Upgrading the judges

then they should do it quietly. They are encroaching on paying customers. They should be thankful for the opportunity to be able to watch from that vantage point and not be disruptive.

Are they all disruptive? No. But it is definitely not rare.

I don't understand: are you saying staff are continually disruptive during a show, audience members complain to the ushers/DCI, and nothing is done?

Or, are you saying that staff cheer for their team during the show, are sometimes disruptive, and...?

I guess maybe buy the Fan Network where you can watch a show in the silence of your living room without ANYONE being too obtrusively cheerful for a corps. We're talking about you being upset because someone is cheering TOO LOUDLY for a corps, right? They're not booing, making rude remarks, etc?

I don't get it: I think people are just bit$%^ng to bit$%

• Like 2

I don't understand: are you saying staff are continually disruptive during a show, audience members complain to the ushers/DCI, and nothing is done?

Or, are you saying that staff cheer for their team during the show, are sometimes disruptive, and...?

I guess maybe buy the Fan Network where you can watch a show in the silence of your living room without ANYONE being too obtrusively cheerful for a corps. We're talking about you being upset because someone is cheering TOO LOUDLY for a corps, right? They're not booing, making rude remarks, etc?

There's a difference between cheering on your corps and screeching over every little moment, impact or not, and generally being obnoxious. Everyone expects noise, applause, and cheering at a drum corps show, but when it gets to the you can't hear the show . . . then it is a problem. Most staffs are fine, but a few are notorious for poor behavior. I don't really think it's a huge problem, but anyone who denies it doesn't exist at all has either been very lucky or is being willfully ignorant.

• Like 1

Seriously, perc? This has never happened to you?

The etiquete of shutting the heck up at shows is long and well-respected by most. The most irriating people in the stands are the walk-in, the chatter-boxes, and the staff.

Ushers usually block the walk-ins, and most fans will quiet the talkers one way or another. But what's to be done about the staff? The ushers can't stop them.

My opinion is that they've seen the show all season and, while I understand it's "their baby", it's not fair to the paying fans who maybe get to see the show only once per season.

JMO

• Like 2

Yeah, I think its just people making a mountain out of a mole hill. We're not talking about a concert hall here, where silence is expected between movements of a piece. If someone is making more noise than you want to deal with, say something. If you're not willing to speak up about it, then don't complain about it. But this is not DCI's problem.

I understand what you're saying, but I really disagree. My opinion is that these are performances for a paying audience, not a practice sessions.

It IS a concert hall, not a football, baseball, or basketball game. Silence IS pretty much expected. That is the general rule and there are some exceptions. Anything else is just plain old rude.

So saying something during a performance would also be rude because it ruins the experience for everyone around. Two wrongs don't make a right...

Frankly, if it's not DCIs problem whose problem is it? smile.gif

...and I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill either, but I've been going to shows for over 20 years; I have seen rude staffs ruin a performance for a whole row pretty much at all of the shows I've been to.. I do appreciate that this behavior doesn't bother you, but let's not minimize its' effect on other people.

• Like 2

no, I have watched staff members sprint up 25 flights of stairs to get to the top and sit in the aisle, and then comment the entire show. And regarding the cheering, the problem is not that they cheer. The problem is that when no one else in the audience is cheering, it is better if 4 staff members that worked hard at rehearsal to get little johnny to hit his dot in set 74 do not decide to go wildly crazy for him for fun.

I don't know where you watch drum corps live, but the shows that I go to don't generally have ushers, or they are just like HS kids that volunteer. I'm sure at the big shows this is not an issue as much.

• Like 1

Maybe DCI needs to require all corps staff/volunteers to watch from a designated area that will not take away from the paying customers enjoyment. I imagine the majority of fans in the stands are not going nuts several times for each corps performance. And if I attended as many contests as some of you folks do, and paid good money for decent seats, and had some alpha hotel jumping up in front of my line-of-site......

• Like 1

You're right: the SCV "Vanguard" yell thing = their staff not being able to program moments into their show.

Or did you think that somehow magically caught on by random fans and just spread through out the country during the season

Wow, good point! tongue.gifph34r.gif

That's unnecessary. Not all corps have housing sites every night where there are even stands, much less ones the staff can see the corps from a box level. Not everyone gets awesome pro football stadiums to rehearse in everywhere they go.

The staff needs to be able to gauge the show from box level at a real show.

Maybe they should have box passes...

yes i'm sure the judges would be thrilled to have the corps staff in the box with them helping to judge, lol

That's exactly what I was thinking.... devil.gif

Evil, I know...