Sulu was in a drum corps?

George Takei

Some great news: The Boy Scouts of America announced it will be “considering” in its 2013 national meeting the lifting its discriminatory policy of excluding gay scouts and troop leaders. It's about time. In my teen years, I was a proud member of Troop 379 in LA's Little Tokyo and played the bass bugle in the troop’s drum and bugle corps.

539899_471670896195702_1152437421_n.jpg

• Like 4

Heard some of this before but forget the details....

From wiki: He was a member of Boy Scout Troop 379 of the Koyasan Buddhist Temple.

From corpsreps: The Commodore Perry Scouts was a junior marching and maneuvering corps based in Los Angeles, California. They were sponsored by the Commodore Perry American Legion Post 525 and the Koyasan Buddhist Temple.

Associated with the Los Angeles Boy Scout Troop 379, the Scouts boasted 164 Eagle Scouts among their ranks in 1935. George Takei, Mr. Sulu of "Star Trek" fame, was once a member of the Scouts.

Among the corps’ awards were the state American Legion Championships in 1955, 1956, 1962, and 1963.

The corps’ colors were green, black, and white.

[Encyclopedia of Drum and Bugle Corps, 1966; DCW, 6/11/04, p.3]

According to wiki he was born 1937 so wondering what a "bass bugle" woudl have been during this time.

• Like 1

According to wiki he was born 1937 so wondering what a "bass bugle" woudl have been during this time.

Bass bugle was the equivalent of today's baritone which is why George is holding that horn. There were no tubas on the field until sometime in the 50's or early 60' I believe so the baritone had the bass voice. Hence the term contrabass bugle when the tuba finally did show up.

Edited by ScottPREuph

Bass bugle was the equivalent of today's baritone which is why George is holding that horn. There were no tubas on the field until sometime in the 50's or early 60' I believe so the baritone had the bass voice. Hence the term contrabass bugle when the tuba finally did show up.

Actually, there were no TUBAS on the field until 2000, but why quible? :tongue:

• Like 3

Saw the post at work but the pic was blocked which would have explained a lot. :doh: Actually have a "Bass Baritone" (1 valve) in the cellar which sounds like Baris ever since (not just as many notes). Have a "Tenor Bari" from the same era which makes things a bit more confusing.... :tongue:

First contras that I know of ca 1962....

LOL just read the blurb below his pic. Guys gotta a have a great sense of humor considering what crap he must have taken over the years for various reasons. Won't spell out here as it would be considered OT.... #### Bari player.... :worthy:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

George Takei has become one of my favorite personalities since he became a semi regular on the Stern show