partial list of DCI Casualties

Your BITD must be way before DCI; because I marched in DCI BITD with a big corps and that was not the case.

For the record, sonny, I aged out of Junior Corps in1960. Possibly before your parents were born. That doesn't really provide me with any special gifts of knowledge but, not to worry. It also means that I'll probably check out a lot sooner than you. You're right. I'm wrong. Enjoy.

For the record, sonny, I aged out of Junior Corps in 1960. Possibly before your parents were born. That doesn't really provide me with any special gifts of knowledge but, not to worry. It also means that I'll probably check out a lot sooner than you. You're right. I'm wrong. Enjoy.

I would hope that you would consider supporting SDCA, and the new up-start DCNA, because they really are attempting to accommodate people who harken back to the experiences you had in the pre-DCI era. Please check them out and I think that you will find peace in your heart. Oh, and for the record, while I am younger than you I am not that much of a sonny. My parents were born in the early 1930's so they were adults and already married by the time you aged out; I was born in the early 1960's, and I aged out in the early 1980's which means I am 30 years out of marching; ergo my interest in these historical threads. While you and I both marched in drum corps many moons ago the difference is that your BITD experience was 12 years pre-DCI my BITD experience was a few years post-DCI formation. So, it appears that your anger actually stems from what happened in 1972 along with the subsequent shift in the activity which was vastly different than your pre-DCI experience. That is why I hope you check out SDCA and DCNA.

I agree with you Brian!

But Kieth,,this is the Historical forum, isn't it? I mean you have to go into this forum with your eyes open and expect a little BITD, without getting your feelings hurt right?

I do support the corps of today, very much, and I do think they are superior to what we had as far as talent. What I do not support is the arrogance and acid tones I hear when they talk about our times. Not from all of them of course, just a few that feel that they owe nothing to anyone.

I have a great deal of respect for the kids today in corps and what they must do to accomplish the shows that they put out, but, my respect gets tainted when I feel spit on, by the very people that I am supporting.

Your point is well taken and I respect it,,but, if they are coming to this forum, they are bound to hear old farts tell how things were better BITD

• Like 1

I agree with you Brian!

What I find interesting in these discussion is when people of different eras and corps type (Jr/Sr/top/'non-so top") weigh in. BUT.... everyone has to remember that their experiences do not usually fit for all eras and all type of corps. I started in the mid 70s and saw the tail end of the local (Sr) corps era. That includes being in the lesser Sr corps circuit (RCA) championships one year (10 corps show) and having that circuit disappear 2 years later due to lack of corps.

Was my era like the 60s and older... no... was it like the 80s and newer... no... It was what it was for the time and things changed before and after for many reasons. And so did the rest of the world.

• Like 2

What I find interesting in these discussion is when people of different eras and corps type (Jr/Sr/top/'non-so top") weigh in. BUT.... everyone has to remember that their experiences do not usually fit for all eras and all type of corps. I started in the mid 70s and saw the tail end of the local (Sr) corps era. That includes being in the lesser Sr corps circuit (RCA) championships one year (10 corps show) and having that circuit disappear 2 years later due to lack of corps.

Was my era like the 60s and older... no... was it like the 80s and newer... no... It was what it was for the time and things changed before and after for many reasons. And so did the rest of the world.

Right on the Money ! You can not say to one Era, "Your corps were terrible" YOU JUST CAN'T!! My corps were GREAT,,in my Era, there was nobody better then the corps that were on top,,,IN my Era for that time.

To Make Blind and Ignorant statements to someone from another Era about THAT Era, is simply childish, and shows arrogance and ignorance.

Trust me My Brother never told my father that His Army sucked, just because my brothers army had all the new advances. Could the NEW army beat lets say the army from world war two? Probably, because of advances and schooling, BUT, that doesn't mean that it's a better army all the way around. Just better equiped and educated.

My Point on this discussion is we have vastly seperated Era's arguing over who's better (Stupid) The Era of today is Great,,AND the ERA of Yesterday was GREAT,, there can be no logical argument here.

Edited by BariBrian

LOL, I know the feeling Brian. I've belonged to an old car club even before I descovered Drum Corps. As I've posted in other places, if anyone tried to say that one era was better or sucked, etc, etc people would think they were nuts. To say they were different and compare the differences, yes. To say you like one era over the other, yes. To say one is better or not..... yeah riiiiiight....

• Like 1

Right,

As my father use to say "Don't come into my yard and tell me I'm mowing it wrong"

I respect each Era, and Recognize that everyone is different

One Fact that can not be talked down: The corps of today will always be inferior to the corps of tomorrow ! And what goes around comes around, for anyone who feels the need to act superior to others

Edited by BariBrian

Ahhh the excuse, "Kids have alot of choices!" These include.....sitting on computers after school and playing games, XBox or PS3, Talking and texting on the cell phone. Sitting around and watching TV. Doing chores at home? NO! Partying more than kids in the 70's? YES

Every kid in drum corps today will be so much better than the kid who sits at home on his butt to play World of Warcraft.

Some of the biggest gamers I know I met through drum corps.

Out. Of. Touch.

Some of the biggest gamers I know I met through drum corps.

Out. Of. Touch.

Actually Kieth is fine and in touch. You seem to be the one out of place here. Instead of hanging out with us old guys which you seem to despise and have little regard for, why don't you find some others of your own kind and peddel your distain of past era folks with whoever cares

• Like 2

I would hope that you would consider supporting SDCA, and the new up-start DCNA, because they really are attempting to accommodate people who harken back to the experiences you had in the pre-DCI era. Please check them out and I think that you will find peace in your heart. Oh, and for the record, while I am younger than you I am not that much of a sonny. My parents were born in the early 1930's so they were adults and already married by the time you aged out; I was born in the early 1960's, and I aged out in the early 1980's which means I am 30 years out of marching; ergo my interest in these historical threads. While you and I both marched in drum corps many moons ago the difference is that your BITD experience was 12 years pre-DCI my BITD experience was a few years post-DCI formation. So, it appears that your anger actually stems from what happened in 1972 along with the subsequent shift in the activity which was vastly different than your pre-DCI experience. That is why I hope you check out SDCA and DCNA.

That was a very nice, considerate reply. For which I thank you. You are quite right about my antipathy toward DCI as an entity. My (I wouldn't call it hate) adverse suspicions of DCIs motives and practices, some of which might be viewed as violations of federal RICO statutes, (racketeering), goes back to the UOJC and the "The Combine". Nothing that has transpired since 1971 has lessened those fears and distrust one iota.There are millions of dollars involved now. And money corrupts.

I had a long and enjoyable career in drum corps, beginning at age eight. After 1960 I marched Senior Corps with the Lt Norman Prince Princemen until 1966 and the beginnings of DCA. Subsequently, I instructed, and judged, and supported corps in the Boston area. They continue to have my support. After a long absence I Marched and played in alumni corps from 1998 through 2009.

I still have great admiration for the talent and effort of the kids in today's corps. It's the motives, morals, and tactics of the administrators of DCI that I question.The kids are still doing the best they can, just as they always have. They are just fine.

I think I might well find some peace following SDCA, and DCNA. Unfortunately I know nothing about them, not even what the acronyms stand for. Please advise, as I'd like to find out about them. Thanks again for calling them to my attention.