Why not profit ?

Why non-profit ? With the incredible rising cost of operating a world class corps why not try to make some money? Please educate me.

The term non-profit is sort of a misnomer. 501c3 corporations, commonly known as non-profits, "can" and "should" make a profit. The difference is that in a private businesses the profits go to the owner, in a public corporation the profits go to the stock-holders, and in a 501c3 the profits have to go back into the corporation itself.

You think corps don't make profits? Do you understand how 501c3 works?

You're right. Today's drum corps teach kids nothing. I learned NOTHING about playing music or, you know, life. Totally. They did teach me how to spend thousands of dollars to line the pockets of those evil overlord administrators, though! Real maniacal sorts who love their corps enough to know how to NOT KILL THEM OFF.

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 5

You're right. Today's drum corps teach kids nothing. I learned NOTHING about playing music or, you know, life.

You might be the exception 06, but I imagine the majority have learned something during their time in D&BC. Some have improved their brass, percussion, equipment work. Others have learned to live away from home for a period of time, get along with others, help out without being asked (hopefully), manage money, etc.

• Like 2

You're right. Today's drum corps teach kids nothing. I learned NOTHING about playing music or, you know, life. Totally. They did teach me how to spend thousands of dollars to line the pockets of those evil overlord administrators, though! Real maniacal sorts who love their corps enough to know how to NOT KILL THEM OFF.

I love sarcasm!!! (Being sincere, nothing is better than a good sarcastic comment to make a point!) thumbup.gif

Long story short, tax-exempt status.

True, 501©(3) organizations do often make profits, as they should, since said profits get kicked back into the machine to fuel the next products, services, or in a drum corps' case, the next tour.

:withstupid:

Long story short, tax-exempt status.

True, 501©(3) organizations do often make profits, as they should, since said profits get kicked back into the machine to fuel the next products, services, or in a drum corps' case, the next tour.

Yuppers.... I'm with another group that is currently non-profit. At one point they lost their non-profit status due to (stupidly) either not following all the regulations or not updating their paperwork. Big headache as a portion of the groups income went to taxes which blew the budget (prepared in non-profit days) to Hades. And even more hoops to jump thru to get back to tax exempt.

Then there was that "This is so screwed up we might get audited and hit with back taxes". IOW - the state(?) might decide we should not have been tax exempt some years and give us a bill.

And back to the OP - the group makes a ton of money at a yearly car show (Hershey, PA in Oct). But also ton of expenses for the show, other expenses for the club and donations to other non-profits/worthy causes help use up the money. But there is always a good amount of money in the bank so the group has operating funds.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

because profit would become the 1st consideration not the kids.

you think fee's are high now....