Physical or mental ailments

I know a guy who marched Emerald Knights, Colts, and Cavaliers who was allergic to the sun (back in the 80s) - was covered head to toe. Also know a guy who has Crohn's disease - now he marched his way into my respect column :thumbup:

• Like 1

two of the bravest young women have marched the past 3 seasons with the Colt Cadets - one with half a leg missing the other in constant ankle pain - never a complaint, they just got on with it :thumbup:

Applause.

• Like 1

two of the bravest young women have marched the past 3 seasons with the Colt Cadets - one with half a leg missing the other in constant ankle pain - never a complaint, they just got on with it :thumbup:

There was a Bluecoats tenor player in 92(?) who lost half a foot while a Marine during the first Gulf War.

For that matter, I remember a Sr corps from the northwest (name escapes me) in late 90s or so that had a member in a power wheel-chair. They attached the US Flag, gave her a saber, and she motored over to the front sideline, 1 yard-line, side 2.

From these and the above examples as well as others in this thread I think it is safe to say 'If you want to march bad enough, a physical limitation won't hold you back'

There's also that kid from 07 Oregon Crusaders who was not only in a wheelchair (some degenerative disease...don't remember exactly what) with some solenoids so he could play his bari (a concert one...special waiver from DCI as I recall), he was a soloist -- and a good one, too. Mad MAD props to OC for finding a way to include him.

OCbari.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

There was a guy in SCV in the late 90s/early 2000s who had Tourette's. Rob Nieves, now running the Cadet Corps. Great guy.

I don't really think Tourette's is a "disability" per se - see, I have it, so I can talk - but it does distract other people enough to be considered an aspect of you.

And I've heard from multiple sources (and confirmed it myself) that the abundance of motor energy with which Tourette's can provide people can actually make them better drummers. :huh2:

Only thing I can think of is the one marching bell player we had in the late 70s. He had deviated septum surgery which really altered part of his face. One guy said it looked like someone stuck a plunger on his face and gave a good yank to pull it out. Kicker was he did the surgery in Summer so he did a good part of the season with his jaw wired shut and eating his meals thru a straw. No idea how he kept up his nourishment and he was a small guy to begin with.

Edited by JimF-LowBari