Props -- who's got 'em?

I didn't say they didn't make sense. I said they were visually ineffective.

This is flat out wrong. Love 'em, or hate 'em, Blue Devils' prop use over the last few years have been EXTREMELY effective. The mirrors especially were off the hook effective for that show, I think the house stuff last year was effective, and even the chairs added cool effect to their visual design.

I know that too many people like to substitute stuff like, "in my opinion..." or "ineffective design" or "bad design" with what they really mean, which is "I don't like it" or "I don't understand it." Heck, I catch myself doing it as well. It's human mentality to feel like we have to justify our opinions with definitive, broad statements about poor quality.

For example, I was not a huge fan of Madison Scouts show last year. It is very easy, and a little bit lazy, for me to substitute, "I don't really like the direction/design of their show" with "their show has cheap, pandering GE that has no effect or technical merit." (note, I don't necessarily believe that, I'm more interested in illustrating my point).

You saying that Blue Devils' use of props the last few years were "visually ineffective" literally means you either A) want to appear intellectually superior or "right" instead of being honest and saying you didn't like their show or their props, or B) you are seriously naive or ignorant about either what is effect, or naive/ignorant about the meaning and symbolism in Blue Devils' visual design.

• Like 9

This is flat out wrong. Love 'em, or hate 'em, Blue Devils' prop use over the last few years have been EXTREMELY effective. The mirrors especially were off the hook effective for that show, I think the house stuff last year was effective, and even the chairs added cool effect to their visual design.

I know that too many people like to substitute stuff like, "in my opinion..." or "ineffective design" or "bad design" with what they really mean, which is "I don't like it" or "I don't understand it." Heck, I catch myself doing it as well. It's human mentality to feel like we have to justify our opinions with definitive, broad statements about poor quality.

For example, I was not a huge fan of Madison Scouts show last year. It is very easy, and a little bit lazy, for me to substitute, "I don't really like the direction/design of their show" with "their show has cheap, pandering GE that has no effect or technical merit." (note, I don't necessarily believe that, I'm more interested in illustrating my point).

You saying that Blue Devils' use of props the last few years were "visually ineffective" literally means you either A) want to appear intellectually superior or "right" instead of being honest and saying you didn't like their show or their props, or B) you are seriously naive or ignorant about either what is effect, or naive/ignorant about the meaning and symbolism in Blue Devils' visual design.

Ignoring the obvious attacks in an attempt to incite some sort of overreactive comment, I ask you this question(s):

Do you think that BD's props raised their GE scores? Do you think that what they did with those props was more visually effective than a good drill or guard moment would have been in their place?

I, again, DO NOT.

• Like 2

1338445321[/url]' post='3143908']

Don't they have a prop builder/technician listed in their staff programs? I was pretty sure they did.

Yup, one of the BD alums from 01-02 is the Set Frabricator. From the videos/photos of rehearsals, BD doesn't have any props. But that can change within the next few weeks.

Ignoring the obvious attacks in an attempt to incite some sort of overreactive comment, I ask you this question(s):

Do you think that BD's props raised their GE scores? Do you think that what they did with those props was more visually effective than a good drill or guard moment would have been in their place?

I, again, DO NOT.

actually , Yes I do think it added to their score a bit...At least it helped tell the story they were trying to bring to life. Of course they could march a clean show with out them BUT thats not the point of the props. Imagine a broadway production minus sets or costumes. Would the actors sing as well, dance as well, of course, does it come together visually more to the eye with the props and costumes..of course it does....A good example was chorus line. Minus of everything till the end , which was the whole point of a visual dazzler putting it all together.

Do corps need props? NO . Can they add a great deal visually ,YES they can..just more eye candy.

Now if you want to ask, SHOULD a corps use props..well that can be a very sujbjective debate. JMO

• Like 5

I've heard they will be entering the field and starting their opener with the entire corps underneath a giant christmas present.......

Wonder if Bridgemen still have the giant Present they used in 85 (was it 85?). Of course that Chirstmas Show was tearful to watch!

actually , Yes I do think it added to their score a bit...At least it helped tell the story they were trying to bring to life. Of course they could march a clean show with out them BUT thats not the point of the props. Imagine a broadway production minus sets or costumes. Would the actors sing as well, dance as well, of course, does it come together visually more to the eye with the props and costumes..of course it does....A good example was chorus line. Minus of everything till the end , which was the whole point of a visual dazzler putting it all together.

Do corps need props? NO . Can they add a great deal visually ,YES they can..just more eye candy.

Now if you want to ask, SHOULD a corps use props..well that can be a very sujbjective debate. JMO

You have some good points.The accusation of corps using props to cover the flaws of a poorly designed show dates back to the Bridgemen (speaking of "A Chorus Line") and continued with the Velvet Knights. Yet when I watch Legacy DVD's, I am impressed with how "clean" the Bridgemen actually were and am impressed with the strength of their horns and percussion. Props can only enhance a show that is already strong. When I saw last year's BD show, there were prop issues and "A House is not a Home" almost became "A House Divided." BD still own the show, besting cadets, SCV , and BAC. Obviously the drill design, musical book, precision, etc made the show a success that evening.

hmmmm maybe picture frames for Madison, Xmas decor for cadets, Spirit ( Please no fuzzy dice or big dice to dance on..many many bands a some DCA corps have been there and done that, and done that and done that.

I see Glassmen maybe with some abstract glass or shiny thing, maybe like STAR I think it was 93...I have a feeling BD may go prop less just to bust those who do..Or they will go over the top with props..Its all cool as long as it works and adds not detracts from the show process....BUT NO DICE SPIRIT>>>>LOL>..

As far as I know, no dice for Spirit. BUT, there will be props, and having helped out with a prototype, they are awesome. Go see the show!