Inside BD 360 trailer

If you missed the video, it's up on DCI Fan Network under the Blue Devils Section. You can see it there.

BD Fans, defend the video all you want. If that's the direction you want to see drum corps go then, to each their own. The rest of us don't want to see drum corps go that way and that's why we're telling you; This video is classless and terrible. Again, to each their own.

Good Night All.

PS- No. This video does not come as a surprise to me at all. I've been saying that this is the Blue Devils attitude since I first got into the activity. That's why I'm not a BD fan. Sorry.

• Like 4

I just watched the video, and while it might be construed as cocky, I would hardly call it offensive. I took it as they didn't like "losing" and are going to work hard to be considered the best! Excelling is what the activity is about .... They just do it with MUCH self-assuredness! They're putting it out there .... If they don't win, will you people who dislike them be happy? If so, YOU might be in it for the reason JUST like you accuse them if being.

• Like 2

I know what will calm everyone down....let's hurry up and get VK back in World Class...that seems to bring BD back down to earth. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks much; I had never seen that. VK could bring the International Space Station back down to earth!

If you missed the video, it's up on DCI Fan Network under the Blue Devils Section. You can see it there.

BD Fans, defend the video all you want. If that's the direction you want to see drum corps go then, to each their own. The rest of us don't want to see drum corps go that way and that's why we're telling you; This video is classless and terrible. Again, to each their own.

Good Night All.

PS- No. This video does not come as a surprise to me at all. I've been saying that this is the Blue Devils attitude since I first got into the activity. That's why I'm not a BD fan. Sorry.

Okay, I just watched the video for the first time.

I must be missing something; all I see is a video produced to help psyche the members of the corps and remind fans that the corps is on a mission, the same one it's been on since I became involved in drum corps in 1975.

Blue Devils don't exist to find homes for stray puppies. While that would be admirable, it's not part of their mission. They exist to try to be at the top of their chosen activity and they make no bones about it. (Granted, puppies like bones, but they'll have to go elsewhere for that.)

Here's a photo of some cute puppies, just to keep things happy around here.

cute-puppies-04.jpg

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 7

All I'm trying to say is that I fell in love with drum corps because I thought it was about music, performing, inspiring young musicians, and getting the crowd on their feet. I did not get the sense that this video was advocating any these things but rather that only winning is important in this activity and that if you even get 2nd place, you have failed. Is that fair or am I misreading it? (no sarcasm intended; it's an honest question).

All I'm trying to say is that I fell in love with drum corps because I thought it was about music, performing, inspiring young musicians, and getting the crowd on their feet. I did not get the sense that this video was advocating any these things but rather that only winning is important in this activity and that if you even get 2nd place, you have failed. Is that fair or am I misreading it? (no sarcasm intended; it's an honest question).

All the "love of the game" stuff IS a part of drum corps. Certainly all worthwhile and very important stuff. There is not a drum corps out there that isn't formed on these ideals. There is also the lesson of working to be the best you can be. That means improving your show and score to it's fullest potential. WE DO KEEP SCORE IN DRUM CORPS!

For those who have won a Championship, there is another part, one that many choose to dismiss, because they know they are excluded. That is the chance to be a Champion, the best of the best. This becomes important to those who believe it is within their grasp. It doesn't mean that's all that is important to them.

• Like 4

Excelling is what the activity is about .... They just do it with MUCH self-assuredness!

There’s a difference between self-assurance or confidence and smugness. As many of the kids in the top corps are music majors looking to teach the world’s kids in the future, I want to see corps developing its members to have a healthy balance of confidence and drive to win, tempered with humility, empathy and respect for others’ accomplishments.

I see drum corps more like the Olympics than like a professional sport. Star of Indiana left to become a professional sports team and have been very successful at it. Having Blast (Star) brag about themselves in a video like this would feel totally acceptable because they are working on a professional stage (and yet all their promotional material contains a healthy dose of humility.) Whereas I expect that the pride of accomplishment is tempered with humility from drum corps and their members in the same way I would expect to see it on the Olympic world stage from someone representing my country.

I was so proud to see the “Miracle on Ice” team on the podium with tears running down their faces as the National Anthem played and the US flag raised to indicate they won the hockey gold medal in 1980. Whereas I’m seldom impressed by the way many professional sports teams and their fans express their pride in winning (with smugness).

But maybe BD’s focus is to develop music professionals who strive for money and awards versus music teachers who have a dedication to develop the greatness in our youth. To each their own. But they won’t see my dollars at their souvie booth again very soon.

• Like 1