Blue Devils

27th Lancers

Muchachos

Madison Scouts

Cavaliers

Purple Lancers

SCV

27th done! :thumbup:

Hmmm, wanted to march Bridgemen and 27. Did obtain my DCA corps goal, and marched Statesmen though! (Maybe one day I will march Bridgemen alum...... just a thought)

I should probably add..."why didn't I?" For me my loyalties were with the Royal Coachmen up till they disbanded in 1977 (May). In hindsight, I probably should have gone to either Imperial Regiment or to Toronto and march with Seneca Optimists. It was coming up on my senior year in high school and I ended up doing Frontiersmen for the 77 season with the majority of former Royal Coachmen. Many of us left after that season.

After the Kingsmen I so wanted to march with the Bridgemen. I even wrote a letter,but no response.

After the Kingsmen I so wanted to march with the Bridgemen. I even wrote a letter,but no response.

You should just have shown up. Letters? You assume the ability to actually read! (I'm sure this is considered a flame)

Hmm...when I was looking to move up from a GSC corps to an 'A' corps after the 69 season, I went back and forth between Garfield and my favorite at the time, Blessed Sac. Ended up picking Garfeld, as I had more friends there who had moved over a year before. But BS was really my pesonal favorite growing up.

Other corps I'd love to have marched with in my junior-age era...

27th Lancers

Troopers

I would have marched in the late 70's/early 80's, and my first choice would have been 27th Lancers. I loved the way that 27th entered a stadium for competition and appeared to be above the fray, never in a snobbish or intimidating manner, but in a confident manner. I loved their musical selections and 27th always had an emotional pull. 27th was also the subject of a local PBS documentary that made them appear to be a family, so I always thought it would be a great experience. However, now that many former members post comments made by their instructors, especially the famous George Zingali, I would probably have lasted about five minutes. I wasn't very thick skinned back in the day.

Realistically I did almost join Holy Family Defenders of Rockland. I always enjoyed their shows, and during my high school years they were beginning to edge toward DCI Associate level. They also trained people with band backgrounds for the horn line. All I needed was transportation and a few kids in my hometown hoped to join as well, so this would have been a problem solved, but it never materialized.

Other corps I thought would have been great experiences would have been Garfield Cadets pre-1981 and the Troopers. I always had the sense they enjoyed performing their shows and marching together. Two corps I loved but would never wanted to join are BAC and North Star. I marched with a CYO band (St. Joseph's Medway) and some members became Boston Crusaders. We also had some instructors who also instructed BAC and made the experience sound like Marine boot camp so I was happy to enjoy them from the stands. I loved North Star too and they always seemed to have a good time, but again loved them from the stands. Of course I know that they had to work very hard to have such good shows.

Marching in a CYO band gave me a taste for competition, and I would have loved to march with a drum corps. I did follow corps with an obsession and had another drum corps dream. If I didn't march, I wanted to write for "Drum Corps News," figuring it would be a great way to see shows all over the country. That dream ended when I spoke with someone who wrote for DCN and discovered I'd have to pay to get into the shows and find my own way to get there. I never thought to ask if the writers got paid for their articles. And of course there was another small issue, namely that my parents would never have allowed me to travel across the country on my own while in high school.

1982 Blue Devils.

1980 Bridgemen.

1984 Garfield Cadets.

Suncoast Sound - 83-86.

Regiment.