DCI Changes before Amps/Bb

Double post, sorry

Edited by Steve Knob

Thanks for putting some dates on these things. I was about to do the same.

82 or 83 was the beginning of the grounded pit .. but I believe in 82 they still had to start the show with the equipment harnessed (might have been 81).

The first grounded pit was 1979 Guardsmen (Thanks to Jim Campbell). Timpani, chimes, congas, and keys. Had to be ON the field, carried on by marching members, and the players had to mark time while playing. We also had 6 sets of tenors that year, and I think the two just freaked out some of the perc. judges.

As to horn changes, I went through 3 of them as a member, instructor, and judge (PR to 2 valve, to 3 valve, and to Bb/F). There was just as much, if not more, fussing the earlier times as to the Bb/F change. No valve to 1 (D piston), adding the F# rotor, changing the D piston to F, adding Contras. All had much discussion.

I was at the 2000 BOA summer clinic doing a judge talk to a large group of band directors. Cadets were there with their Bb/F horns, but at the time I didn't know they had actually changed (it was June and there had only been lots of talk, I hadn't been out to judge yet, and no DCP). They played for about 30 seconds and I said "they are playing on band horns, not bugles". The BD's were all confused so I explained the new rules. I noticed because of how much BETTER it sounded. More it tune, better tone quality and intonation, and much better blend and balance. I think it was a change for the good (and I played PR and 2 valve G). As an instructor and judge I see most of the changes as positive. The decline in corps has been much more tied to economics and social changes than switching to "band" horns and allowing electronics (disclaimer - I taught Teal for there years). Most changes have been good and have helped the activity along, and they were going to happen at some time. Let's embrace them and the kids so that they can have the same great experience we had.

Edited by Steve Knob
  • Like 1

Slightly wrong on this one

in 1990 corps could start the transition to 3 valve G Horns (4 valve contras) but you could only do one Voice at a time (and Contras at any time) so the earliest you could have a full 3 valve line was 1992.

I was going to respond on that. Leave it to Phil! One of those Bluecoats 1990 4-valve contras got smashed in the first show of the season. Opening set. :doh:

Edited by mingusmonk

Wow, I just got a big history lesson on this thread.

Do judges still use tapes with all the digital media around?

Not sure about digital recording media today. I think back in the 70's there was an attempt to have judges use 8-tracks in lieu of cassette recorders. This may only have been in the DCI South circuit though. I think the plan fell thru when it was determined that when you are in the south, actually obtaining an available 8-track player/recorder not previously committed to endlessly looping on Lynyrd Skynyrd's Second Helping was actually impossible.

Wow, I just got a big history lesson on this thread.

Do judges still use tapes with all the digital media around?

Judges do use digital recorders now, and from my understanding, upload the tapes to a website called Dropbox that each corps has. Each corps uses their Dropbox differently, mostly sharing files like music, drill, scores, recorded run-throughs, hen etc. The staff can then listen to the recordings before a critique.

Slightly wrong on this one

in 1990 corps could start the transition to 3 valve G Horns (4 valve contras) but you could only do one Voice at a time (and Contras at any time) so the earliest you could have a full 3 valve line was 1992.

many corps started to add 3 valve horns that year, and the Bluecoats had 4 valve magnum bore G contras in 1990.

in 2000 when the Any Key rule passed only the Blue Devils and Cadets had Bb/F horns that year with other corps switching over in the next couple years.

Ok, Contras at any time, that explains how Vanguard had that full 3 valve line in 1992. I remember all of this from watching the finals broadcasts from those years. The Vanguard and BD soloist close up shots clearly showed the 3 valve horns.

I heard somewhere that Dynasty was able ship 3 valve G baritones, euphoniums, and contras over from the Willson factory in Europe. Apparently 3 valve G brass was being used over in Europe before 1990. Any truth to that?

Not sure about digital recording media today. I think back in the 70's there was an attempt to have judges use 8-tracks in lieu of cassette recorders. This may only have been in the DCI South circuit though. I think the plan fell thru when it was determined that when you are in the south, actually obtaining an available 8-track player/recorder not previously committed to endlessly looping on Lynyrd Skynyrd's Second Helping was actually impossible.

You, my friend are hilarious.

size to 135 then to 150

I believe it was 128 then 135 then 150

Then they'll receive the recordings on the road via carrier pigeon. :tongue:

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the Pony Express. Maybe the Troopers would have an advantage there though?

I believe it was 128 then 135 then 150

well he was talking about Changes in the DCI era. so it was always 128 I was just listing the changes to 135 then to 150.