Who is finished?

Get over yourself and your NEEDS! It's about the needs of the corps and the marching members. If that doesn't float your boat, then stop going and don't let the door hit you in the butt. Nobody is forcing you to attend. A lot of people pay money to see a show, then it rains, and then they end up seeing a stand still concert. Tough luck, yes; but the money they spent on the ticket isn't going to change the weather, nor is it going to change the process for show design, supplies, staffing, and it certainly isn't going to change how fast the corps can learn the show.

These very complicated shows of today take time. If the entire activity decides to lower the demands and to set a ceiling on such things, and if they put in place a clause that stipulates when a show must be completed, then you can complain.

Its this very frame of thought that will end DCI. I know thats dramatic, but the fans come FIRST. We want fans to stay and continue to attend shows. If this wasnt important, then Cesario wouldnt have made it a point to say something about it. I didnt realize i was being so egotistical by expecting corps to be done by the time the season starts. Really dude?

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 4

Who is holding a gun to your head and making you "pay" for the show? If you don't want to see an incomplete show or one that will significantly change before finals, don't. Seems simple.

I am going to the show Monday night fully expecting to see sloppy drill and lots of dirt in the guard, horns and battery. Heck, that's part of the reason I want to go. Seeing who cleans up the best by finals doing really hard stuff is part of the draw.

I expect the same thing. I expect to see a sloppy hot mess, but finished dirt>unfinished dirt IMHO

But from what it sounds like from reading this thread, it looks as though only one out of the six isn't fully complete.

Or that one of the six is the only one who lets people in on the process enough and has enough confidence to admit they aren't done.

• Like 2

No, and this is exactly why when i started this thread, in my first post I made sure to make it clear the difference between a complete show, and a finalized show. The shows that I marched in evolved, but they were also complete products out of the gate.

Well I'm sure most corps try their hardest to put out a QUALITY product by the first show, and sometimes it doesn't happen. One corps quality is much different than another corps' quality, but each corps has their way of doing things to ensure they get what they want from the program, as well as the audience.

I expect the same thing. I expect to see a sloppy hot mess, but finished dirt>unfinished dirt IMHO

You seriously believe that every other corps is marching the REAL show they will end with? The Cadets aren't deleting the last 50 seconds. They are putting in a different (as George calls it faux) ending.

Edited by Wadep66
  • Like 1

all true BUT theater shows , even though changes will be done dont present a partial program to a paying audiance. I get it, Ive been in this position before also..usually because the drill writer was slow getting it to the corps, as far as does a corps have the people to get the other stuff done..To that Its not an excuse. You know you doing it..get the people to do it..if you cant dont do it......Bottom line is..it does happen BUT score needs to reflect it....judge what is seen, not whats supposed to be there...If it were a #12-25 corps it certainly would be reflected in the score..BUT there's are huge double standard in our activity....and well known..Ive been on the good and bad side of that...

The scores part is something I defintely agree with. If the show can stand on its own, even with some portion not there, or as was posted, a faux ending tacked on...fine. If not, there should be something said. Of course, given where scores are early season versus late, they might say they ARE doing just that. Without hearing tapes and talking to the judges, there is no way to know.

As for prop construction, I'm sure they'd rather have them all done and used from day 1. But I can't see them redesigning parts of their visual program just because the props aren't done on day 1.

Its this very frame of thought that will end DCI. I know thats dramatic, but the fans come FIRST. We want fans to stay and continue to attend shows. If this wasnt important, then Cesario wouldnt have made it a point to say something about it. I didnt realize i was being so egotistical by expecting corps to be done by the time the season starts. Really dude?

I think more to his point, there are circumstances that are preventing the corps from being done when they would like to be. Hell, you've marched, so I know you can understand some factors can come into play when developing a show.

You seriously believe that every other corps is marching the REAL show they will end with? The Cadets aren't deleting the last 50 seconds. They are putting in a different (as George calls it Fake) ending.

No. Please refer to the very first post on this thread, where I explained the difference.

I think more to his point, there are circumstances that are preventing the corps from being done when they would like to be. Hell, you've marched, so I know you can understand some factors can come into play when developing a show.

Right I did march, so i know how hard it is to field any show at the world class level. Which is why im frustrated. They are the Cadets, with such an amazing staff, and the talent pool that they have to choose from is incredible. With that combination, I honestly believe that if you cannot complete a show by seasons beginning, you either shot too high, or have a management problem, and with my respect for the Cadets staff, I cant believe it was a management problem, or at least I really hope not.

Edited by TubaJon

I did. I disagree that there is a difference. Different drill does not equal unfinished drill. No one would even know if George didn't announce it. It would just change like every other show would change. Again, don't pay if you want to prove your "fans come first" argument. People said they weren't coming back when the Cadets used voice several years in a row too. Somehow DCI still exists.