The Edge - Today's the day

Not really sure what the mission statement is for The Edge. If it is to promote drum and bugle corps as well as another possible avenue to perform in the pageantry arts without doing field shows, this performance on AGT probably did little to no good. Was it a hoot for the players? I am sure it was. I would find it fun to do. Although it would have been great to see them go further, a show like that wouldn't create enough positive awareness for our activity.

Blast and Shockwave was a good example of this. It was great. Outstanding performances by some of todays finest musicians. Although I was wowed by it, I wouldn't drive 30 miles to see it again. Now I know some people may have seen it numerous times, but I would be willing to bet that it was the drum corps nut who did. Not the average consumer.

The best performances for a group like this would be at MANY high schools, colleges and music schools that might enlighten kids about performance opportunities available to them. Maybe you would find enough students to create multiple traveling groups along with drawing attention to the corps. I am sure it has to be slightly more cost efficient to travel with The Edge than with a full corps.

Upon asking my daughter, who attends the Eastman School of Music as a trombone performance major, if anyone in her school knows of drum corps. She said maybe a small handful. She said that if I hadn't taught Empire she wouldn't know it existsted. The school of music is in the HEART of Rochester and few student know about it. If all we target are kids in marching band programs, this activity will stay the same. I have taught in public schools for 22 years. I cannot do today with my students that I did 10 years ago. You have to change it up and often. Kids today get bored pretty quick and when they do, they move on to the next great activity.

I applaud The Edge for going out on a limb and trying something that few would think to do. TV will not sustain this activity. Getting to the students and creating MULTIPLE performance opportunities other than field corps will draw more attention to pageantry arts. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Not really sure what the mission statement is for The Edge. If it is to promote drum and bugle corps as well as another possible avenue to perform in the pageantry arts without doing field shows, this performance on AGT probably did little to no good. Was it a hoot for the players? I am sure it was. I would find it fun to do. Although it would have been great to see them go further, a show like that wouldn't create enough positive awareness for our activity.

Blast and Shockwave was a good example of this. It was great. Outstanding performances by some of todays finest musicians. Although I was wowed by it, I wouldn't drive 30 miles to see it again. Now I know some people may have seen it numerous times, but I would be willing to bet that it was the drum corps nut who did. Not the average consumer.

The best performances for a group like this would be at MANY high schools, colleges and music schools that might enlighten kids about performance opportunities available to them. Maybe you would find enough students to create multiple traveling groups along with drawing attention to the corps. I am sure it has to be slightly more cost efficient to travel with The Edge than with a full corps.

Upon asking my daughter, who attends the Eastman School of Music as a trombone performance major, if anyone in her school knows of drum corps. She said maybe a small handful. She said that if I hadn't taught Empire she wouldn't know it existsted. The school of music is in the HEART of Rochester and few student know about it. If all we target are kids in marching band programs, this activity will stay the same. I have taught in public schools for 22 years. I cannot do today with my students that I did 10 years ago. You have to change it up and often. Kids today get bored pretty quick and when they do, they move on to the next great activity.

I applaud The Edge for going out on a limb and trying something that few would think to do. TV will not sustain this activity. Getting to the students and creating MULTIPLE performance opportunities other than field corps will draw more attention to pageantry arts. Keep up the good work.

very true and I think Blast without the huge financial backing to start wouldnt have made it to where they did either to even get the chance or break to move forward.

• Like 1

I miss "The Gong Show."

Gene, Gene The Dancing Machine... The Unknown Comic... Lenny Tunes... and many more.

Classic low-rent TV. One of my favorite shows ever!!! :thumbup:

I miss "The Gong Show."

Gene, Gene The Dancing Machine... The Unknown Comic... Lenny Tunes... and many more.

Classic low-rent TV. One of my favorite shows ever!!! :thumbup:

Wheres the love button.

Wheres the love button.

That's a complex question Ed, probably more suitable for another forum:

P401_3.jpg

• Like 1

P401_3.jpg

SNORT!@#$%

P401_3.jpg

:spitting:

Aye-yi-yi....

Someone please remind never to post my thoughts on here ever again.

Thanks in advance!

Donny :doh:

Aye-yi-yi....

Someone please remind never to post my thoughts on here ever again.

Thanks in advance!

Donny :doh:

why? Your thoughts were good. So were Dave Hawthornes