DCP Echoing an Emotion of Negativity

Over the past few weeks, there have been certain topics and comments posted on these forums that reflect a huge sense of disappointment and negativity. Here are some of the topics that have been started:

2012 Shaping Up to be a disappointing season?

How does DCI draw in a new fan base? (hinting that the current system isn't working)

Is it really worth it?

Now before you go jump my case right off the bat, I understand people will complain and find something wrong with everything that goes on with this world. But, the posts lately have really been alarming to me.

I've seen statements such as: "This activity is on a downward spiral," and "It really isn't worth it." Maybe these statements are true, I'm not saying they are or aren't, but they sure don't look good on a website promoting the activity. I'm not trying to be the moderator of this thing nor do I want to be, because in the end, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But in the end, I find myself as a 20 year old looking to march next summer, do I really want to be a part of drum corps next summer after seeing these posts?

Like a bad radio program or song, you can turn the channel or in this case skip the post. No need for you to be a Pollyanna, we pay major, major $$ for DCI events, sometimes more than sporting events, so we should be able to speak our mind.

• Like 2

Haha, glad to know there is some humor in this topic. I was just wondering...and figured I'd get those responses. In fact, I do hope to be on the field next summer. Thanks guys. Case Closed. :tongue:

Go to shows this summer and look around at the crowds of cheering fans.

Then think about...or rather don't think about...the drop in the bucket of people here that led you to create this thread.

Then imagine yourself on the field in the corps of your dreams...as one of those performers the crowd is cheering for.

That is all. :smile:

Negativity on DCP? That never happens..... :ph34r:

It's a forum with many different opinions, my young friend. Ignore opinions and go march. If you are 20, time is running out for you to experience the touring side of this thing.

Time doesn't run out if you want to march with SCV, see 1989, I heard you can be like 25 to march with them.

• Like 3

Time doesn't run out if you want to march with SCV, see 1989, I heard you can be like 25 to march with them.

Yeah, but you won't make it to Finals. You could take the Bridgmen/Muchachos/Crossmen method, they at least got all the way to Finals week with their overage kids.

Like a bad radio program or song, you can turn the channel or in this case skip the post. No need for you to be a Pollyanna, we pay major, major $$ for DCI events, sometimes more than sporting events, so we should be able to speak our mind.

youre right BUT I will say ( and if you were a young person here for the 1st time ) it can seem bad at time with some . The interent gave alot of people a voice..thats good and bad and I do think sometimes just because we CAN doesnt mean we should.

Debbie Downer always finds her way to any activity. I guess Ms Downer is inevitable no matter what walk of life or type of forum. I think Debbie sometimes gets her own personal opinions and makes them sound as if everyone thinks the same way as she does. In the end, ignore Debbie Downer as she doesn't have to influence what you think or like about drum corps! The experience you seek will no way be lessened by anybody on this board- Especially Debbie Downer! Go march and have a great time, you'll never ever forget it, and you'll cherish that time the rest of your life:)!!!

DEBBIE: NO YOU WON'T:(

Hahaha

Wes P

• Like 2

But in the end, I find myself as a 20 year old looking to march next summer, do I really want to be a part of drum corps next summer after seeing these posts?

You are asking the wrong audience. Go to a show and ask the performers. I challenge you to find even one that says it isn't worth it.

• Like 3

March while you can. I did two years at a small corps. The first year was a great experience you work as hard as the big boys just get knocked down because your hornline isn't as loud. The second year was my worst experience because the corps director didn't know what the crap was going on and almost folded the corps. After that i went and did some auditions with the bluecoats then wound up not finishing because the drum staff quit. I started late and wish i would have knew more or would have started at a pioneer in high school then went to another corps in college. March drum corps it's the best and worst thing ever. Some days you will hate life but the minute you take that field all that changes. You will make friends for life and have many memories as well. If you don't have the money don't let that stop you. Drum corps is an amazing thing you will never forget and not marching will leave you wondering and perhaps hating that the rest of your life!

March while you can. I did two years at a small corps. The first year was a great experience you work as hard as the big boys just get knocked down because your hornline isn't as loud. The second year was my worst experience because the corps director didn't know what the crap was going on and almost folded the corps. After that i went and did some auditions with the bluecoats then wound up not finishing because the drum staff quit. I started late and wish i would have knew more or would have started at a pioneer in high school then went to another corps in college. March drum corps it's the best and worst thing ever. Some days you will hate life but the minute you take that field all that changes. You will make friends for life and have many memories as well. If you don't have the money don't let that stop you. Drum corps is an amazing thing you will never forget and not marching will leave you wondering and perhaps hating that the rest of your life!

pretty good assesment although I will tell you rethink the money advice...many kids today have put corps in a bad financial place, Corps are looking at ability to pay 1st. Its to expensive of an activity to produce as well as pay to keep a corps and member on the road...MONEY is an evil but an important factor.

Edited by GUARDLING

Warning: I have fewer than twenty posts. That said, I have read thousands. Some were obnoxious, some were delightful, some were insightful and many were forgetful. I read the forum for information, context. and to occasionally challenge the opinions I've formed, not to form my opinions. When someone shares an opinion, I have the opportunity to see the world from a different perspective. I also have the option of embracing or rejecting that view. That's the beauty of differentiating between facts and opinions, objective and subjective, real and ideal. I'd like to think that the common theme among DCP posts is a passion for the activity. That passion may be rooted somewhere in the pre-DCI era, during the 40-year DCI era, or both. It may have been seeded by marching, being the parent, relative or friend of a corps member, or having attended a show. For me, the seed was planted while watching the Troopers rehearse at the elementary school behind my house in the early seventies. As a young, wide-eyed, lil' buckaroo I was mesmerized. You might imagine how much more in awe I was the next day when I saw them in uniform. Tomorrow I will be taking two friends to the Muncie show, one of whom will be seeing a drum corps show for the first time. As fate would have it, the Troopers will be first to take the field. From that first experience to tomorrow's and everything in between, my support for the activity has not wavered. Certainly not because someone raised a concern or shared a view different than my own. To the OP, when it comes to opinions, you'll have no problem finding what you are looking for. If you look for negativity, it is plentiful. If you look for optimism and positivity, they are abundant. My "solicited" feedback: "Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience." ~Paulo Coelho

Edited by mrk
  • Like 3