DCI Changes before Amps/Bb

Wow, I just got a big history lesson on this thread.

Do judges still use tapes with all the digital media around?

I know at major shows they have been using digital, unsure about every show. DCA is mostly digital now as are most and circuits

At USSBA (now USBands) we still received cassettes at the shows we attended last fall. Is it changing this year??

Not sure. TOB is going digital this fall with a system designed for us that does not require stafs to carry mp3 thumb drives around. Any type of device with wireless access will allow you to log into the siteand get your recordings within 5 minutes of your performance.

It should be pretty cool. Once the judge is done, they put their numbers into their Ipod Touch, hit upload, and everything is sent to the tab who has a router. They press a few buttons and voila......scores into recap and recordings on the site.

Even better, when done the tab can upload scores to the site so no more 3 Am Sunday mornings for me loading them all!

Drum and Bugle Corps did not begin with DCI either. Prior to DCI there were lots of changes as well, but was accelerated in the DCI years.

To clarify, I got the idea of the thread based on the changes hashed out in the GH thread. Was trying to compare the rate or size of the changes recently compared to the earlier years of DCI. But... my #### near 55 year old brain wasn't bringing up the memories too easily so I changed direction. Well 55 year old brain trying to take a quick break on DCP while working on a database problem. Not enough brain cells left to do both at once. :blink:

Yep. all started with that #### single valve, AL should keep that valve lock in the rules. :tongue:

Changes since I've been involved in drum corps:

1)corps member limit went from 128 to 135 to 150 in Div 1 (world class)

2)DCI went from 3 distinct divisions to World and Open Class. Div 3 consisted of corps under 60 members, Div 2 was corps consisting of 60-128 members.

3)Multiple corps under 1 umbrella organization. YEA - Cadets, Crossmen, Crown(correct me if I'm wrong, but Magic was once under the umbrella?) & Madison scouts/Southwind/Capital Sound.

4)DCI on PBS. Thanksgiving weekend just isn't as exciting anymore.

I'd like to see WHEN these changes were implemented. The only ones that I know of for sure are the change to 3 valve G horns and the the multi-key change. I know that 3 valve G brass was first allowed in 1990, but only one "choir" at a time.

I remember Vanguard starting with Dynasty baritones (possibly euphoniums as well) and Blue Devils starting with Kanstul sopranos. Vanguard had was looked like a full 3 valve Kanstul line in 1992, so I'm guessing the "one choir" rule either expired or was tossed out before that season.

Multi-key brass was implemented in 2000, if I remember correctly, with Cadets and Blue Devils being the first two corps to go in that direction.

Not sure. TOB is going digital this fall with a system designed for us that does not require stafs to carry mp3 thumb drives around. Any type of device with wireless access will allow you to log into the siteand get your recordings within 5 minutes of your performance.

It should be pretty cool. Once the judge is done, they put their numbers into their Ipod Touch, hit upload, and everything is sent to the tab who has a router. They press a few buttons and voila......scores into recap and recordings on the site.

Even better, when done the tab can upload scores to the site so no more 3 Am Sunday mornings for me loading them all!

Nice!!!!

Used to be a gun to indicate the end of execution..I think at the 11:30 mark in my day, with the corps then having a minute and a half to exit the field and finish by 13:00.

Used to have 7-minute prelim drills at major shows. In VFW rules, the corps was not permitted to halt...had to keep marking time at least.

VFW rules also had the 'cadence' caption where the T&P judge would check the corps tempo at proscribed times, and any variation out side the range permitted resulted in penalties...I think they checked 3-times during a show. The permitted range I am not sure...somewhere around 126-132 or thereabouts, I think.

Lost to history with the demise of the Blue Devils Discussion Board was a great review of the 4 eras of DCI, with dates. Briefly: (and I'm sure a few mistakes)

1972-76 - The beginning of drum corps, bugles were 1 rotary valve and 1 piston valve.

1977 - 1990 Beginning of the two piston valve G bugle era. A very exciting time for DCI. Tic system was transitioned out in 1983 and 1984 to begin the build-up era of DCI scoring.

1990-2000 3 valve G bugle era

2000 -present Bb brass era

+++

Sam Signorelli will remember those old discussions, Sam,can you clarify or elaborate? Were there 3 eras? (beginning to 1983?) I can't remember this late at night.

Lost to history with the demise of the Blue Devils Discussion Board was a great review of the 4 eras of DCI, with dates. Briefly: (and I'm sure a few mistakes)

1972-76 - The beginning of drum corps, bugles were 1 rotary valve and 1 piston valve.

1977 - 1990 Beginning of the two piston valve G bugle era. A very exciting time for DCI. Tic system was transitioned out in 1983 and 1984 to begin the build-up era of DCI scoring.

1990-2000 3 valve G bugle era

2000 -present Bb brass era

+++

Sam Signorelli will remember those old discussions, Sam,can you clarify or elaborate? Were there 3 eras? (beginning to 1983?) I can't remember this late at night.

Thanks for putting some dates on these things. I was about to do the same.

83 was the last year of the gunshot, longer (13 minute shows) and the tick system

1990 was the first year of 3 valve and BD was the only corps using them (I believe)

1984-? Instead of Div1-3 there was Class A-60, Class A and Open Class. A-60 was 60 or less members, Class A or A-90 was 61 to 90 Members and Open Class was 91-128 but Class A-90 corps had the option of declaring open class.

Top 25 corps were considered Member corps and did a profit share that paid for their Fuel usage on tour (Was a huge deal then .. would be an even bigger deal now)

Not sure of the exact year, but I believe the All Girl/Class A division ceased in 83?

85 was the year that Boundaries rules changed .. in which Garfield had a dude jazzrunning out of the tunnel to hit the first set of the show on the impact.

82 or 83 was the beginning of the grounded pit .. but I believe in 82 they still had to start the show with the equipment harnessed (might have been 81).

91 was the beginning of allowing members in and out of the pit area. For a good chunk of the season .. Stars snare line came 5 yards in front of the front line at the end of Chester. I also believe one of the corps had some follow the leader drill thru the pit that year . and Academy Musical took advantage of this rule as well.

There was a judging change in 84 for the new build up system

That was changed in 88-90 with a smaller judging panel, different sheets and different criteria. Speaking only from memory .. I think this was a 7 judge panel.

I believe this again changed in 91 back to a 10 judge panel.

I'm sure I missed quite a few changes after that. I lost interest in the 90's, but I'm pretty sure things stayed mostly the same until 2000 with the advent of multi-key and all the junk that followed.

Hope this helps.

I was looking for the gun shot in this thread.

you would have one to start the show and then two shots at the end where the judges would walk off the field ending the judged portion of the show but wasn't GE still judged from the 11:30 mark till the 13 mark? Of course if you went over 13 min you were penalized.

Yea I remember the inspections. those went the way of compulsory in ice skating. If you had a spot on your uniform or a crease was cooked..tick!