Crossmen 2012 - Fragile

Anyone got the link for the YouTube video

Crossmen MMX is tonight!

Hopefully we'll see some videos after.

I saw the full run through last nite. Gotta say I was impressed. It is early June and there is much to be seen and heard. Lots of dirt to get cleaned but it is a much more advanced and fun show. Make sure you get there tonite

Please share your review.

Okay, just saw the "Red Rain" video on Fan Network... hilarious!!!

http://dci.thefannetwork.org/?ensemble_id=5949&vod_id=b6f120db-3439-4f67-a97d-8773c886ec67&mode=viral

I love tubas!

There doesn't seem to be a lot going on in the "Show and Event Review" forum right now, so I'll put this review of Crossmen's family day here.

My wife and I took our one-year-old daughter to watch Crossmen's ensemble rehearsal earlier in the week, and then tonight we brought along some of my wife's colleagues and their two-year-old who is going to be a drummer (he even brought his sticks tonight!). So, I will readily admit that I probably didn't pay as much attention to what was going on on the field, and we were sitting really low, only 3 or 4 rows up, so the kids could watch the drums, so I really don't have much to say about anything visual...

The show started with a prelude that had some good moments, but really took too long to get going. I completely understand that you want to include as many people as possible, but this was billed as "The Crossmen Family Day" not "The Crossmen and Revo and an All Age Corps from Austin day." The World Gone Mad all-age corps from up the road in Austin played first. The National Anthem was a bit bumpy, and the stand-up comedy went on waaaaay too long, but the corps seemed to be having fun.

Then, we had performances by each section of the Crossmen mixed with the day campers from today's Crossmen Experience Day. Nice jobs by the guard, pit & battery, and hornine. This was a really good thing for the corps to do. We certainly didn't do anything like it back when I marched, and I hope that they continue to get more kids to come experience the Crossmen in the future.

Then there was a presentation about a drum major leadership camp that had also been going on this week. Again, this took far too long (does anyone really want to watch drum majors "conducting" a recording in public?).

Finally, drum corps....

Revo is back; kind of. They played their show--which basically starts with "Simple Gifts", and then the pieces fall apart, and gradually get put back together--but didn't march at all, and there was a good deal of guard work not yet on the field. They've got a lot of work ahead of them; but, I'm glad to seem them back.

Now, for the main attraction...the Crossmen can play folks. They've got a very solid hornline, and some great soloists. I didn't really get the connection to global warming, but I also completely missed what the opening set was (I was browsing through the "Pretour sights and sounds" thread, and saw the opening set with the continents, and thought "Hmm...that stadium looks vaguely familiar...Oh, that's Crossmen; I was just there!") So, the visual might help with the theme. For me, personally, I don't care about the theme; I like the music, and I like how they're performing it; and that's all I really care about.

There were a couple of things that they need to address. They had amplification issues. During the pre-show there's a recorded thing. Somehow it didn't work right, or they didn't have the show announcers mic on right, or something, but the recording ended...the show didn't start....and finally, the drum major almost reluctanctly turned around, saluted, and then the show began. Then, after the end of the opener, there were some nice lyrical solos from various baritones and mellophones, which, for about 20 seconds, were in turns amped through the pit and not. I don't *think* that they were trying to mic the soloists (they certainly didn't need to be amplified). But, folks, if you're going to do something, please do it well. That moment was pretty much ruined for any of us sitting anywhere close to pit speakers tonight, and it had nothing to do with the marching members on the field.

Finally, the very end of the show doesn't work. There's a beautiful, huge musical climax, during which the corps proper frames the guard, setting up a really nice flag moment, which felt like it should have been the end of the show. But then, the music went on (and my wife turned to me and said, "Wow, this is a really long show." But then, what felt like it was going to be a transition to another part of the show ended, and the show was over. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I really don't remember anyone applauding until the drum major saluted. I thought that the loud climax would have made a great ending, and this show doesn't feel like it needs a soft ending. Maybe there's a visual reason, but it didn't seem like the folks who were sitting higher up tonight got that, either. Maybe there's more to be put in? It just didn't really give us the ending the rest of the show seemed to be promising.

I don't want this review to suggest that I was disappointed by the Crossmen's performance. I'm very excited about what I saw tonight, from both design and execution standpoints. I can't wait to see how the show's matured in the Alamodome in July. Good luck, Bones. Have a great season!

• Like 1

Hmm...soft ending sounds like a possible throwback to the 92 ending? Hard to say without seeing it! Anyway, surely they'll get the kinks ironed out, hopefully before their first show. Should be a good summer for them from the sounds of it