Upgrading the judges

Please, no comments on individuals or PERSONS on this thread. I have three practical suggestions I would like Mr. Cesario to consider what I think would enhance the fan experience and compliment the changes in the recently upgraded scoring sheets which seem to focus on fan engagement. Please feel free to comment on my ideas, or make suggestions of your own. I hope Mr. Cesario and DCI will read this, and consider my suggestions.

My premise is that judges are a part of the on-field show, and that less is better. Fans come to watch corps perform, not watch judges judge.

1. Mr. Cesario, you are World Class uniform designer. Is it possible to design a judge's uniform so they can BLEND IN to the background, instead of STANDING OUT?

2. Can judges be directed to move when the corps move, and stop moving when the corps stop? Nothing is more annoying than to see a corps "hit" a moving form into a dead standstill, both musically and visually, then watch a judge bring attention to himself by walking or running when EVERYTHING else on the field has stopped. It seems like common sense to me, but it has never been done by the judging community as a whole.

3. I have been a corps fan since 1980, and I have always feared the day when "fans" would count in the scoring. The reason being is that in years past I have heard corps staffs FLOOD the stairways of shows up and down the 50 while their corps is performing, screaming and whooping, and trying to "drum up" audience reaction by "teaching" the audience when to cheer for their idea of "big moments." It ruins the whole show for me,because I get angry at people standing in the aisles instead of cheering for the performers on the field. I don't go to shows to get angry. Can you speak to how DCI might address stopping corps staffs as a whole, from doing this BEFORE they start ruining shows for us fans?

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

the invisibility cloaks are getting there (real ones, not ones from HP)...

Perfect!

Edit: You've inspired me!

Camo-Wedding-Dresses-Realtree.jpg

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I would posit that if you're noticing the judges on the field, the corps' design staff has failed to engage you otherwise.

The only upgrading I would like to see is judges being there to critique, rather than cheerlead. It's a good thing DCI dropped the judges tapes portion of the DVDs, as they were usually more embarrassing than enlightening ("wow, great job! You guys are amazing!" Blech.)

But on point 3 I'm down with you. Staff should go upstairs and watch the show and the audience, making notes of what they want to fix tomorrow rather than acting like a bunch of soccer dads/moms.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 2

3. I have been a corps fan since 1980, and I have always feared the day when "fans" would count in the scoring. The reason being is that in years past I have heard corps staffs FLOOD the stairways of shows up and down the 50 while their corps is performing, screaming and whooping, and trying to "drum up" audience reaction by "teaching" the audience when to cheer for their idea of "big moments." It ruins the whole show for me,because I get angry at people standing in the aisles instead of cheering for the performers on the field. I don't go to shows to get angry. Can you speak to how DCI might address stopping corps staffs as a whole, from doing this BEFORE they start ruining shows for us fans?

my biggest pet peeve of all time,..............I have been bagging on this for years,..........

• Like 2

I almost literally never notice judges. Then again, I almost never notice the colorguard, and they tend to have a large visual presence... Nothing personal, just a hornline guy.

I do notice when they run around during a "stop," though, at times.

I'm not sure how this could be rectified too much. If they're invisible, then dozens will die each year from hornline collisions (and this happens enough already). The performers need to be able to see them too.

Just watch the high cam of Cadets '08 for an example of difficult judging... A section probably written to keep the judge away from the drumline.

• Like 6

1. Mr. Cesario, you are World Class uniform designer. Is it possible to design a judge's uniform so they can BLEND IN to the background, instead of STANDING OUT?

Don't they already wear green on a green field? It seems fit given their position.

• Like 5

I have an idea. I would like to field a corps wearing green shirts and kaki pants. :lookaround::peek::whistle:

Green shirts, plus green pants with white stripes on the legs.

Much like a herd of zebra will confusing a pursuing lion, watch how the drum corps performs pass-throughs at 210bpm to make the visual judges look like that guy from "Scanners"...

Visual Effect judge: :spitting:

Visual Analysis judge: :tic:

Visual Proficiency judge: :crazy:

• Like 2

I almost literally never notice judges. Then again, I almost never notice the colorguard, and they tend to have a large visual presence... Nothing personal, just a hornline guy.

I'm a colour guard girl and buy CDs for the music lol :)