Jersey Surf 2012 Bridgemania

This reminds me of a lot of VK shows. That's a good thing.

This is a drum corps show. Surf, who cares where you place, it's engaging, fun, and has a little old school touch to it. This fits the Crowd pleasing to a T. :thumbup: I love it!

This looks to be such a fun show from Jersey Surf this year. These kids look like they're having a blast performing this show too... and they should. I'm looking forward to seeing it live later in the season.

• Like 2

Okay this show totally sold me with the Party Rock Anthem.

• Like 1

OK. Was that dirty as all get out? It sure was. But boy did I enjoy the hell out of it!! I can see them moving up a couple spots once this show gets clean.

How cool to see them do the "Bridgemen Shuffle"! And that was a nice nod to the 82-83 drum line with that little snippet of "Black Market Juggler".

The only thing I wasn't too sure of was the arrangement of "Pure Imagination". If it were me, I'd change the beginning to a bari solo for that first phrase and then bring in the full ensemble like they did. It felt to pushed or too strong to me. Also, let the sop soloist finish the phrase. It just sounded awkward to me when he just cut off.

But I'm just nit-picking.

Surf, you're one of the reasons my wife and I are now going to the San Antonio Regional instead of Houston. Well done!

However, I think they lost out on a golden opportunity. A uni change to the Bridgemen overcoat via the Vanguard tunnel. :cool:

• Like 3

[edit: never mind. It's not worth it.]

Edited by skajerk

OK. Was that dirty as all get out? It sure was. But boy did I enjoy the hell out of it!! I can see them moving up a couple spots once this show gets clean.

How cool to see them do the "Bridgemen Shuffle"! And that was a nice nod to the 82-83 drum line with that little snippet of "Black Market Juggler".

The only thing I wasn't too sure of was the arrangement of "Pure Imagination". If it were me, I'd change the beginning to a bari solo for that first phrase and then bring in the full ensemble like they did. It felt to pushed or too strong to me. Also, let the sop soloist finish the phrase. It just sounded awkward to me when he just cut off.

But I'm just nit-picking.

Surf, you're one of the reasons my wife and I are now going to the San Antonio Regional instead of Houston. Well done!

However, I think they lost out on a golden opportunity. A uni change to the Bridgemen overcoat via the Vanguard tunnel. :cool:

Randy, good choice! You will LOVE this show. Seriously.

Not sure how much you can take from the video, but man that brassline is LOUD. If there's any show for the Surf to start their season with, it was Bayonne. So amazing to see these two worlds colliding. And if you weren't sure about this show, just wait to see it in person. They SELL it. Hard a hard time getting the smile off my face.

Take advantage of these next few days, Surf!

• Like 3

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

At first I was both skeptical and excited about this show. I thought "Is this really going to work for today's drum corp environment?" Then I thought who cares it will probably be enjoyable and memorable. Now, I have only watched the video and you can tell they have a lot of cleaning to do, but I am willing to bet they are having a blast performing it and the crowd looked like they were eating it up!

So, while I was watching it I had a couple of thoughts:

• This might be the most replicated drum corps show this year on the normal marching band circuit. (or at least parts of it) Which I think is cool because there are some good songs in there to choose from and perform that can be arranged to not be over a general high school marching band's head. I am not talking about the BOA circuit bands (maybe some of them too), but I am talking about the everyday high school marching band that the majority of the public is exposed to week in and week out. (Heck, I thought that this would have been a blast to play when I was in high school!)
  • It is so accessible at all levels of musicality and performance. There is a little something for everyone in it - Old School, New School, basic level musicians, advanced musicians, non-musicians.
  • It was freakin' fun to watch! I cannot wait to see them in Atlanta!

So, I am happy that Surf took this chance to pay tribute to an iconic drum corps, play some great musical selections and have fun doing it. No matter where they place, this will be a DC show that I will remember and I bet most people will be talking about for a while.

Good stuff.

• Like 2

Just watched the vid......

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can tell they love performing it and I can tell you that no one will care where they finish this year.

Maybe the big boys will take a hint and play some real music in the future!!!!

• Like 1