Favorite Quiet Moments

1991 Regiment- the silence immediately between the release at the end of "Nessun Dorma" and the crowd going crazy.

'97 Cavaliers- First/last 30 seconds of the show.

'99 Cadets- First 15 seconds or so of the show, several short unison staccato statements followed by several counts of silence. Very crisp, very effective.

Same corps/year: Fourth movement of the show, the soft backfield fanfare building up to the silent guard work, punctuated with the classic "WHADAMAEUVAH!" from the stands.

'89 Vanguard- Keyboard/"Music Box" segment leading into the start of "Music of the Night"- probably because it's followed by one of the best LOUD moments in drum corps. :cool:

2000 Vanguard- Last 45 seconds or so of the show.

2000 Boston- Full corp singing during "Con te Partiro", along with the preceding musical segment.

• Like 2

2011 Boston Baritone. Blew my mind and almost ran out of oxygen holding my breath.

Edited by platesfan
  • Like 2

Barb Moroney 83,84

Star- Amber Waves

Crossmen 11- Hallelujah

• Like 1

Crown '09 - Another vote for their frozen moment in their ballad

Blue Stars '09 - When they played Taps right after the loud dissonant section.

Bluecoats '07 - Laser Beam part of their ballad

SCV '99 - Opening build of the show

Edited by Mr.Potato.Head
  • Like 2

The middle of Crown '09s ballad at the

-- just celeste playing.

Quietest I've ever heard a crowd at a drum corps show. Virtually complete silence at that moment -- so cool.

This. Kinda sucks the DVD goes in for the close up on Nick (nothing against the guy at all) when the focus is obviously supposed to be on the main characters. I would have picked the beginning of Somewhere for the synth closeup.

• Like 1

2010 Phantom Regiment starting and ending their show in the tunnels.....

The first time I saw Into the Light I was taken aback and not really sure what to think of it. When I saw the show at Finals, I was so emotionally moved by the whole thing. I still can't stop watching it.

And yes, Carolina Crown's Nimrod took my breath away.

I'd like to add a guard moment if I may - - Cavaliers 1990 "All Things Bright and Beautiful" - - during the duet, there was this three-way exchange of saber, flag and rifle that was so graceful. The cameras only caught the tail end of it. Pity.

Edited by Fan Mom
  • Like 1

2008 Carolina Crown

-Claire de Lune

-One Hand One Heart

-Somewhere

2009 Carolina Crown

-Tenderland (beginning)

-Somewhere Over the Rainbow

-Somewhere

2010 Carolina Crown

-Nimrod Variations

There have been many beautiful quiet moments through the history of DC. IMO the above are the most incredible - I have a hard time finding the exact words to describe the control that hornline displays when playing quietly (let alone at a greater volume!). I guess Linda Richman (Mike Myers) would describe it best......"It's like Buttah!"

This

Edited by TimbreDeBrass