Phantom Regiment 2012

Wow, that was some post on FB !

Obviously some guy who has no appreciation for a true master musician!

That sousaphone player was awesome !

He could make that thing sing and talk.

He told us what he was going to do (worse note ever) and showed us how to do it.

Awesome. But one person either really hated it, didn't understand it or just plain only came for Phantoms show music.

Some thoughts on the concert....

The guard did the traditional thing of sitting in the front row and supporting the rest of the corps.

The pit, as usual, entertained the gathering crowd (1500+) with warmup drill and program selections. Very good!

Concert started with pit playing more program and a Japansese song that I can't remember the name of. Sorry! It was great sounding.

Then we were given a lot of music education. Each instrument in the pit was played, described and harmonized. Even the synth was featured.

Then the drums were introduced, explained and they harmonized with the pit. The snares rocked the Bandshell tonight!!!

Then the brass came on stage, horns were identified and everyone played together. We learned about proper breathing techniques and how they use balloons to build lung volume.

The guest susaphone player came on stage and didn't just play pretty music, he manhandled the instrument and got it to talk, cry and make some awsome sounds.

Brass, drums and pit got to harmonize with him. They loved playing with him and he loved them. A tribute was played to Marty H. New Orleans type music. Fantastic. Again the snares stole the show rocking, rolling, bobbing and weaving. WOW!

And, of course, the show music sound amazing.

It was great to just listen and not to have to follow the story around the field.

The concert was professionally recorded and I'm sure lots of other recordings were made too.

I'm sure one or 2 will popup soon.

Great nite!

Pretty soon the corps will leave me behind and come to a stadium near you. Go see them. It's a great show IMO!

Edited by rkfdPRphan
  • Like 1

Some thoughts on the concert....

The guard did the traditional thing of sitting in the front row and supporting the rest of the corps.

The pit, as usual, entertained the gathering crowd (1500+) with warmup drill and program selections. Very good!

Concert started with pit playing more program and a Japansese song that I can't remember the name of. Sorry! It was great sounding.

Then we were given a lot of music education. Each instrument in the pit was played, described and harmonized. Even the synth was featured.

Then the drums were introduced, explained and they harmonized with the pit. The snares rocked the Bandshell tonight!!!

Then the brass came on stage, horns were identified and everyone played together. We learned about proper breathing techniques and how they use gallons to build lung volume.

The guest susaphone player came on stage and didn't just play pretty music, he manhandled the instrument and got it to talk, cry and make some awsome sounds.

Brass, drums and pit got to harmonize with him. They loved playing with him and he loved them. A tribute was played to Marty H. New Orleans type music. Fantastic. Again the snares stole the show rocking, rolling, bobbing and weaving. WOW!

And, of course, the show music sound amazing.

It was great to just listen and not to have to follow the story around the field.

The concert was professionally recorded and I'm sure lots of other recordings were made too.

I'm sure one or 2 will popup soon.

Great nite!

Pretty soon the corps will leave me behind and come to a stadium near you. Go see them. It's a great show IMO!

umm.... that would be Sam Pilafian... the Kobe Bryant of tuba!

• Like 1