Akron Alehouse

WVU80- the reason the corps is playing to the end zone is to bring focus to the guard who are sliding down the "isosceles triangles". They most definitely were used for most of the ballad as different guard members took turns sliding down them.

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I was focused on the horns in the middle of the field, so I didn't see the guard in the far left end zone at all!

Note to Hoppy: PUT THE ISOSCELES TRIANGLES IN THE FRONT, ON THE 50! LET THE GUARD SLIDE THERE!

(I know, I know, when Hoppy needs my opinion on how to run his corps, he'll call.) :xmas:

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I was focused on the horns in the middle of the field, so I didn't see the guard in the far left end zone at all!

Note to Hoppy: PUT THE ISOSCELES TRIANGLES IN THE FRONT, ON THE 50! LET THE GUARD SLIDE THERE!

(I know, I know, when Hoppy needs my opinion on how to run his corps, he'll call.) :xmas:

i'm wondering how the guard sliding down triangles translates to difficulty in book. Interested in seeing the recaps when they finally announce the scores.

I saw the same thing! To me it looked like a push to the right spot to get him back into formation. I think they were trying to be more helpful than anything else.

to me it looked like the one guy was throwing an elbow to get the guy out of his way.

I was at the show and here is my review of the 6 that performed. I was seated at the top of the lower section right on the 50 so my opinion on drill is that I couldn't see much, but it was an amazing vantage point for music.

Bluestars: Whoa! It's been a long off season for me. I was definitely not expecting that much volume this early. The brass book is pretty well written and exciting. Visually, it looked like it could be pretty cool and quite difficult. They were not too clean, which is a pretty good spot to be in at the beginning of the season. Lots to work on but they should definitely be solid by the end of the season. My only complaint was there seemed to be a missing guard during the drum movement. If I recall correctly, there were 8 or 12 guys on the filed and no girls. Half of the guys had long wooden poles and mostly just ran their drill while holding the poles straight up into the air instead of doing work. This was quite a distraction for me. Obviously will be fixed, but it was kind of annoying.

Phantom: Awesome stuff. They took death to a new level. They were VERY solid and entertaining. No complaints here. I look forward to re-watching this show a few times this year. Note: I'm a pretty big PR fan in general so this may be slightly biased.

Crown: HOLY S*&^! I've never been a Crown fan, but OH MY GOD are they ambitious this year. I don't know if I've ever heard a horn book this difficult. I was so distracted by the sounds that I didn't get a chance to focus on the drill and I can't tell you if I thought it was hard or not. (I did notice some rolling around though, not that there's anything wrong with that.) They got some really awesome stuff going on musically and are probably playing more notes than anyone else ever has. The mini-pits all across the outside of the field add some very awesome effects too. Honestly, this may be the second modern-day crown show I have ever liked ('08 being the other.) I think they definitely have a Championship vehicle. In my opinion, they are receiving a medal at finals. I think I may be okay with it being the gold colored one too. This is the show to watch this year.

Cavies: I'm usually a fan. It's going to be really hard for me to like this show. GE level was about a zero and the entire show seemed very inaccessible to the crowd. From where I was they seemed to have the least reaction of the night. I know that they are an add-on type corps so I think it will be very interesting to see where they take this thing. Going after Crown is not a good thing for them, at least for right now.

Cadets: Wow. This show is a lot more Cadets and a lot less cheesy Christmas than I was expecting. Great music book. Again, I really have no clue on the visual aspect but I did notice this: The backfield stuff after the giant rock out looks great. There's nothing like seeing amazing technique and perfect intervals taking large steps covering a large part of the field. It reminded me a lot of the zipper move from last year. Also, the triangle things are so far away that I didn't really notice what they were using them for. The horn line sounded great! My favorite part of the entire night was the big rock out. Reminded me a bit of Moondance from '01. Very loud and some awesome screaming solos! I was slightly disappointed in the lack of a signature Cadets ending (can't wait until that gets put in) and the triangle things probably need edited or taken out. This show has potential to medal for sure, but I'm not sure on the repeat.

Bluecoats: Again, great stuff. I really loved the first half of the show, but it seemed to kinda die out for me in the GE realm. It felt like when you go buy an album because of an awesome song you hear on the radio, and then about half way through you realize that the creativity of the band is severely lacking and all of the songs sound the same. Don't get me wrong, I did like the show and the first half was really great. I just kind of got bored with it towards the end. I need another look (or 12) at this one for sure. I think they have potential to be great.

Almost didn't stay for the encore because there wasn't going to be scores, but I thankfully did. Bridge Over Troubled Water was nice. I think they played the opener again. Autumn Leaves sounded great as usual (the soloist was sick... as usual.) Then it was over and they started walking out... wait. A small group started playing by the podium. OMG is this what I think it is? Everyone else starts walking back and sets up in a massive group... THE FANFARE FROM '08!!! The crowd went nuts. A fantastic ending to a really great start of the season.

My thoughts on where they'll stack up when scores are announced:

74/75

1 - Cadets

2 - Crown

slight gap

70-72ish

3 - Cavies

4/5 - PR/Coats

decent gap

65-67ish

6 - Stars

• Like 1

i'm wondering how the guard sliding down triangles translates to difficulty in book. Interested in seeing the recaps when they finally announce the scores.

Lol you make it seem like that's ALL they did...

It translates to GE more directly than the guard's repertoire score,

Edited by charlie1223