Boston Crusaders 2012 - BAC

Here is Boo's blog from SEMI-finals:

Michael Boo: This may be my favorite pre-show ever.

7:51

Michael Boo: It just sneaks in and the Brandt Crocker makes the announcement, they turn around, and ZOWIE!!!!

7:51

Michael Reed: "Pines of the Appian Way" softly begins, slowly building as the corps enters the field from the four corners. The mounting tension is palpable. Brandt Crocker introduces them, then turn, and....

7:53

Michael Reed: Titanic opening chords. Giant purple, magenta, and burgundy flags fill the field.

Mvt. I from "Pines of Rome" features brass pyrotechnics, with fast triplet passages.

7:54

Michael Boo: The opener combines selections from all three of Respighi's "Roman Trilogy."

Michael Reed: Magnificent 16th note runs passed from section to section. This would be challenging enough to play sitting down, but to do it flying around the field is amazing.

Michael Boo: They're throwing it down!

7:56

Michael Reed: The corps comes together as if joining a battle, then separates for a slower segment from "Roman Festivals."

7:57

Michael Reed: A thick red fabric is pulled onto the field. Rolling out the red carpet for the Titans!

7:57

Michael Boo: This corps has always delivered the goods when the music is loud and bombastic, but lately, they've become equally adept at doing so when the music is soft and introspective.

7:58

Michael Boo: The tension in the build-up to the unfurling of the giant blood red double flags...chilling.

Michael Reed: The music crescendos, slowly building as the corps forms a massive arc stretching from 5 to 5, then continues building tension with the arc condensing to two tightly spaced arcs along the front, and a sea of red behind them.

Michael Reed: More Respighi, with "War Dance." The full guard is on rifles and doing a great job tonight.

8:00

Michael Boo: And there are the "Conquest" calls.

8:01

Michael Reed: Sequential tosses with one member throwing and another catching are appreciated by the audience.

8:01

Michael Boo: Mike; do you feel as much or more energy from them over last night?

8:03

Michael Reed: A trumpet fanfare leads into Mahler's "Symphony No. 1," The only word to describe the scene is dramatic.

Mike, I feel lots of energy, but have also noticed a few minor performance issues in both brass and percussion tonight. However, I suspect their GE score will still be well up there.

8:04

Michael Reed: The Cavies and Boston have been close all season, and it would not be a surprise of that tight spread continues. The Cavaliers are taking the field. Let's see what they will bring to the table tonight.

phpFOvCySDSC_5391.JPG

Taken picture taken just before the big push of “Evey Reborn” by Dario Mariancelli

Boo's blog for FINALS:

Mike Ferlazzo: The Boston Crusaders cracked the top eight last year – and a berth in “Tour of Champions” shows – and appear poised to possibly hold that spot again with this show, which is Boston through and through. "Conquest,' of course, is their trademark corps song and tag in every show, and has that ever been more appropriate for a program about The Colosseum and Roman Gods or gladiators coming down from the heavens to fight on earth?

8:05

Mike Ferlazzo: What I personally love about Boston, the designers knows the corps’ identity and who they are – a bit more traditional, “in your face” drum corps if you will – and they’re very comfortable playing to that each year.

8:06

Mike Ferlazzo: This is probably the best conceived pre-show of the year, with the corps – and our four titan combatants – entering from the four corners of our modern colosseum to appropriately enough, The Pines of Rome.

Michael Boo: Boston Crusaders’ show is titled, “The Titans,” and is in five parts. “Enter the Dragon” is based on Ottorino Respighi’s “Pines of Rome.” “Celebration is based on the same piece. “Ritual” is comprised of three pieces; “Roman Festivals” by Respighi, “Symphony No. 10” of Dmitri Shostakovich and “Evey Reborn” by Dario Mariancelli. “Titanomachy” utilizes Respighi’s “War Dance” from “Belkis, Queen of Sheba” and “Return to the Hall of the Gods” is based on Gustav Mahler’s “Symphony No. 1.”

Mike Ferlazzo: We just heard the familiar cry of "Eat 'em up Boston" right in front of us here in the 400 level.

8:07

Michael Boo: I LOVE this four-corner entrance.

Michael Boo: It just sneaks up on us.

Mike Ferlazzo: They just arrive onto the stage and start playing their show during the Parade of Legions. No need for any serious sound checks or heavy setup, they set the mood wonderfully for the show to come.

Mike Ferlazzo: I love how this show musically sets up for Brandt Crocker’s introduction, right at the first impact hit. And the show is on.

8:08

Michael Boo: Magnifique!

8:08

Mike Ferlazzo: The rich purple and burgundy silks on the tall poles were popular in the Roman Empire.

8:09

Michael Boo: This is a show that sticks with the corps' roots...somewhat innovative, but still easily accessible to old-school fans.

8:09

Mike Ferlazzo: Listen to the crisp articulation from the high brass during Resphigi’s "Celebration."

8:10

Mike Ferlazzo: There is plenty of rigid linear drill in this production, which fits the intensity of the musical theme.

8:10

Mike Ferlazzo: Their red color is so rich on the field.

8:11

Mike Ferlazzo: One recent visual change is how the two sides race to battle now. At the beginning of the season, that was two straight ranks racing to the collision at the 50. But maybe that’s one change to help the scoring as they now race more in an attack mode to meet at the 50.

8:12

Mike Ferlazzo: The “Ritual” portion of the program is positively haunting as it weaves selections from Respighi, Shostokovich and then Dario Marianelli into one emotional production.

Mike Ferlazzo: Can you tell I love this show Michael?

Michael Boo: A shout-out to my 90-year friend Bob Abben, Boston Crusaders' biggest fan. I flew down to Tampa Bay to be with him and his wife the day after the big show in Atlanta...it was his actual 90th birthday. And while I was there, BAC Executive Director Tom Spatero called him to wish Bob a happy birthday. Thank you, Tom, for fulfilling my request and making an old drum corps fan so happy. (After the call, Bob looked at me and said, "The Boston Crusaders' director just wished me a happy birthday," with a big smile on his face.

8:13

Mike Ferlazzo: That baritone solo is rich in Shostokovich’s "Symphony No. 10." Is that the same soloist who did such a superior job in last year’s Les Mis "Bring Him Home" ballad?

8:14

Mike Ferlazzo: This slow, powerful march forward in the compressing arc to "Evey Reborn" from the film “V is for Vendetta” is one of my top goose bump moments of the year.

Michael Boo: Darn...this is searing my ears...in a good way, of course.

Mike Ferlazzo: Oh and there's the vivid red color everywhere!!

Michael Boo: The second of the burgundy flags appears as if by magic.

8:15

Mike Ferlazzo: The color guard appears to be on tonight. No drops and all on rifle.

8:15

Michael Boo: They're firing on all cylinders.

8:16

Mike Ferlazzo: We return to Respighi during "War Dance," replete with the required "Conquest" tag, which sounds so perfect and pronounced in there.

8:17

Mike Ferlazzo: The color guard is amazing tonight Michael. They caught all those rifle exchanges too.

8:17

Mike Ferlazzo: “Return to the Hall of Gods” brings you another off center BAC company front – just like last year during the "1812 Overture" – powerfully to Mahler’s "Symphony No. 1" and is accented beautifully with the rich pink, purple and gold silks as the Gods return to the heavens.

8:18

Michael Boo: People keep referring to this corps as "old school," and so does the corps. But I think "old school" is the new "new school" for many people who love this type of drum corps as being representative of the direction they wish the activity to take.

Mike Ferlazzo: This is a corps that appears like a top six unit, with no apparent weaknesses.

Mike Ferlazzo: I love that pass through of the two ranks.

8:19

Mike Ferlazzo: The crowd is on its feet for the well deserved standing ovation! My goodness that's a wonderfully conceived production.

8:19

Michael Boo: Agree about the top-six comment, and perhaps a few years ago, it would be top-six with little question...but we just keep getting better and better corps on the field.

8:20

Congratulations BAC for your awesome show tonight and an awesome season...You guys were amazing!!!!! :worthy:

Congratulations to BAC for throwing down your best performance of the year and IMPROVING your competitve placement at finals---for the second year in a row!

So very proud of all of you!

Craig Scott