990’s started the “artistic disconnect from a marketable audience” they at least had the integrity to overtly seek individual profit, not falsely be part of a “Non Profit Organization.”

“Belshazzar’s Feast,” “Roman Images” and “American Variations” were bizarrely overly intellectual and not comprehendible? Really?

Thirty five years ago, a corps could reach DCI Finals on a $80,000 budget entirely by fund raisers. Now, DCI won’t even let a corps compete without a million dollars budget. Their site even uses financial stability as criteria to entry.

Not true about having to have a $1,000,000 budget. Where did you get that? Oh, right…where you got all your other statistics.

Thirty five years ago, George Hopkins was a frustrated director of The Garfield Cadets that couldn’t make finals with traditional values and actual artistic...

George aged out of Crossmen in 1978. He didn’t become director of The Cadets until 1982.

Now George Hopkins influence has totally wiped out what was part of the American Landscape.

But the tigers come at night,

With their voices soft as thunder,

As they tear your hope apart,

And they turn your dream to shame.

• Like 3

Well I was going to call the o.p. out, but it seems you guys have more than handled it. Yikes, what a pounding this guy has taken (and deservedly so, imo)!

Peace,

Fred O.

Ah, come on! :rolleyes:

Preface: This posting is being sent via e-mail to all available Drum Corps Directors and any other type of communication to George Hopkins who is most to blame for ruining Drum Corps. The next posting will deal with how Drum Corps artistically has been destroyed.

In 1977, The Phantom Regiment started the first of 4 years being the best but not being Champions. They were mostly high schoolers and a few college musicians from the Rockford Area that had no school district music programs. I fell in love with Phantom for who they were, not really what they played or marched.

In 2012, The Phantom Regiment will not likely care about avenging their parents’, grandparents, aunts, uncles or siblings 35th anniversary injustice. Nor will more than a few have ever read The Rockford Register Star, for they don’t live there. Instead of avenging injustice, 80% are music or performance majors seeking to add something to their resume to supposedly get a music or performance job- in the second lowest employment placement.

Thirty five years ago, I cried for the first of four times for 128 Rockford High Schoolers who were in a social service organization providing a NEED not fulfilled by local school districts. Now, DC is more of an educational activity engaged by college Performing Arts Majors in colleges with entire music schools and dozens of musical opportunities that could easily use their own resources to have a Illinois University (Rockford) Drum and Bugle Corps turning Elsa all intellectual.

Seriously, give 2008 rules to the 1977 Phantom’s mostly high schoolers and they could easily have done “Spartacus” just as well. Could you modern DCers be able to produce anything with 1977 rules and equipment? Just a passive aggressive epiphany..

Thirty five years ago there was at least 450 historically archived(maybe 700 total) really good drum corps with mostly High Schoolers, playing music one could hear once yet remember until they start their Legacy Collection in 2011. Now there are music majors giving obscure, overly intellectual music theory lessons you can hear 20 times on youtube until DCI gets them taken down and not be able to remember after one brushes their teeth.

Note: There were so many shows(not just DCI Shows) on any given summer day that Drum Corps News despite devoting up to 9 pages could only report and thus archive maybe 40 to 60% of shows and thus corps. Shows the Cabs were in were omitted about 33% of the time. No one could with any validity come up with even an accurate number within a 20 count margin of error.

Thirty five years ago there was the 3rd of two decades of PBS DCI Broadcasts with up to 14 million viewers because everyone either was in a Corps or knew someone in a Drum Corps. No advertising was needed for their were so many Drum Corps Nuts in virtually every high school that word of mouth only was needed.

DCI’s last national broadcast on ESPN2 in Prime Time drew only 835,000 viewers, with considerable advertising in a nation with only 45 active junior Drum Corps.

Thirty five years ago, there were tens of thousands of drum corps age outs but more frequently high school graduates upon leaving who would have become Jets or Sharks rumbling, learning life changing lessons leading to law schools, med schools, LISW etc.

Now DCI has 85% of age outs with music and performance arts masters degrees asking paper or plastic hoping to someday be like “Mr. Shuster” on Glee getting the ten or so music jobs in an entire school district or college. OOH another jab. Trying to be nice.

Thirty five years ago, on any given summer day, one could find their Drum Corps News and find a really good Drum Corps show within a few hours. Now there are many states that haven’t hosted a Drum Corps since Autumn Leaves (at 3:14)-which didn’t receive a single deduction because there aren’t any for anything.

Thirty five years ago, a corps could compete in 40 shows against great corps without ever having to be more than a few hours from their hometown, where everyone in the corps lived. Now, drum corps have to travel days just to get to the next tour stop.

Thirty five years ago, a music or performance arts major wouldn’t have to fly anywhere to get a great music education. If there wasn’t a spot open in North Star, there would probably be one across town in 27 or Boston Crusader. A Stanford Major could choose between BD, SCV, Freelancers, Dons, et al all within the general Bay Area.

Thirty five years ago, there was the American International Open, U.S. Open, Key To The Sea which were outstanding community events filled with activities and revenue stimulation providing days’ long exposure to DC. Now there are DCI tours with corps that probably haven’t marched a parade, or done a local performance, to help provide fund raiser donators Drum Corps to see, since the Z-Pull, not the reverse.

Thirty five years ago, virtually every city or suburb had one to up to 6 really good corps. For example Boston courtesy of Father Gregg and ICR had 27th, NS,BC, Fitchburg Kingsmen and a few others I can’t think of right now. Wyoming was the only state with only one corps. There were city championships. Now, only Ohio and California could have a contested state championship.

Thirty four years ago, Jerry Noonan solos in Ole could be heard far away in the parking lots. Now, if the $45,000 and up amplification equipment doesn’t work, the crowd in the front row won’t be able to hear anything because the drills are so complex that most brass players don’t even play. Ooh. Why should they if a sound engineer can create the perfect sound. Maybe George Hopkins will get Drum Corps to perform to all recorded music with brass players doing a brass equivalent of lip sincing.

Thirty five years ago, most everyone knew of Drum Corps. Now Drum Corps has become totally disconnected from the public: no parades, few local performances no youtube allowed, few libraries with The Legacy Collection and about 90% of members don’t even live in the corps publically announced city’s state. And the first question I get when meeting former Caballaro is, “Is DCI and Drum Corps still alive?”

Thirty five years ago, Drum and Bugle Corps was part of the American landscape with a corps in virtually every parade, festival or other event. Now, DC’s have disappeared like are Soap Operas Disappearing.

Thirty five years ago, a High Schooler would see a poster about a drum corps practice in their music room. They might have to take a public bus or their falling apart Gremlin and begin a youth to adult commitment to the corps that taught them self worth. Now, members fly around the country auditioning hoping to “just get in a corps” so they can enhance their education and life that 85% of parents are financially supporting. The flight about $400, audition fee about $200. Most apply online to all corps all at one time.

As corps went to music majors, the public disconnect made fund raising less successful. A few years ago I was thinking about volunteering at the Bluecoats bingo about 40 minutes down I-77. But I found all sorts of stuff about how very few if any members are under 19, nor live in Canton or even Ohio and audition in Tennessee having a family’s income that can support them paying $3,000 in DC “tuition” to attend really expensive universities that have extensive music programs sacrificing 60 tour days not having a job to help pay for school. Triple ooh. I truly am trying to be nice.

If I and virtually all Americans want to go to a Bingo we are going to give money to needy causes-like AIDS, Homelessness, Pets, Domestic Abuse, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts etc. Thirty years ago, a Police Boys Club Bluecoats or Spirit TV telethon fund raiser would help someone under the age of 18 avoid a life of being a delinquent. Not a music student at Stark Sate or KSU Stark with parents that make $200K or more, I had to deal with in required classes for a Non Profit Administration Degree.

Seriously, let the parents of these members pay for the costs.

Many corps still fraudulently lists their mission statement as being a youth activity. Yet SCV and others expressly state, imply or govern members be at least 18 and not in High School. A youth is someone under 18.

If Secretary’s of State had the time, they should order drum corps to state their misson statement to be sarcastically like, “A recreational activity for legal age collegiates who want to avoid getting a summer job to pay for college, getting a degree that has virtually no market value.” Ooh another biting passive aggressive stab.

A donation to a college isn’t tax deductible, why should Drum Corps ?

Drum Corps are Educational Institutions for music majors seeking better employment possibilities-thus more profitable lives. It could be legally argued that their 501 c3 status should be revoked for corps are no longer social service organizations and everyone is directly out for a profit. Star of Indiana might have had the honest approach and just gone with all corporate sponsorship and not engage in fund raising.

Although Star of Indiana’s bizarrely overly intellectual not comprehendible shows of the 1990’s started the “artistic disconnect from a marketable audience” they at least had the integrity to overtly seek individual profit, not falsely be part of a “Non Profit Organization.”

Thirty five years ago, a corps could reach DCI Finals on a $80,000 budget entirely by fund raisers. Now, DCI won’t even let a corps compete without a million dollars budget. Their site even uses financial stability as criteria to entry.

Thirty five years ago, George Hopkins was a frustrated director of The Garfield Cadets that couldn’t make finals with traditional values and actual artistic rules while The Bridgemen were dqd for marching members over 21 and broke the rules.

Now George Hopkins influence has totally wiped out what was part of the American Landscape.

Steve Bayt

on Facebook.

Well said. TPTB have removed everything that was unique about Drum Corps. Then they wonder where the fans have gone.

• Like 3

LOL Bawker.

This thread reminds me of a quote in The Chronicles of Riddick about waffles and who eats them. LOL

Hmmm.... 35 years ago would be the start of 1977 which was the middle of my first go around in the Sr side. So pardon me if I concentrate over there as I saw this "from the trenches". And 76/77 we did about half DCA and half RCA (lesser Sr corps circuit).

During that time lot of the local Sr corps died off mainly due to costs and loss of membership. Lot of the corps income came from the local show they would host and the prize money, which for non-DCA shows wasn't that great. (Last place at a DCA show paid better than 1st at lot of these shows.) Even non-corps groups (fire depts, churches, etc) would host local shows as a fund raiser. As expenses, mainly that thing about gas tripling, went up the local shows had to raise the ticket prices to keep up with expenses. As tix went up, less of the local people would show up which would at some cause the show to make even less money or loose money. Those shows went away and... guess what... the distance to the remaining local shows got greater which (along with the higher gas costs) added to the bus bill for the corps. Corps needed higher prize money from the local shows which added to the local corps expense so (go back a few sentences as another local show goes under). for corps whose main income was the local show they hosted... repeat vicious cycle above as the shows made less money as expenses increased. Throw in the rust belt economy going to crap during this time and less people could be in a corps as they were trying to keep the family fed.

Bottom line is within a 2 hour drive of my house there used to be about 6-8 local Sr corps and a Sr (RCA or DCA) show every other weekend over the summer. Now... well 2 Alumni types and 1 competing corps. DCI changes didn't affect that as nearest Jr corps in the 70s was an hour away and hardly anyone heard of 'em (Belvederes). Of the corps I know about almost all went under due to increased expenses that could not be met and/or membership needs could not be met.

Moral: Look at both sides to get a more balanced view...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Gee Cab...thanks for spending so much time talking about 35 years ago when I graduated high school. Those were great times too! I think maybe your fictional account of the "problem" is a bit off. I guess I should ask, did you march in the 70's and with who(m)?

If you did, what did you do after your marching days? Teach? Audience member?

I watched drum corps evolve from 1970 to present and I like, and have liked, what I see and hear. I would hate to have to watch the same boring shows that we did in 1972 in 2012. I would hate to watch the a 1972 marching band show in 2012. Everything changes!

How can you blame George Hopkins for this? He just started thinking outside the box and put out some dam great drum corps. Even our education system has changed in 35 years. We had one big butt computer in our school that only the top 20 students could take the computer class...NOW every kid in the US knows how to work a laptop and they have one. How cool is that?

The problem isn't George or the Music Majors....I became one in my 30's well after junior corps, the problem is the government conspiracy against drum corps. Jesse Ventura will be talking about that next. They deliberately ended the Vietnam War to soon so that they could rid the country of out of tune drum and bugle corps. They even conspired to add keyboards, 2 valve horns, the pit, etc. The government is secretly funding the top 12 corps so that they (US) can have total control of DCI. Former President George Bush will be named DCI Executive Director soon. This has been in the works since 9/11.

Be careful CabJr....they are watching you!!!!

• Like 2