Why Do Drum Corps Arrangers Think They Know Better Than The Great Comp

Sam

Don't give up, Get better. Are you talking to Bocook. the BD, the SCV, Crown, Cavies folks?

GO. GO. GO

KEVIN

Ha! Not really. I'm working with an emerging corps in Canada (not saying who or where, tho), but they're only in the drumline stage...we probably won't see brass until next year.

And truthfully, I'm way too busy with my fencing instructing and selling/maintaining the gear to do much arranging at the moment.

Sam,

I am interested in fencing my back yard. Will you come to Louisiana to give me an estimate?

But seriously, my schools, Notre Dame, and St. Benedict's Prep have fine fencing programs. Best wishes with yours and our Olympics team.

Kevin

I'd LOVE for DCP to be able to host a forum where people could put their work up for consideration, but there are copyright and other permission issues there.

What's to keep us from having our own peer review group?

I agree that there's a difference between arranging and transcribing. I wouldn't want to sit in a stadium night after night to hear Wagner's complete Ring Cycle, performed by brass and percussion. I've heard some amazing things from drum corps arrangers. Too many to name here.

One interesting comment I heard recently was in Paul Rennick's Marching Roundtable podcast interview. Paraphrasing, he said he often prefers drum corps arrangements because they tend to get right to the point, the most exciting or moving portions of a composition.

Garry in Vegas

PS Sam, print a copy of your scores, sample them, and send me copies!

• Like 1

Gail Zappa however wants rights if you even hum a Zappa tune in your shower! lol

Not much to worry about there, though. Who wants to hear "Electric Aunt Jemima" or "Mr. Green Genes" performed by eighty horns? (Please, no "Black Page" comments. Delicious ear candy for the Zappa/Bozzio/Steve Vai fanboy contingent out there, but on the field - really?)

Peace :rolleyes: ,

Fred O.

From the arranger, and hope that they have rights from the original writer. I've run into this with some solo stuff. Asked an arranger for permission, only to find out they didn't have original permission. Kind of sucked.

Kinda what I thought....nice to have confirmation from someone who's gone that route. Thanks.

Call Hal Leonard; ask for the department which authorizes permission to arrange; they will tell you differently; so will a legal person from BMI or ASCAP. The publisher, in rare occasions someone else, but the publisher legally owns all rights to the composition (and subsequent arrangements) of that composition.

One of my high school band clients this year wanted an all-Bach show but told me to arrange the book in such a way as to give it some different creative "flair". I write what I am asked to write and get as creative as possible when they ask me to do so. This isn't some conceit we arrangers/composers have...it is almost always ASKED of us by the design teams.

Hmm...I can just see the request..."Brandon, please create an all-Bach show for us, but we want to you to make it better and more interesting than the original work by JSB". :tongue:

Hmm...I can just see the request..."Brandon, please create an all-Bach show for us, but we want to you to make it better and more interesting than the original work by JSB". :tongue:

It was more along the lines of "We aren't paying you thousands of dollars to do a transcription". :tongue:

You'd be surprised what a good old-fashioned Flat-6th chord can do. :devil:

From the arranger, and hope that they have rights from the original writer. I've run into this with some solo stuff. Asked an arranger for permission, only to find out they didn't have original permission. Kind of sucked.

No.

The only time you ever get rights from an arranger is if the arranger owns the rights to his/her own original copywritten material.

Even if an arranger has arranged something previously, it is the band director's responsibility to get the proper copyright clearance, and the arranger should have the self-preservation instinct not to bend to the temptation of an easy buck.

Any good arranger will tell a director that while they've done something before for another group, permission is specifically granted for one year, for that band, and no transfer of copyright ownership has taken place.

Chuck Naffier

Doing this for a living...

1340626322[/url]' post='3156444']

Not much to worry about there, though. Who wants to hear "Electric Aunt Jemima" or "Mr. Green Genes" performed by eighty horns? (Please, no "Black Page" comments. Delicious ear candy for the Zappa/Bozzio/Steve Vai fanboy contingent out there, but on the field - really?)

Peace :rolleyes: ,

Fred O.

personal attack removed - ds Listen to Grand Wazoo, Blessed Releif, Rollo etc. Zappa has so much stuff out there besides the semi commercial stuff you don't even know.

Edited by Dave
removing personal attack