Madison Scouts "Innovators of the 90's"

For the last 10 years or so, I've read almost every topic in DCP and this is my first post. Everyone seems to debate over which corp entertains the crowd all the way to technical excellence in visual performance! I love the way drum corp has evolved ( I really do! ) But after a hard day at work and clicking onto the "Fan Network", I do have to say the Madison Scouts had one hell of a way to make an entrance on to the field and to finish every one of their shows in the 90's. I really enjoy how all the corps tried to play to the audience but far and few accomplished what Scott Stuart did with Madison way back in the 90's!

• Like 6

Word. :thumbup:

• Like 1

For the last 10 years or so, I've read almost every topic in DCP and this is my first post. Everyone seems to debate over which corp entertains the crowd all the way to technical excellence in visual performance! I love the way drum corp has evolved ( I really do! ) But after a hard day at work and clicking onto the "Fan Network", I do have to say the Madison Scouts had one hell of a way to make an entrance on to the field and to finish every one of their shows in the 90's. I really enjoy how all the corps tried to play to the audience but far and few accomplished what Scott Stuart did with Madison way back in the 90's!

Scott's (Stewart) philosophy has not changed as the Director of The Kilties; it's all about the goal of making sure it's a positive and uplifting environment for the membership, striving for excellence on and off the performance venue, and entertaining the fans.

• Like 2

Agreed, go to any shows from the 90's, ANY of them. Madison has multiple moments in nearly every show that has the crowd screaming like they are infected with rabies and the only cure is that MONSTROUS WALL OF SOUND that they deliver time and time again. City of angels? Rememberance? Strawberry soup? Malaga? Malaguena? Pirates? Jesus Christ Superstar? Madison's presentation in the 90's was 2nd to none. The guys that made things happen there were crowd reaction geniuses. Plain and simple. I miss this about many corps. I feel as though now, only the design teams at Phantom and Crown have really been able to come close. BD, Cavies, Cadets, and Bloo are kind of hit or miss (for me personally) design-wise throughout the past decade. Phantom and Crown are the only corps who year after year can get the crowd on their feet through pure sound and visual *pop* moments a la Madison. Feel free to flame. Just the thoughts and opinions of a fan of music.

Edited by Huntington Mallets
  • Like 2

Agreed, go to any shows from the 90's, ANY of them. Madison has multiple moments in nearly every show that has the crowd screaming like they are infected with rabies and the only cure is that MONSTROUS WALL OF SOUND that they deliver time and time again. City of angels? Rememberance? Strawberry soup? Malaga? Malaguena? Pirates? Jesus Christ Superstar? Madison's presentation in the 90's was 2nd to none. The guys that made things happen there were crowd reaction geniuses. Plain and simple. I miss this about many corps. I feel as though now, only the design teams at Phantom and Crown have really been able to come close. BD, Cavies, Cadets, and Bloo are kind of hit or miss (for me personally) design-wise throughout the past decade. Phantom and Crown are the only corps who year after year can get the crowd on their feet through pure sound and visual *pop* moments a la Madison. Feel free to flame. Just the thoughts and opinions of a fan of music.

Madison Scouts had some very entertaining shows in the 90's. They routinely placed between 4th and 9th throughout the decade of the 90's, but most fans couldn't care less about that. They were a big hit from coast to coast.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1991 City of Angels didn't thrill me. Otherwise I agree. From 1992-1999 there wasn't a sucka in the bunch.

I swear to you that Madison's snare/cymbals feature in "Funny" towards the end of their 1992 "City of Angels" show was copied by no less than 50% of the high school bands in the country that fall.

Aw yeah, we doin' this...

I don't care what you say, this is one of the Top 10 percussion features in DCI history for me. Just has GE oozing out its pores.

• Like 2

...Madison has multiple moments in nearly every show that has the crowd screaming like they are infected with rabies and the only cure is that MONSTROUS WALL OF SOUND that they deliver time and time again...

Paraphrasing Christopher Walken: "I've got a fever, and the only cure is MORE MADISON!"

I wouldnt call it innovatiion....many corps had had those types of reactions for many years before that.

it just seems madison sticks out because by then, so few did it

• Like 1