Why Applaud in the Theater?

I didn't clap but understand the urge. There is less fan interaction in the quiet/dark theater, and some clapping after a big hit is a way of communicating to others you liked a moment.

It's also a way of bonding with the rest of the audience. As I said above, there was no applause at the theater I watched in. Thus, I didn't feel any shared experience with the others in the theater.

Part of the reason I like to go to the movies instead of watching at home is to share the experience with others. Laughing. Crying. Applauding. These are all ways to interact with the rest of the audience.

I remember going to see The Avengers opening weekend and everyone kinda clapped at one scene when the Hulk did something cool onscreen. It was spontaneous. No one did it because they thought the director of the movie was in the theater. They did it because they were entertained.

Really People? 12 reds for the OP because of his honest question? Really mature.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm completely with the OP. I never understood why people clap in the movie theater. Clapping is a way to show appreciation to someone. If the "someone" can't see/hear you, what is the point?

Some of you said "I can't help myself." and "It's an emotional experience". You people really can't help yourselves from clapping? Really? I'm sorry, but it just seems stupid to me to clap for someone when they can't hear you. I'm not saying that if you clap that YOU are stupid, I just think it's pointless to clap at a movie screen. And I know that reading this you are probably thinking that this really bugs me, but it doesn't. I just never understood it and am amazed at the lashing out at the OP because of his opinion.

<snippage>

But I think it's childish to attack someone on a discussion forum for proposing a valid question.

There have been plenty of explanations about the applause phenomenon, and I'll admit to participating. Some theaters and groups are more participatory than others. But I really wanted to address this point raised by our resident movie theater professional.

The OP, in his opening volley, expressed a desire to yell at people, and enforced his opinion by using all caps, usually interpreted as yelling online.

I hope he never attempts to yell at me if we're in a theater when I break into spontaeous applause. He'll get more than Fran's soda and popcorn.

Here's the bottom line: if you choose to applaud, do it. If you'd rather sit on your hands, that's OK, too.

Can we close this thread now?

Garry in Vegas

• Like 1

There have been plenty of explanations about the applause phenomenon, and I'll admit to participating. Some theaters and groups are more participatory than others. But I really wanted to address this point raised by our resident movie theater professional.

The OP, in his opening volley, expressed a desire to yell at people, and enforced his opinion by using all caps, usually interpreted as yelling online.

I hope he never attempts to yell at me if we're in a theater when I break into spontaeous applause. He'll get more than Fran's soda and popcorn.

Here's the bottom line: if you choose to applaud, do it. If you'd rather sit on your hands, that's OK, too.

Garry in Vegas

Hmm...I went back and re-read the OP's original post and I guess I could see how you could read it like that. To me, it was more of a humorous thing than a "threatening" thing but it's so hard to convey intent with the written word. Oh, and that's "Mr. movie theater professional" to you. :tongue:

Also, to whoever posted about people clapping during "The Avengers"...I have to admit, I DID cheer at that part (although I'm not sure if I clapped or not) and I know exactly the part you are talking about. When I think of it in that context, clapping in a theater for drumcorps makes perfect sense. :thumbup:

Edited by Cardman

Garry in Vegas

so in my opening "volley" I state an opinion and ask a legitimate question, and your response (in part) is to threaten a fight and mock someone who runs a theater and can add firsthand knowledge to the discussion? and i'm the bad guy?? what, are we in fifth grade recess?

btw, i intentionally wrote this response in all lowercase so as to not offend you, garry in vegas.

• Like 1

Here is the thing...I just skimmed through this thread. My thoughts are such as with the Heat / Thunder NBA Championships series, quad...do you just sit on your hands with no emotion? Because after all they can't hear you! Are you not an armchair quarterback when NFL season is in progress and yell at the TV when the Patriots / Jets are playing (or whomever your favorite team is)?

These young people work tirelessly throughout the season to put on an outstanding show day in and day out. Considering the pressure of these corps to be further along than many others because of the big screen performance as well is enormous.

I think every person (including myself) has the right to cheer and show appreciation. After all we do it in our living rooms so why not theater?

• Like 2

Giving a cheer in a movie theatre to a Corps that can't hear you needs to be stopped by the Cheering Police and nipped it its bud. This behaviour could lead to future fans at a Sports Bar cheering for a college team in a game where the team can't hear you. And who among us would want to be the first in the crowded Sports Bar to stand up and yell to everyone in the Bar : " STOP IT ! THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU ! ".

Not me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

so in my opening "volley" I state an opinion and ask a legitimate question, and your response (in part) is to threaten a fight and mock someone who runs a theater and can add firsthand knowledge to the discussion? and i'm the bad guy?? what, are we in fifth grade recess?

btw, i intentionally wrote this response in all lowercase so as to not offend you, garry in vegas.

I think you've gotten a lot of responses that you can mull over and see where peeps are coming from. :smile:

Here's where I'll twist the premise and agree that peeps SHOULD be yelled at (and possibly hurt physically):

I've never been to a show yet, in all my years, that some idiot hasn't yelled out "Go Suzy!" (Or Mary- you get the idea) during a soft passage in a Cavaliers show.

Yell at those clever morons? Yes.

Here is the thing...I just skimmed through this thread. My thoughts are such as with the Heat / Thunder NBA Championships series, quad...do you just sit on your hands with no emotion? Because after all they can't hear you! Are you not an armchair quarterback when NFL season is in progress and yell at the TV when the Patriots / Jets are playing (or whomever your favorite team is)?

These young people work tirelessly throughout the season to put on an outstanding show day in and day out. Considering the pressure of these corps to be further along than many others because of the big screen performance as well is enormous.

I think every person (including myself) has the right to cheer and show appreciation. After all we do it in our living rooms so why not theater?

I'm a huge sports fan, and I think I mentioned earlier that of course I jump, scream, and yell at my TV during games that I'm watching (or at LIVE drum corps shows for that matter too). I guess what I was getting at though with the original post was not the outburst of emotion that people have during the shows in the theater, it was more the applause after the show is finished (and in my experiences at the DCI theater events, it usually is more of the token golf clap afterwards as if people aren't sure if they are obligated to clap or not). Maybe I should have been more specific, but the clapping after a show in the theater seemed more to me the type of applause that one would give as a sign of appreciation for a performance well done as at the end of an orchestra concert, or Broadway play, or poetry reading, etc. That's what I was wondering about - why someone would clap in that situation. I'm certainly not expecting anyone to sit on their hands during a drum corps show in the theater (but feel free to if you would like).

Interesting to note that I have asked a number of people about this over the years (both DCI fans and the uninitiated), and not one of them could understand it either.

Regardless, thanks to those who offered some constructive info - made me think about some things in a different way.

For me, it was just an honest reaction to certain parts of the show. I know I usually clap a lot more for the broadcast in August, then the summer preview one (because there is more to applaud for), but it's just what happens when I see something I like. It's habitual, really.