Carolina Crown 2012

The middle section loses me. I can't figure out how it fits in with the theme. Seems too lighthearted and out of place with the rest of the show.

That said, the opener and closer of this show are remarkable. I'm not sure a brass book of this calibre has ever been attempted on the field, and they are playing the snot out it.

Can't wait to experience it live on Sunday.

• Like 2

Hooray for no concept lol. I'm usually not sharp enough to keep up with any theme unless it's blatant as hell...I'm usually looking to see if the visual reflects the energy the music is giving me. Any over-arching stuff above and beyond that which I'm lucky enough to comprehend is gravy for me.

One of the things I most like about this years Crown show is that the concept/theme is very open to each audience members interpretation. To me there are political, spiritual and moral ideas here. This IMO is best displayed in the slow gathering company front. They slowly add members to Fanfare for the Common Man as if "lifting" people up to achieve a higher purpose. A purpose that gets stronger with each person/corps member contribution added to build something that could never be achieved without the help of others or community. There is a sense of chaos and dissonance before that point in show... then a willingness to do something for the "Common Good". This of course is what it means to me..... most will probably think that I am reading too much into this... But quite frankly I prefer this to having a prerecorded lecture telling what to think. Just watching the news on a daily basis nowadays makes me wonder if this could be achieved in our current political mess.... We are certainly living in a time of chaos and self absorption. Hopefully at some point we will begin to focus on what is good for us as a whole and not just what gives instant personal gratification.

• Like 2

This IMO is best displayed in the slow gathering company front. They slowly add members to Fanfare for the Common Man as if "lifting" people up to achieve a higher purpose. A purpose that gets stronger with each person/corps member contribution added to build something that could never be achieved without the help of others or community. There is a sense of chaos and dissonance before that point in show... then a willingness to do something for the "Common Good".

I like this because it's basically what I think about when performing the show (this part in particular).

Edited by CrownBaritone
  • Like 2

One of the things I most like about this years Crown show is that the concept/theme is very open to each audience members interpretation. To me there are political, spiritual and moral ideas here. This IMO is best displayed in the slow gathering company front. They slowly add members to Fanfare for the Common Man as if "lifting" people up to achieve a higher purpose. A purpose that gets stronger with each person/corps member contribution added to build something that could never be achieved without the help of others or community. There is a sense of chaos and dissonance before that point in show... then a willingness to do something for the "Common Good". This of course is what it means to me..... most will probably think that I am reading too much into this... But quite frankly I prefer this to having a prerecorded lecture telling what to think.

well said :thumbup: I think this show works because of the idea/ theme is open to each individuals interpertation of what "The Common Good" is. kind of an universal theme. Then if your not interested in investing time in searching for show themes.....then there is some great and well written music.

The slow building company front in Fanfare has surpassed 09's "Puck" as the best Crown moment IMO. :worthy: I still get chills when I hear it.

• Like 2

Crown manipulates space time continuum to gain practice time! Great Scott!!

396046_3897674313613_283978131_n.jpg

Not space/time manipulation but crossing a time zone from east to west.

Two weeks ago, I arrived in Chicago on the same day I left China, ten minutes before I left.

• Like 2

Crown in Amherst today!

208937_3905863038326_1503215973_n.jpg

That sign is so awesome to see. Sad, but awesome.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 4

Saw this show tonight in Michigan City. I was so looking forward to seeing this show in person and I wasn't disappointed! Amazing. The Brass,,,The Colorquard..it just has the whole package from start to finish. Keep up the hard work CROWN and you will be rewarded in INDY! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I too was in Michigan City and was equally impressed. The show is so different from what they've done recently, and yet it's so much like Crown's identity, which seems to be able to change year after year and yet stay grounded in whatever the corps projects as its overlying arc from year to year.

• Like 2

That sign is so awesome to see. Sad, but awesome.

I was thinking of George Parks as I watched Crown rehearse in the place George led so many great perfomances of the "Power and Class".

Edited by pbeau
  • Like 2

Like Chad, I still don't get the middle third (or more) of the show, but the beginning and end certainly have my attention. I think I like 2009 and 2010 more so far, but I'm comparing this year's show NOW to those shows in AUGUST, and that ain't very fair.