How weak is the Cavies Show?

I hate say it guys. But, I have been around this activity, marched, and been on drum corps staffs for a long time. And, yes anything can happen. But, the Cavaliers are in trouble. This is not something that just happened suddenly this year! This has been culminating since they started losing staff people over the past several years.

New brass arranger and return of old corps director in 2009. Overall placement changes from 3rd to 4th.

New percussion arranger in 2010 along with new horn staff. Placement moves from 4th to 2nd.

No changes in 2011. They end up 3rd after winning everything the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season.

New visual designer in 2012, everyone else the same. Too early to tell where it ends up, because the season is (wait for it) eleven days old.

So after seeing new folks come in to fill every caption head/designer spot (save for guard), in a four year period, Cavaliers have stayed in the same group they've been part of for the last 25 years. Most sports teams would kill for that type of consistency.

• Like 2

Maybe I could have worded that better. I knew Gaines leaving would hurt, I expected that. What I didn't expect was Cavies having a weak guard. I'm not saying Gaines leaving has anything to do with the guard being weaker. Actually I shouldn't even use the word weak, just not as strong as in the past.

What about for the simple fact of the drum corps is younger? Toth is still apart of the program.

That's a non sequitur. I don't mean to be rude but please tell me how Gaines leaving has any effect on the performance of the guard.

visual design has an incredible amount of affect on the colorguard caption, and the opportunities that they have for choreography etc. Guard WILL look bad in a bad drill design regardless of how talented the guard members/staff is. while this visual design isn't HORRIBLE for the guard, it is not close to how gaines usually stages them

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 3

I hate say it guys. But, I have been around this activity, marched, and been on drum corps staffs for a long time. And, yes anything can happen. But, the Cavaliers are in trouble. This is not something that just happened suddenly this year! This has been culminating since they started losing staff people over the past several years.

I was already saying that last year and people thought I was crazy! I mean they took a show with limitless possibilities and couldnt win with it. The oldest kids marching this year were 15 when the Cavaliers last won. If they dont win this year, the oldest kids in the activity next year will have just been a freshman in high school. Idk about you, but when I was just a freshman, i was more worried about keeping my own feet in time, let alone paying attention to who is who in DCI. Its tough to say it, but they are in trouble. Kids coming into the activitie care more about what is happening right now, than what happened while they were in junior high school.

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 4

visual design has an incredible amount of affect on the colorguard caption, and the opportunities that they have for choreography etc. Guard WILL look bad in a bad drill design regardless of how talented the guard members/staff is. while this visual design isn't HORRIBLE for the guard, it is not close to how gaines usually stages them

Agreed and Gaines is one of the BEST guard guys there is.

• Like 3

Worse than the “lederhosen”?

Your comment reminded me of the Dutch Boy Cadets in the early 70's! ;-) Thanks for the laugh.

Hahaha, oh this thread makes me laugh.

• Like 2

I believe in long term trends, not single-year crises. So if the Cavs place 4th or 5th or even 8th this year, it says nothing about the strength of the organization in the longterm, and it certainly doesn't mean they'll permanently become a mid-rank corps.

...That's if they place out of the top 5 this year. Do you hear any fat ladies? I certainly don't. Such little faith and bad vibes, around here!

• Like 5

I was already saying that last year and people thought I was crazy! I mean they took a show with limitless possibilities and couldnt win with it. The oldest kids marching this year were 15 when the Cavaliers last won. If they dont win this year, the oldest kids in the activity last year will have just been a freshman in high school. Idk about you, but when I was just a freshman, i was more worried about keeping my own feet in time, let alone paying attention to who is who in DCI. Its tough to say it, but they are in trouble. Kids coming into the activitie care more about what is happening right now, than what happened while they were in junior high school.

Huh ? :huh2:

• Like 3

Huh ? :huh2:

Huh to which part? My point is, how many of the kids that are marching today actually remember the last time the cavaliers won a title? 21 year old kids marching now were only 15 the last time the cavies won. People still think of the Cavaliers as winners, but its only a matter of time before kids looking for a place to march do not associate the Cavaliers with winning anymore. Thus their talent pool is going to shrink. Its not like it hasnt happened to fantastic corps before.