DCI Changes before Amps/Bb

There used to be corps trooping the stands after their show and we also had full retreats. Not sure when they took them away from us. How I loved those parts of competitions.

All the changes listed in this thread and they wonder why people got upset causing a huge decline in interest and fan base. Nice to think back to the good old days, though.

Retreats were good for the audience AND good for the corps, IMO.

It seems these days the corps never even get to stick around and see each other's performances.

Doing retreat meant you stuck around and could get a glimpse of the other corps' shows. We also would socialize with other corps while waiting for retreat.

Being on retreat just felt like you were part of a bigger activity.

One of my fondest memories was being on retreat in Little Rock, ARK in 1977. It was the first drum corps competitions EVER in Little Rock. The stands were packed with people who had never seen a show before and they had enjoyed themselves. With all the corps on retreat, the announcer lead the crowd with a demonstration of the Razorback "souieeeeeeee" call. It was the strangest sound I ever heard in my life.

Retreats were good for the audience AND good for the corps, IMO.

It seems these days the corps never even get to stick around and see each other's performances.

Doing retreat meant you stuck around and could get a glimpse of the other corps' shows. We also would socialize with other corps while waiting for retreat.

Being on retreat just felt like you were part of a bigger activity.

One of my fondest memories was being on retreat in Little Rock, ARK in 1977. It was the first drum corps competitions EVER in Little Rock. The stands were packed with people who had never seen a show before and they had enjoyed themselves. With all the corps on retreat, the announcer lead the crowd with a demonstration of the Razorback "souieeeeeeee" call. It was the strangest sound I ever heard in my life.

I didnt care for retreats...being on them or watching them BUT its very different now..I remember when they stopped them something seemed like it was missing BUT because of the way corps have to travel get to a new location practice, show and start it all over again it's hard to even stay and watch others let alone socialize....Also it got to a point very few people were staying for retreats and with social networks and Smart phones you can leave and get the scores sometimes faster than in the stadium....new ball game

Edited by GUARDLING

In 1981 and 82 I played the vibraphone. Me and my back were both very happy when the grounded pit was created.

That was a very good change although I think it has gotten a bit out of control.

In 1981 and 82 I played the vibraphone. Me and my back were both very happy when the grounded pit was created.

That was a very good change although I think it has gotten a bit out of control.

I agree. Since everything is amped there should be no more than 6 to 8 Pit members. It has gotten ridiculous!

Slightly wrong on this one

in 1990 corps could start the transition to 3 valve G Horns (4 valve contras) but you could only do one Voice at a time (and Contras at any time) so the earliest you could have a full 3 valve line was 1992.

many corps started to add 3 valve horns that year, and the Bluecoats had 4 valve magnum bore G contras in 1990.

in 2000 when the Any Key rule passed only the Blue Devils and Cadets had Bb/F horns that year with other corps switching over in the next couple years.

"He who corrects my error giveth me a gold coin." :cool:

I do appreciate that distinction, and I do think it's important to be accurate. On the old BD board we bandied this about to try to decide when it was truly not possible to compare one era to another, in judging criteria as well.

Related to your 3-valve G bugle phase in was the phase in of the 2 valves, but I couldn't remember the exact way it happened. I was thinking that 2 valves were partially started in 1977, and I think you could only do sops only, or maybe contras, and then 1978 was the first full year of all sections with the now iconic two-valve G bugle.

I was also thinking that one of the eras was changed in 1984 due to the complete changeover to the build-up system of judging. Many think that 1983 Cadets were the first corps to revolutionize that era due to their drill, but I remember that it was a mixed system with both tics and build up, with tics being completely phased out in 1984.

Mr. Bluecoats88, do you see the 3 valve bugles the same way? Or does the change to 3 valve G's constitute an "era?"

I'm now thinking 3 eras. Beginning to 1984 when the judging radically changed the corps approach to shows, then 1985 to 1999, which marked the end of the bugle era, and the modern era 2000-present with Bb instruments.

Comments on DCI eras?

Ok, Contras at any time, that explains how Vanguard had that full 3 valve line in 1992. I remember all of this from watching the finals broadcasts from those years. The Vanguard and BD soloist close up shots clearly showed the 3 valve horns.

I heard somewhere that Dynasty was able ship 3 valve G baritones, euphoniums, and contras over from the Willson factory in Europe. Apparently 3 valve G brass was being used over in Europe before 1990. Any truth to that?

Yep. When Madison visited Europe in '88 I remember that some of my brothers had never played a 3 valve horn...

DCE used 3 valved horns in G, but everyone I marched with hated them because of increased back pressure (whatever that means, after all I played the kettledrums...).

not sure when that started, but when I toured with Beatrix in 1991, we brought our 3 valves with us.