Jersey Surf 2012 Bridgemania

WOW is right! I really under estimated this corps but they are really kickin it this year! Anyone know what their numbers are and how this compares to last year? They look BIG and their guard particularly looks full. They have A LOT of cleaning to do, but if they can, look out! I don't know that they can challenge for a finals spot as the competition is just so fierce but I think they will easily move up from where they finished last year. AWESOME show!

Not sure on guard or percussion numbers, but they have 76 horns and a couple holes still. Obviously, the videos that are out there are not the best quality, they don't do the corps justice. Oh, and they are LOUD. The In The Stone fanfare to open the show is amazing.

As I commented in a post on FB, Jersey Surf have what is easily one of the most entertaining DCI shows I've seen in years. And while the purists among us will wrinkle their noses at the electronica stuff at the end, I don't think anybody will deny that that's exactly the sort of thing that Bridgemen would be playing if they were still competing in the junior ranks today (I can just imagine the Chicken with a box on his head, ala Shufflebot :tongue:)

Can't wait to see them in Allentown!

They have 2 Bridgemen greats on there staff Larry Kerchner on Brass & Dennis Delucia on Percussion. I think they are consulting but they have some input.

They have 2 Bridgemen greats on there staff Larry Kerchner on Brass & Dennis Delucia on Percussion. I think they are consulting but they have some input.

They really surprised me on the reentry after the banana stix. I remember saying "WOW." It was much louder than I expected.

I just saw the YouTube video (and the show for that matter) for the first time. Well I didn't think I would like the concept, but I like the show. To be honest I never got to see the Bridgemen in their prime, but I loved the Velvet Knights. I hoping they can recreate some of that magic. I think if Surf can clean this thing and get it were they want it performance wise....it will be a crowd favorite.

Loved Pure Imagination, Party Rock was cool and very outside of the box for DCI. They have enough trustworthy peeps on staff to clean and fix...I will wait to see this in Allentown. Good luck Surf!

I liked what I saw. I think more cleaning and tweaking as well as some good old fashioned Bayonne humor added in, it will engage the fans.

Easily some of the best and most accessible use of electronics since it became legal.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so question for the percussionists out there. Is Surf doing the snare line single handed 16th note finger trick in the show?

It is written in where the snares come in at the beginning of Party Rock, but it is currently in RLRL etc... mode until the single-hand trick is cleaned up some more

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I just saw this show for the first time at the Southwestern Championship. The audience freaked out for it. Sure, it's far from the cleanest show, but it makes everyone smile, clap along and even giggle at times. If I needed to introduce someone to the activity who heard that drum corps was too intellectual, I would want them to see this show to understand there is balance between the different ways of reaching an audience.

The audience appeared to be having a great deal of fun and the corps got one of the larger standing ovations of the day, and it was for being entertaining.

Bravo to Jersey Surf for being willing to go in this direction.

• Like 4

I counted 74 brass .. full battery and pit .. didn't count color guard. IT's a big big corps.... AND AWESOME to watch OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I counted 74 brass .. full battery and pit .. didn't count color guard. IT's a big big corps.... AND AWESOME to watch OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Unfortunately, they're only allowed to perform once a day. I think they should have a pseudonym and come back in exhibition as a tribute corps to the 2012 Jersey Surf "Bridgemania" show.

• Like 2

Agreed. Unfortunately, they're only allowed to perform once a day. I think they should have a pseudonym and come back in exhibition as a tribute corps to the 2012 Jersey Surf "Bridgemania" show.

This probably has been posted already but I would have loved to see them perform again prior to the score announcements. That was so cool to hear Bobby Hoffman on the pre-recorded narration. He was our designer in 1984 and that voice just threw me back to "the day". Thanks Jersey Surf!

• Like 1