Upgrading the judges

True, of course. Of course, that's not license for any group to afflict other groups with their boorish behavior. Nor should the legal definition of proprietor prevent the corps and DCI from doing what's right.

What is right? What's right is for those in attendance to enjoy the show. Just as we ask our fellow fan/patron not to enter or exit the stands during the show, it is perfectly reasonable to ask the staff to show similar respect for others. No one expects them to sit mute. They are entitled to cheer as any reasonable fan would. This is about being reasonable. Just as we would expect other fans not to talk on their phones through the program, it is reasonable to expect staffs to avoid behavior that might be disruptive to those around them. This is the standard we expect for all in attendance, isn't it? No one should be disruptive. Why should staff in the stands be exempt?

The solution is the corps. The corps should demand that while in the stands that staff behave with decorum. That's not asking too much, is it? We wouldn't tolerate those staff members talking through other corps' shows. We shouldn't have to tolerate their chatter through their own corps' shows.

Think of this another way. Corps enforce behaviour among their members, staff and volunteers for many reasons, one of which is the desire to leave a positive impression in the communities we touch. Even if you dispute the magnitude of the negative perceived in this case, you can't dispute the virtue of leaving only positive impressions instead.

Staff ought to be a leader in positive impressions. Unfortunately, in this and other respects, that's not the case because of a lack of respect.

HH

Seeing as we are on it

There is this corps, one you may be slightly familiar with, that seemed to take their staff, their drivers, their cooks, all the volunteers and perhaps a few folks picked up along on the road into the stands. All total, it was a pack of what seemed to be 40 plus people in the stands, up the middle aisle to the top, prime seats that were sold out and already too tight for my comfort and then more of their mob was on the field at that poor, tiny little stadium in Michigan City back in 2010. They were well behaved but it was too many people. They overwhelmed stadium traffic; their entourage became the show in the stands. They packed the aisles, there was no space for them yet… it was too much, too many, just wasn’t cool….it also had the unintended effect that Corpsband alluded to of a homer showing up for just one corps….and all this while the back field bleachers were wide open and easily accessible

Just saying as I doubt that corps would like the way they presented themself had then been aware of it (just guessing of course)

None of the other corps that night even came close to the numbers they traveled with to the stands/field but another corps staff was more obnoxious

Say that happens again, what would you suggest I say to them?

I was thinking something like; buy a seat or move your meat but at 40 to 1, well...I'm not that bold

It is the theater's responsbility, but it is not the movie's producer that is responsible if that person happens to be in the audience. DCI does not generally handle details inside of stadiums like that. That is the responsibility of Bamolamitz High School Band Booster Club or whoever happens to be running the idividual show.

And as the Bamolamitz HS Band Booster Club, what kind of show do you think will be scheduled in your stadium if you constantly #### off the staffs of the corps?

The complaint starts from the local producer, but it should go to DCI for enforcement via a simple statement at the beginning of the season. The local show producer has enough to do - not to mention all the liability - for running the show and shouldn't have to worry about the etiquette of his paid guests and its impact on his paying fans.

Want to know one of my biggest pet peeves? When sitting near the judges, hearing them yelling into their recorders and not being able to hear the corps. So add them to your list and email DCI about that too.

This happened at our show, right over my head. Many in the crowd gave him dirty looks and then the yelling started. He finally closed his window, despite the heat. I went to him at intermission and he said that had someone told him he'd have shut up. But people just started yelling at him... He was quite insulted.

But the rest of us heard the show.

I also think the show producer should accept the corps from DCI under the condition that they follow the rules of the producer. If he thinks it's a problem for his fan base he can ban the staffs to the track.

On the other hand, the corps can turn down the show on that basis as well, although I can't imagine that happening.

And as the Bamolamitz HS Band Booster Club, what kind of show do you think will be scheduled in your stadium if you constantly #### off the staffs of the corps?

The complaint starts from the local producer, but it should go to DCI for enforcement via a simple statement at the beginning of the season. The local show producer has enough to do - not to mention all the liability - for running the show and shouldn't have to worry about the etiquette of his paid guests and its impact on his paying fans.

Again, you wouldn't complain to a film studio if someone bothered you during a screening of their movie would you? That's essentially DCI's role in the shows. They provide the show, not the venue, or the experience. They are not in the business of controlling the crowd, whether that crowd be composed of affiliates or not. That is specifically the responsibility of show security, or ushers, which are provided by the host venue, NOT by DCI. Yes, the venue and those who run it have a lot to do, but that's what they signed up for when they agreed to host a show. When you go to a WGI show, as a performer, you are typically given back sideline passes for shows that aren't your own. If you sit in the front side stands, can you guess who will come find you? You can bet they won't work for WGI.

I understand that its become the American culture to find someone to blame for any inconvenience, however, in this instance the matter is clear. DCI is not responsible for the issues being discussed, and they should have no part in its correction. I can guarantee you that individual corps, if made aware of their staff's behavior will handle the matter. Bad PR is not in their best interest, and allowing their staff to act however they please is certainly bad PR. But unless these issues are actually brought to either the staff member's, the venue's, or the corps management's attention, the problem can't be fixed.

• Like 1

... In any case I don't think it's an epidemic that needs a drastic cure (like the penalty you suggested earlier).

Alright. Maybe my penalty suggestion was over the top. Don't hate me. Ever since I started reading DCP ...

HH

I would say as opposed to #####ing on here, you write the directors and ask them to police this themselves. I can tell you, while we all wants the fans to act ppoilte and respectful, nothing you can say in a crowded stadium will work...

You are right.

HH

Seeing as we are on it

There is this corps, one you may be slightly familiar with, that seemed to take their staff, their drivers, their cooks, all the volunteers and perhaps a few folks picked up along on the road into the stands. All total, it was a pack of what seemed to be 40 plus people in the stands...

Another point of agreement.

... Who's going to count off Kumbayah?

HH

Again, you wouldn't complain to a film studio if someone bothered you during a screening of their movie would you? That's essentially DCI's role in the shows. They provide the show, not the venue, or the experience. They are not in the business of controlling the crowd, whether that crowd be composed of affiliates or not. That is specifically the responsibility of show security, or ushers, which are provided by the host venue, NOT by DCI. Yes, the venue and those who run it have a lot to do, but that's what they signed up for when they agreed to host a show. When you go to a WGI show, as a performer, you are typically given back sideline passes for shows that aren't your own. If you sit in the front side stands, can you guess who will come find you? You can bet they won't work for WGI.

I understand that its become the American culture to find someone to blame for any inconvenience, however, in this instance the matter is clear. DCI is not responsible for the issues being discussed, and they should have no part in its correction. I can guarantee you that individual corps, if made aware of their staff's behavior will handle the matter. Bad PR is not in their best interest, and allowing their staff to act however they please is certainly bad PR. But unless these issues are actually brought to either the staff member's, the venue's, or the corps management's attention, the problem can't be fixed.

I don't disagree. But your connotation is for the producer to address "the problem" with the corps staff after it's already happened. They say what, "Don't come back next year and do that!"?

A better approach is for the producer to accept the corps under the conditions the producer elects.

I recognize we're both saying the same thing, except thatIMO, DCI should be involved only to the extent of relaying the conditions to the corps, which I'm sure they'll abide by.

Again, you wouldn't complain to a film studio if someone bothered you during a screening of their movie would you? That's essentially DCI's role in the shows. They provide the show, not the venue, or the experience. They are not in the business of controlling the crowd, whether that crowd be composed of affiliates or not...

Finally something to disagree with.

You're wrong. Or you're at least partially wrong. Yes, it's a sponsor issue. But yes, it's a DCI issue too.

You're right that DCI isn't, shouldn't be and can't be the police at every show. DCI is however the governing body that sets the standard for appropriate conduct for its activity. This is akin to the NFL or MLB sanctioning players for off-field conduct (at least to the extent that collective bargaining agreements permit it). DCI is similarly in a position to demand a standard of conduct for its participants. And DCI, which is the corps, should expect each corps to enforce the standard.

In that respect, this should be a DCI issue. The ushers can go back to flirting with the high school girls.

HH

• Like 1