Move DCI to Santa Clara!

But it's ok for the west coast corps to do it?

To do what? Indianapolis is pretty centrally located.

If you're talking about previous championships on the east coast, I don't really have any knowledge of them. In any case, it's still unfair to some corps that way.

• Like 1

To do what? Indianapolis is pretty centrally located.

If you're talking about previous championships on the east coast, I don't really have any knowledge of them. In any case, it's still unfair to some corps that way.

Oregon Crusaders: Portland to Indy: 2237 miles

BD -- Concord to Indy: 2229 miles

Pacific Crest -- Chino Hills to Indy: 2042 miles

Crossmen -- San Antonio to Indy: 1173 miles

Troopers -- Cheyenne to Indy: 1078 miles

Cadets -- Allentown to Indy: 622 miles

Spirit -- Atlanta to Indy: 534 miles

Colts -- Dubuque to Indy: 375 miles

Cavaliers -- Chicago to Indy: 187 miles

"Centrally located" my ###....

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 2

Oregon Crusaders: Portland to Indy: 2237 miles

BD -- Concord to Indy: 2229 miles

Pacific Crest -- Chino Hills to Indy: 2042 miles

Crossmen -- San Antonio to Indy: 1173 miles

Troopers -- Cheyenne to Indy: 1078 miles

Cadets -- Allentown to Indy: 622 miles

Spirit -- Atlanta to Indy: 534 miles

Colts -- Dubuque to Indy: 375 miles

Cavaliers -- Chicago to Indy: 187 miles

"Centrally located" my ###....

I'm a nerd so I ran some of the numbers. Looking at the top 25 world class corps, its clear that a west coast championships is not practical for the corps we currently have involved in the circuit. The total and average miles driven would be nearly doubled, 2 corps and their fans would be asked to travel over 3,000 miles, and in general, it would require far more travel in contrast to any of the other 3 scenarios. Championships in the DC area (hypothetical east coast location) would also be impractical in comparison, although much more advantageous to more groups than a Santa Clara championships. The lowest total number of miles traveled would be, not surprisingly, where championships currently reside in indianapolis. There is a solid argument, however for a championships somewhere like Kansas City. The average miles traveled would be a little higher, but there is a bit more parity in the numbers traveled by each corps.

Bottom line is, Indy is where championships are, and will be for the foreseeable future. It is, in fact, centrally located for the existing corps in the DCI circuit. There are far more corps on the eastern side of the country than on the west. Its is unfortunate for the west coast corps who often have to travel a bit more, but the fact is, that's the problem with a national championship. You can't please everyone.

From the corps base of operations, to Indianapolis:

Cadets 622 miles

Blue Devils 2229 miles

Cavaliers 187 miles

Crown 595 miles

Phantom Regiment 269 miles

Santa Clara Vanguard 2282 miles

Bluecoats 302 miles

Crusaders 975 miles

Blue Stars 463 miles

Madison Scouts 320 miles

Blue Knights 1085 miles

Spirit 534 miles

Glassmen 222 miles

Troopers 1078 miles

Academy 1690 miles

Colts 375 miles

Crossmen 1173 miles

Pacific Crest 2042 miles

Mandarins 2164 miles

Teal Sound 849 miles

Blue Devils B 2229 miles

Seattle Cascades 2246 miles

Vanguard Cadets 2282 miles

Jersey Surf 672 miles

Spartans 995 miles

Total miles = 23,882

Average number of miles driven = 955.28

Lowest number of miles driven = 187

Highest number of miles driven = 2282

Number of corps asked to drive more than 1,000 miles = 11

Number of corps asked to drive more than 2,000 miles = 7

Number of corps asked to drive more than 3,000 miles = 0

Same numbers if championships were in Santa Clara:

Cadets 2880 miles

Blue Devils 54 miles

Cavaliers 2158 miles

Crown 2684 miles

Phantom Regiment 2116 miles

Santa Clara Vanguard 0 miles

Bluecoats 2535 miles

Crusaders 3128 miles

Blue Stars 2104 miles

Madison Scouts 2122 miles

Blue Knights 1301 miles

Spirit 2436 miles

Glassmen 2388 miles

Troopers 1173 miles

Academy 723 miles

Colts 2030 miles

Crossmen 1696 miles

Pacific Crest 372 miles

Mandarins 118 miles

Teal Sound 2759 miles

Blue Devils B 54 miles

Seattle Cascades 839 miles

Vanguard Cadets 0 miles

Jersey Surf 2935 miles

Spartans 3146 miles

Total miles = 41,751

Average number of miles driven = 1,670

Lowest number of miles driven = 0

Highest number of miles driven = 3,146

Number of corps asked to drive more than 1,000 miles = 17

Number of corps asked to drive more than 2,000 miles = 11

Number of corps asked to drive more than 3,000 miles = 2

Kansas City:

Cadets 1103 miles

Blue Devils 1785 miles

Cavaliers 522 miles

Crown 972 miles

Phantom Regiment 480 miles

Santa Clara Vanguard 1842 miles

Bluecoats 783 miles

Crusaders 1431 miles

Blue Stars 468 miles

Madison Scouts 458 miles

Blue Knights 599 miles

Spirit 802 miles

Glassmen 735 miles

Troopers 814 miles

Academy 1194 miles

Colts 393 miles

Crossmen 812 miles

Pacific Crest 1595 miles

Mandarins 1719 miles

Teal Sound 1188 miles

Blue Devils B 1785 miles

Seattle Cascades 1890 miles

Vanguard Cadets 1842 miles

Jersey Surf 1155 miles

Spartans 1449 miles

Total miles = 27,786

Average number of miles driven = 1,111

Lowest number of miles driven = 393

Highest number of miles driven = 1890

Number of corps asked to drive more than 1,000 miles = 13

Number of corps asked to drive more than 2,000 miles = 0

Baltimore MD (lets pick a spot central to the East Coast just for giggles):

Cadets 142 miles

Blue Devils 2798 miles

Cavaliers 717 miles

Crown 479 miles

Phantom Regiment 789 miles

Santa Clara Vanguard 2885 miles

Bluecoats 339 miles

Crusaders 410 miles

Blue Stars 982 miles

Madison Scouts 848 miles

Blue Knights 1672 miles

Spirit 699 miles

Glassmen 472 miles

Troopers 1827 miles

Academy 878 miles

Colts 878 miles

Crossmen 1639 miles

Pacific Crest 2643 miles

Mandarins 2732 miles

Teal Sound 749 miles

Blue Devils B 2798 miles

Seattle Cascades 2765 miles

Vanguard Cadets 2885 miles

Jersey Surf 119 miles

Spartans 428 miles

Total miles = 30,775

Average number of miles driven = 1,231

Lowest number of miles driven = 119

Highest number of miles driven = 2885

Number of corps asked to drive more than 1,000 miles = 10

Number of corps asked to drive more than 2,000 miles = 6

• Like 2

The driving distances are interesting, but it's not as though corps travel straight to finals from their home towns.

The real story is total mileage over the course of the season (average mileage per day would be interesting as well). Do corps keep records of this sort of thing? I've always been curious about what the mileage of a west coast corps would look like compared to a midwestern or eastern one. It seems to me as though mileage for the corps would be fairly even up until finals. Yes, the western corps have to travel across country, but the eastern corps are on the move as well, just within a more limited area. It seems like it's the trip back west after finals that would put the left coast corps over the top in terms of mileage. But I could be way off. Just guessing.

And does a western finals really reduce the mileage of the western corps? In 2007 they still had to go as far east as Allentown and then return back west.

A western finals would be more for fans who never get a chance to see late season corps, or parents who might not otherwise get to see their kids perform during DCI week. Ideally some sort of rotation would be in place, but that's clearly unpractical.

• Like 1

I'm a nerd so I ran some of the numbers. Looking at the top 25 world class corps, its clear that a west coast championships is not practical for the corps we currently have involved in the circuit. The total and average miles driven would be nearly doubled, 2 corps and their fans would be asked to travel over 3,000 miles, and in general, it would require far more travel in contrast to any of the other 3 scenarios. C

I love your numbers -- that's what I was trying to get at, but didn't have the time.

HOWEVER....I will point out -- as others have REPEATEDLY over the last several years (predating 2007) that since 1972, DCI finals have been held west of the Rockies ONE TIME!!

Sure, it'd be best to set a western finals ahead a few years to allow for less affluent corps to raise the funds (and frankly, I thought there wasn't enough time for 07)....but is it too much to ask that the coast with the most championships (38 total across all classes -- World Class/Div 1: BD 14, SCV 6, Kingsmen 1. Open class/Class A/Div II/Div III/Class A-60...the only class the west didn't win at least once was all-girl): Mandarins 7, BDB 3, SCVC 2, Impulse 1, Esperanza 1, Oregon Crusaders 1, Black Watch 1, Cascades 1, Academy 1 (not the actual coast, so it's a stretch, but it's the same region)) to have finals more than ONE TIME IN FOURTY YEARS????

Edited by JohnZ
filter circumvention
  • Like 2

So something like Denver would be ideal?

I still think the west coast is pushing it. I love California, and I loved performing there. That doesn't make it ideal for finals.

I had thought about that, too. My first live DCI event was Drums Along the Rockies when I lived in CO. Loved it!!!!

But, as the sign at the Air Force Academy stadium (at about 1000 ft higher than Mile High) warns visiting teams--"Air is Rare". How much of an impact that would have on Finals I don't know.

I think if it made financial sense DCI would have taken finals out west more than once. That's the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't do it esp. with the likes of BD & SCV being based there.

A week in Southern California would be lovely but not at the expense of financial stability.

From Google maps...I chose the departure point as Santa Clara since that is what the OP was mentioning. Driving time to Indy is 36 hours (not including stops for fuel, etc.) I guess the days are getting longer.

You're correct it's not a days drive from both coasts it's a days drive for half the population, my mistake.

I had thought about that, too. My first live DCI event was Drums Along the Rockies when I lived in CO. Loved it!!!!

But, as the sign at the Air Force Academy stadium (at about 1000 ft higher than Mile High) warns visiting teams--"Air is Rare". How much of an impact that would have on Finals I don't know.

Probably about as much effect as it had in 77, 78 and 04 as well as every year at DATR. Unless of course the Rockies are still pushing upward at a noticeable rate.

Edited by ozarkbugler