DCI Changes before Amps/Bb

Wow, I just got a big history lesson on this thread.

Do judges still use tapes with all the digital media around?

Not sure if DCI has made the switch yet, but the circuits I've been around the past couple years have switched over to digital media. From WGI to USSBA to local NY circuits.

Edited by zachariaswmb

Not sure if DCI has made the switch yet, but the circuits I've been around the past couple years have switched over to digital media. From WGI to USSBA to local NY circuits.

At USSBA (now USBands) we still received cassettes at the shows we attended last fall. Is it changing this year??

Wow, I just got a big history lesson on this thread.

Do judges still use tapes with all the digital media around?

The tapes are uploaded to a dropbox created for each corps (this was around last year, not sure about the year before). It's incredibly convenient because the entire staff can listen to the tapes on their smartphones on the following bus ride.

I'm not sure what exact media they are using. A couple tapes I've listened to have some audio issues that sound like they might be using some type of minidisc that skips when moving.

Edited by BanditKir

what if not all staff has smart phones

Then they'll receive the recordings on the road via carrier pigeon. :tongue:

• Like 2

I found this cool article on the evolution of the bugle which talks about many of the rule changes related to that instrument:

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Evolution%20of%20the%20Bugle%20--%20Section%204.htm

• Like 3

Some buses have audio inputs and you can play the tape on the bus' speakers. In a pinch just borrow someone else's phone. Or just turn the phone's speakers as high as they go and find a quiet place to listen and remember the good old times gathered around the trusty boombox that ate D batteries like nobody's business.

Lot of discussion about the changes to DCI in the last 10 or so years. What I'm looking for are the changes DCI made from the beginning to before these changes in the early 2000s.

All I'm coming up with number of members off the top of my head.

Drum and Bugle Corps did not begin with DCI either. Prior to DCI there were lots of changes as well, but was accelerated in the DCI years.

For over 30 years, Drum and Bugle Corps had inspections as part of the scoring.

The " General Effect " caption interpretation has drastically changed over the years as well.

Corps were once penalized for marchers (except the DM) from going out of the field boundaries in performance.

In the early years of Color Guard, the Color Guard were males in Senior Corps competition. Rarely if ever were marchers under 21 years old in Senior Corps competitions. Senior Corps were all male for over over 30 years, including the Color Guard.

In the early years of DCI, Color Guards in Junior Corps were either all male, or all female. Rarely a mix gender. Females in the brass line were rare in the early years of DCI.

While we still have 2 all male Corps, all female competing Corps have now disappeared. In the early years of Drum Corps, including the early DCI years, there were dozens of what was called " All Girl Drum and Bugle Corps ". They competed in both " All Girl Divisions " as well as the World Class and Open Divisions.

Some other changes have already been mentioned on this thread... ie, show performance by each DCI Corps in competition has been shortened... we have moved from the " tick system " to the " build up system " in judging... American and Canadian Flag requirements in show performance have been altered or dropped altogether.... instrumentation has been drastically enhanced altered, changed, or scrapped.... style of marching is completely different from " high mark time with feet " to the glide, the run, or the march, etc.... show themes much more prevalent... Guards no longer auxiliary units, but integral part of the show now... tendency for more solo dancers from guard being prominent throughout shows than brass soloists.... more points on current judging sheets for individual guard performers than individual brass performers...... more emphasis on judging sheets for visual and guard than brass and percussion.... much larger units, with maximum number of performers increased over the years..... more upsatirs judges, less on field judges in shows today over earlier decades.... no more post show critigues between judges and staff... fewer full retreats, replaced by more " encore " performances..... competitive seasons shortened by a third over earlier DCI years.... Corps use to do " backfield warm ups " before starting their show in competition, now they do pre show that is both visual and musical in nature..... the addition of the front stationary pit section... more use of props over the years.... DCI shows, including DCI East and DCI Finals on live TV nationally has given way to non TV telecast of Finals and the sales of Finals show competition production to remaining fans..... movie telecast of shows in theatres that in early years of DCI was not available... ability to watch live selected shows on computer that was not possible in earlier DCI years... access to archives of past DCI shows now possible but not made available on computer in earlier decades...... staff can write drill and visual on computers that early visual, or staffers designed sometimes with reams of paper, pencil, and a vivid imagination and sharp recall abilities... Guards change uniforms every year now to fit the theme.... Corps change uniforms more often today than earlier DCI Corps did... more marchers change Corps much more often than in earlier DCI years... percussion lines ( snare, tenor, bass, cymbals, etc ) move much more in their performances than in earlier decades DCI Corps.... Drum Majors pretty much are all on podiums now, whereas in early years this was unusual to see.....oh Man, I've got to stop now as there are so many other changes I've left out and I've only scratched the surface, but its time for dinner now and I don't want to eat my dinner rewarmed, you know ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1